Vin Decoding to find paint color

Guest adam_knox

Guest adam_knox

So I've decided to go ahead and paint the car, but the previous paint job pretty much covered the original paint beyond recognition. For my 49 Chrysler Windsor, can I decod my vin and body number? I thought in my shop manual or parts manual there was a page, but I can't seem to find it. Nor can I find a website for 49 Chrysler decoding. Is this something I need to get the build sheet for? Is the build sheet worth the 45 bucks? Anyways, sorry for all the questions, just sometimes wish I was a Ford or Chevy guy so I would have info and parts as easy to find as a neighborhood pub in Wisconsin! (Not that I'm really complaining, there are some makes that REALLY have it bad! Plus, I got all the fine folks I've met in the world with a heart for "littlest" of the Big Three!) =)

Body # 744-1838

Engine # C4536167

VIN # 70752472

Guest imported_Bill-W

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adam_knox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I've decided to go ahead and paint the car, but the previous paint job pretty much covered the original paint beyond recognition. For my 49 Chrysler Windsor, can I decod my vin and body number? I thought in my shop manual or parts manual there was a page, but I can't seem to find it. Nor can I find a website for 49 Chrysler decoding. Is this something I need to get the build sheet for? Is the build sheet worth the 45 bucks? Anyways, sorry for all the questions, just sometimes wish I was a Ford or Chevy guy so I would have info and parts as easy to find as a neighborhood pub in Wisconsin! (Not that I'm really complaining, there are some makes that REALLY have it bad! Plus, I got all the fine folks I've met in the world with a heart for "littlest" of the Big Three!) =)

Body # 744-1838

Engine # C4536167

VIN # 70752472 </div></div>

Your VIN (serial number) is a sequencial numberic number with nothing to decode. Mopar decodables started with the 1959 models.

The first 1949 Chrysler Windsor built at the Jefferson Avenue plant in Detroit had serial number 70725001, the second was 70725002, the third, 70725003, etc., with the last one being 70793638, for a total of 68,638.

Production at Los Angeles started at 65002001 and ended ar 67010795 (8,795), while the plant at Windsor, ON, started at 99700001 and ended at 99702880 (2,880). No convertibles or wagons were built at Windsor.

There might be a small plate attached to the firewall with the first line with "Chrysler Sales Division", or something similar. One line should have "PNT" (or similar). The numbers beneath it are for your paint colours.

Body # 744-1838

"744" is the Chrysler Windsor convertible

"1838" is the sequential number for the body. If the numbering started at "1" it is the 1,838rd convertible body built while a "101" start would mean the 1,838th built.

Engine # C4536167

C45 - model number for the 1949 six cylinder Chrysler models (Royal and Windsor). The eight cylinder 1949 Chryslers were C46 (Saratoga, New Yorker and Town & Country) and C47 (Crown Imperial).

36167 - This was the 35,167th C45 engine built. The first one was C45-1001.

The build record is worth the $45. It will tell you when your car was built and shipped. The card also has the serial number, engine number (pre-unibody models), transmission, axle, tire and option details. Should also have the dealer that sold the car new.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

Identifying your car's original color and getting paint mixed is a cinch. Doesn't cost anything either.

The body tag is on the driver's side of the firewall. It was printed or silk screened then the numbers stamped in.

In case yours is worn or obliterated the info on the tag is as follows:

Top line, Model.

Second line, Body No.

Third line, Paint Code

Fourth line, Trim Code.

Find the paint # stamped on the firewall body tag. Take it to your paint dealer (auto parts store). They will be able to look it up. If their computer does not go that far back they may have to ask the home office which will take a day or so. But they can get the color and the formula to mix more of it too.

Incidentally the info about the body plate comes from my 1951 DeSoto. I assume your 49 Chrysler uses the same plate.

Guest adam_knox

Hey thanks much! I'll be crawling around the car today sanding, so I'll put that tag on my list of things to find!

