Hello...is this thing on?

Order_of_the_fly

Hello all!

My name is Lance and I just bought a 1990 Reatta coupe this past weekend and I gotta tell ya, I'm super pumped that I found this site because I am in <span style="font-style: italic">way</span> over my head.

She has about 252,000 miles on it and from what the mechanic says is in damn good shape for being "such an old bird". All in all she sounds great and runs even better but I still would like to do some work of my own if not for a smoother idle and shifting but to at least get to know her better.

Which brings me to my question: Is there anything on a minor scale that I can do in a weekends time to maybe flush her out and squeeze out some better performance? Also my oil gauge is spiking, could this be my sender?

It does have a almost new tranny(50K)but it seems to jerk too hard when I down shift. I was reading some past posts on using Sea Foam but failed to see if it really does make enough of a difference to even bother. I understand that using it could possibly grant both of my wishes and for the small dollar price why not give it a shot...but, I would love to have some other options in the event that it does nothing.

I'll try to get some photos up when it finally stops raining here.

Much thanks.

Welcome to the forum! You have come to the right place to get help with your Reatta.

The first thing you should do for your Reatta is go by Reatta.net and take the brake test that can be found there. Report the results here and we will help if you have problems. The Reatta has a unique brake system that can be problematic if not kept in good condition. You also need to flush the brake system. (Also found on Reatta.net.)

The oil pressure sender is a common problem and replacing almost always cures your problem.

Referring to the transmission you say "when I down shift".. Is there a problem when the transmission shifts on its own?

Thanks Ron, I'll check out the brakes tomorrow. Sorry to sound confusing but when I'm in drive and the car is shifting to lower gears it jerks a little.

It also started(as of maybe 4 hours ago)making a strange noise when idling. It sounds like compressed air being released at maybe 20 second intervals and never for more than a second at a time. I cant seem to locate where its coming from and when I turn on the A/C it has no effect on the noise(the a/c works fine though).

I plan on taking it in tomorrow to have it checked out.

Any thoughts?

Guest Drake

Hello & Welcome.

I had similar problems with my transmission about six months ago. I did a complete fluid flush & filter, and I also used a bottle of Lucas transmission addative ( 24oz.). I also changed out the modulator valve ( top hat looking item attached to the side of the transmission near the radiator). Also check all of the vacuum hoses you can find under the hood. The knowledge you will gain from the experts ( myself not included) on this Forum is outstanding. If it wasn't for their help, I would have sold my Reatta a week after I bought it. Again Welcome, and Good Luck.

Welcome to the world of Reatta's. Ron is right about the brake test. #2 stay away from stealerships for repairs. They replace parts that don't need replacing. Common items are:

headlight motors(250.00 each at a dealership, less than 100.00 (both sides)for replacement parts and advice from us).

TEVES brakes. brake test will save you hundreds dealer will tell you the whole thing is shot.

electricals. With all the relays, switches, features, etc... stuff wears out or gets corroded. Buy a can of contact cleaner and a voltage/continuity tester. Most times it just needs a good cleaning.

Stop here first.

Your noise sounds like a vacuum leak. Perhaps at the fuel pressure regulator. It may be affecting the trans modulator. Check all the vacuum lines. The plastic is getting old and brittle.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I actually figured out what the "compressed air" sound was, my belt slipping on my alternator when it was trying to seize up. I was stopped and waiting for a train to pass this morning when she locked up on me. Luckily I only had about a mile left to drive so I unhooked the belt and drove her the rest of the way. I can't believe how locked up it is, at least it was a cinch to take out. I had to order a new one from O'Reillys which should be here around 7:30am tomorrow.

Aside form it being just old do you think the belt could have been too tight and that might have caused it to seize?

Guest MauiWowee

While you have the belt off, check the tensioner. It should move up and down and spin freely. They do not cost much and have been known to fail. cool.gif

Yeah, surprisingly easy to take out and hook up. I actually had a private "mechanic" help me with the belt and he used a tire iron to brake off about a 1/4 inch size spot on the lip of my tension wheel. I doubt its big enough to be a problem but I would still like to replace it if not for my own OCD then for what Maui said.

Where does everyone buys parts, not locally but online? Please tell me theres some lost treasure trove of Reatta parts sitting in a warehouse next to the Ark of the Covenant.