what is it? 1926 ? Riddle?

mark bush

The car in question is a 4 door. Both front and rear doors are suicide doors. the door hindges are 1 piece tubes that pretty much run the full length of the doors. There is a Paten Pending plate that is mounted to the fire wall on the passenger side inside the engine compartment that reads, Pattened Canada 1926-1927 patten Pending United States 1927- 1927. The windshield has 3 large round headed bolts at the bottom of the frame on both sides. The window crank and door handles on the inside are silver and have an acorn design etched on them. There are also what appears to be silver screws that are along the inside of the doors along the window frames. The car is rusted , but these screws are not (silver? ). The car has an air crowl between the windshield and fire wall that opens to allow air to flow in to the car.

I have looked and looked on the internet trying to find a car like this , but haven't yet. It has been on the ranch here in NM and has been used as a flower box by my wife for years. I am now think of turning it in to a rat rod, but would like to know what it is.

Thanks in advance, Mark

BTW, I have a 1939 ford school bus that is the shortest bus I have ever seen. It is built on a 1 1/2 ton ford dually, 8 1/2 feet from behind the driver seat to the rear for sale. It's pretty ratty, but would make a great hot rod hauler or rat RV. I was going to put a 1995 Dodge daully cummins pick up under it. It has 100,000 miles and gets 21 MPG at 65 MPH.

1939 Plymouth pickup that is also in need of restro.

1931 Chevy 4 door sedan ( old hot rod) needs restro, but all there.

Actually, the main door of most Riddles was at the back. They were hearses, though it is always possible that Riddle of Ravena could have built a few cars. I recall reading an article on them written by Keith Marvin. He would be your best authority.

As to cars that were built with both front and rear doors hinged at the rear, at least Rollston and Walker-LeGrande built Duesenbergs thus. Looking now at Fred Roe's book, add Derham, Holbrook, Barker, Franay, Murphy, and Brunn also did this. I would have looked in Hugo Pfau's "Custom Body Era" but I cannot find it. My reference books go missing when my 23yo son decides to read or study them: I dont complain, of course.

Ivan