How does a car qualify for national car show?

Guest sixsuper

Guest oldslady liz

Just curious about what it takes to qualify a car for a big show.. did it have to be a winner at numerous small shows.. what are the guidelines ..thanks

Guest windjamer

Any car or made for regular highway or road use that is 25 years old may go to a AACA national show and be judged. I suggest you join the AACA and obtain a judging manual. You may buy one for five bucks or download it off this site. You will find lots of useful info in the book and lots of new friends in our club. We are the world's largest antique auto club, and did I mention our current president is a southern lady??

Guest oldslady liz

Thank you very much..i will definitly join and learn.. i always thought the cars should be rated A or B cars..before entering.. haha at least that is what i did when showing belgian draft horses..

There are all different kind of shows. I prefer showing in a Concours setting where it's basically a beauty contest. Club shows are all about authenticity, right down to having the proper hose clamps.

I like having people tell me what they like about my car, not what's wrong with it, in their opinion. Therein lies the problem. So much of club judging is opinion, not fact, in my opinion.

Guest oldslady liz

i like hearing the good things too..but unless you also hear about the negatives you will never learn the needed improvements.. lets face it every car from yesteryear is beautiful and filled with charm and history.. and lots of memories.. i could never be a judge because i like them all in unique or different ways..but if a car is done stock and every nook and cranny brought back to new .. i really admire that!! now if the judge is not qualified or not stating facts that would bother me too..or favortism etc.. went through alot of that at horse shows..but over all most were honest.

Guest oldslady liz

i understand and did not take you that way.. i just added that because of competition in general ..what exactly is concours judging?

In AACA we usually use a team made up of four field judges, interior, exterior, engine and chassis and a Team Captain.

We are not professionals but we have all been trained in the AACA way of judging to keep it as consistant as is possible. Team members help each other as needed. The Team Captian is responsible for talking with the owner(s) if necessary for items that might require documentation.

Don't say you couln't judge until you go through the school and try it. It is a great avenue to explore in this hobby.

Guest oldslady liz

Thank you ..this is all really interesting .. in your opinion to enter a national show does every part in the car have to be authentic to the original parts..down to the bulbs?? just wonder how criticle everything is when you are judged by AACA..and pleased to meet a judge..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldslady liz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i understand and did not take you that way.. i just added that because of competition in general ..what exactly is concours judging? </div></div>

I've judged and I don't enjoy it. It kind of ruins the show for me. I also don't like hurting people's feelings. I judged at a Concours in Canada. In another class there was a fellow that had a near perfect 340 Duster that didn't take anything, probably because it was a 340 Duster. He asked me why he didn't win but I didn't want to hurt his feelings. It's a tough thing to do sometimes.

Liz,

Concours judging is usually based on AACA or CCCA standards. However, they weigh a car's emotional impact as well as it's technical presentation, much the same as horse shows.

Concours d'-Elegance started in Paris in the 1920s, I believe. Manufacturers of fine automobiles, furniture, furs, jewelry and other accouterments of the wealthy would gather their wares in a central place where prospective customers from distant cities could stroll amongst the finest the trades could offer. It was basically the first lifestyle show.

Concours like Meadow Brook and Amelia Island have exactly the same flavor. They take place on golf course lawns and often have vendors offering luxury items and art. Automotive art is its own genre. I also known a few horse people that have commissioned portraits of their favorites. See the similarities?

The real difference between the 1920s event and today's Concours is that the cars are typically not for sale. However, many of the Concours have an auction that accompanies and compliments the show. There's something for everybody. Typically the cars run up through the early '70s.

Don't get me wrong, I like to attend points-judged shows, I just choose not to participate.

I think there are close to 200 Concours in the US. It seems that car collectors are flung far and wide. The thing I like best about Concours is that you get to play amongst the rich and famous, without being either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what exactly is concours judging? </div></div>

AACA and most "make specific" clubs judge to known standards of originality and condition as closly as possible. There is also a points system that introduces a measure of compitition among the cars at that show. Concours judges to whatever strikes the particular judges fancy for that day and show...........Bob

Guest oldslady liz

This type show does sound like a wonderful experience.. just surrounding yourself among the classy cars and classy people and beautiful pristine landscaping is definitly a desirable day..thank very much for your wonderful definition and information regarding the Concours show...someday "hopefully" i will attend one.

Guest oldslady liz

Thank you Bob.. i thought they did judge for originality but i quess i was trying to pry how critical they actually are... but i am sure that is quite hard to pin point if every judge has their own personal opinion, are these all your cars listed? wow!

Liz, I'm sure that others will add to this thread, but be aware that the AACA has a "Drivers Class" (DPC) that's not really judged per se. The car in question just needs to have the majority of its original parts in place. As Dick said, you can read about this on our web site here. This is a wonderful way to start in the AACA, without the pressure of point deduction scoring.

The AACA, something for everyone!

Wayne

Guest oldslady liz

Thank you Wayne ... i will download all the information and join your wonderful club.. you have all been great already!

Guest oldslady liz

Thank you, i will check this site out now,appreciate the info..even if i don't get there my sisters and their hubbys in Norwalk Ct. would love to go..i am upstate ny now, born in Manhattan originally.. but we have the farm now lol.Is this show at this location every year?