Guest adam_knox

Hmm...I'm not seeing the tag. I checked in the doors, where the VIN number is, and the engine compartment. Is the firewall the metal behind the motor and infront of the dash? Looked there, but only a Chrysler tag and body number tag. Should I be looking somewhere else or am I just blind? confused.gif In the meantime I've been sanding and getting off some of the orange peel from the previous paint job. Alright, my fingers have finally unthawed, so it's back outside I go!

Guest imported_Bill-W

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rusty_OToole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Identifying your car's original color and getting paint mixed is a cinch. Doesn't cost anything either.

The body tag is on the driver's side of the firewall. It was printed or silk screened then the numbers stamped in.

In case yours is worn or obliterated the info on the tag is as follows:

Top line, Model.

Second line, Body No.

Third line, Paint Code

Fourth line, Trim Code.

Find the paint # stamped on the firewall body tag. Take it to your paint dealer (auto parts store). They will be able to look it up. If their computer does not go that far back they may have to ask the home office which will take a day or so. But they can get the color and the formula to mix more of it too.

Incidentally the info about the body plate comes from my 1951 DeSoto. I assume your 49 Chrysler uses the same plate. </div></div>

That particular style of tag was used on cars built by Chrysler of Canada from at least 1935 through to 1965. For 1966 they started using the same tag as in the U.S.

The American-built postwar Chryslers, if they had a data tag (not sure what year it was adopted) used a style similar to the 1966 - a line with info on the order number, paint, interior and body style. Plus some info on the options installed on the car.

By the way, I am trying to complete a list of the codes and colour names used by Chrysler of Canada. I have them from 1937 to 1941 plus 1949 to date.

I am also trying to collect the examples of the colours used. Presently I have 1941 plus 1954 to date.

So, if anyone can help with any of the above information I would be most grateful. You can email me directly at wwatson6@shaw.ca .

Bill

Vancouver, BC

I had a US made 1951 New Yorker, it had the same info in a different format. I don't recall exact details but I know the paint code was on a plate on the firewall. I gave the code to the local Sikkens paint dealer, they identified the colors (2 tone) and mixed them up for me.

Don't have Chrysler colors will DeSoto do? My DeSoto shop manual lists all colors for model S13, S14 and S15 (1949-51). It gives the color names and Ditzler and Briggs numbers. Would the Briggs numbers be the factory codes?

Guest adam_knox

This reminds me of one of those "Where's Waldo" books! I don't see the darn stamped number plate anywhere! Sigh, the Chrysler plate is a generic plate, with nothing stamped, unless its on the back, its held in by two phillips screws...Other than that I have the Body number code above it, and neither of those seem to be "Waldo!" Anyways, I sanded it down today, and I think the original color is "Mist Blue." The weird thing is that my blue on the car seems to be brighter... confused.gif

Guest imported_Bill-W

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arcade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Bill W,Do you know the paint colour for paint code number 28 for my 39 c22 Royal,. It is a bit hard to read but I am sure it says just 28.thanks Warwick. </div></div>

I do not have a "28", but there is a "1528" for Regency Blue for Canadian cars. CIL/DuPont code is 246-52267. Have yet to track down which American car or truck, if any, used that paint colour.

CIL's Canada-only colours (before the war) were four digits starting with "8". The five digit numbers were U.S. DuPont codes. The Canadian 1940 Chryslers used a Chateau Green, 246-51252, which was a colour used by Buick from 1937 to 1942 - known as "Coronary Green" in 1937.

The American Chrysler had no "28" code. As you are in New Zealand, there is a possibility your car was painted in New Zealand (or Australia) and the firm used different colours than either Chrysler in Detroit or Windsor.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

Thanks Bill, I have looked again and I am sure the number is 28. The car was originally either metallic Fawn or green from what I can make out.Car is from the USA,as opposed to exported from Canada ,cheers Warwick.

Guest adam_knox

Well, I don't feel stupid, but I am dissapointed. Looked at a picture of the inside of a 49 Chrys and saw the ID tag you are talking about...Alas mine was removed...=( I can see the two holes where it was removed. So if anyone sees a tag with my VIN on it lying on the road somewhere, let me know!