Camping next to Hershey fields, Whats the deal?

For the first time since 1970 my family has decided not to sell at Hershey.

What is the deal for getting the spots to park your motor home?

I know there are some spaces that are near Chocolate World and then there is the area across from the new arena.

What does it take to get camping by Chocolate World?

What does it take to get camping at the other places in walking distance to the flea market fields?

How much does it cost?

Thanks!

Kevin

Actually, I know there is open parking near Chocolate World.

I always thought that was know the right person spots. A couple of years ago I was shocked to see this old crappy camper there. I asked the guy how he got the space and he said he just showed up early and they parked him there.

So the question is, what do you have to do to get a space there?

Thanks,

Kevin

Actually, then I guess you should get there early! grin.gif However, unless you want to be towed away I would not try to park at Chocolate World as there has not been legal parking there for several years. I verified this again with HERCO officials this morning. All parking at the meet is strictly controlled by HERCO.

Sorry to disappoint you but these are the facts.

Guest imported_virgilmule

For three years now I have been camping in a private lot located on E. Canal Street (I think) off of Hershey Road (I think). I can drive there, I just can't quite remember the street names.

The campground is literally a pasture (watch your step!) that the owners open up for campers. Obviously, it's nothing fancy, but the owners are very accomodating and really seem like great people. It's about a 20/30-minute walk to the flea markets, and costs only $15 per night. I figure, with all the walking I do when I'm there, what's another hour?

Their spot is the first house west of where the trailer parking is located on Canal Street. You'll see their hand-made sign in the front yard. I consider it the best bargain I've ever found in Hershey!

I am not talking about the Chocolate World parking lot as that is only day parking or handicap.

The campers are parked on the access road that is used by the parking tram and are very near the Chocolate World.

You always have the two million dollar buses with matching trailers, and a dog pen out front on the one straight section and then there are another 10 campers along the tram road kind of between the Chocolate World and the old stadium.

The guy I talked to with the old camper said he came and paid and much to his surprise they parked him right next to Chocolate World on the tram road.

HERCO reserves the "tram road" for the several expensive motor coaches that have had a long standing relationship at the fall meet. Those spaces are provided for by previous arrangements. Any parking behind them will be at the discretion of HERCO as overflow, although according to them there is no plan to utilize this space for 2008.

To make sure you get parking within walking distance of the meet I would get here as early as possible to take advantage of HERCO's RV parking. They actually open it earlier that the meet as some folks are coming directly from Carlisle. Definitely I would want to get here by Tuesday night although I think they still have space afterwards. It is first come first served. Good luck!