1950 Volkswagen Beetle

Bought the car from a VW friend in CT back in 1987; got it finally registered in CT in 1999, following a minor cosmetic fix-up. Have been driving it occasionally for local car shows & parades here & there...until finally it developed an ignition problem a few years ago that caused it to sit again for a few years.

The car is basically very rough--extremely well-worn, that is--though also quite solid and relatively complete. No plans for restoration in the forseeable future (maybe after I retire?!). Definitely happy to have it running and drivable once again.

50BugGlfrd11May08ForAACA.jpg

More background info about the car: http://members.aol.com/commongear/1950VWMain.html

As of this past weekend, I got the proper body-color-only wheels (two-tone is not technically correct for 1950) finished and the basic blackwall tires mounted. Finished off with some small-logo hub caps, another "technical detail" for the 1950 model year Beetles. Most experts also seem to agree that whitewall tires were quite uncommon on Beetles back in this era, hence our choice to go with the blackwalls also, in the interest of "period correctness."

50VWStonyCreek17May08A.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DizzyDale</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dear SS,Love those blackwalls!NOW if we could get all those Model As and early Ford V-8s to ditch the wide whites.Thanks for sharing.diz </div></div>

Thanks Double-D!

I realize whitewalls are a personal taste thing (which is why we put them on the car in the first place). Just got the itch to go for more of a proper period look. Certainly not going to throw out the other wheels/tires. But definitely enjoying the new understated looks of the old VW.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stock_steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> blackwalls ... in the interest of "period correctness."

</div></div>

I agree with DD. More like in the interest of making it look better. Now it's a real head-turner. Good decision!!! And the smaller VW hubcaps look much better too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stock_steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> blackwalls ... in the interest of "period correctness."

</div></div>

I agree with DD. More like in the interest of making it look better. Now it's a real head-turner. Good decision!!! And the smaller VW hubcaps look much better too. </div></div>

Thanks West--I can tell you have a bit of Vintage VW background also--I recall the '57 Ghia--any others?

Lots.

I grew up in the "way back" of a 1962 sedan.

Then moved up to a 1965 Type 3 notchback...

which led to a 1969 wagon.

I took my driver license test in a 1975 Scirocco, which was bought with the trade-in of a 914 Porsche

Then came the 1957 Karmann Ghia

I bought a 1978 Scirocco upon getting my first "out of school" job

Then bought a 1984 Rabbit Wolfsburg Edition

My son purchased a 1983 Scirocco Wolfsburg edition last year, and we work on it together every chance we get

My brother currently owns a 1966 "Beetle"

Guest Alex1944

Looks good Steve! I like the Blackwalls better..(more primitive!) Have fun driving it this summer. Alex

The "VW guys" are coming out of the woodwork!

Wow, West, I'm impressed--and family members catching the, ahem, "Bug," too--that's very cool.

Thanks Alex! I know you remember our '50 from way back when Tom S. owned it--it really hasn't changed much--but yes, you can bet we'll have some fun with it this summer. I'm already having a ball driving it around town as part of my MAJOR "hobby" (which has far-overtaken old cars at this point): *driving kids around to stuff*!

Diane's older sister has also recently granted me permission to borrow the nickname she came up with for her old (& long-gone) '64 Bug, back in the '70s: "Thrashwell"--it certainly seems quite fitting for this '50 VW!