TC fuel pump

Can anyone give me an idea as to how long the fuel pump will last on the T/C's? A friend came down to see me and he stopped on his way home and the car would not restart. Diagnosis; was cooper in the fuel filter, resulting to replace the fuel pump.

Guest REDMAN

there is no life line to a fuel pump or any other mechanical item .i just replaced one on a mopar that gave me over twenty years service ,what got it was the 10 years storage ,and foul gasolene. if you are careful where you buy your fuel [ at a busy station ] and not when they are filling the station tanks ,that stirs the tanks .its possible a pump will last a few miles or may never need replacing check and change your filter often ..

Mark, glad you are doing OK.

The fuel pump will last hundreds of thousands of miles if no contaminates get in the tank and the tank in not run under 1/4 full. Fuel pumps in-tank use the gasoline for cooling. Running low on gas overheats them and reduces the life as well as "oxy-gas" that is more than 90 days old and does not have Stal-bil additive. I lost one last year because I forgot to put additive in the tank when I stored it.

TC Parts. That means since I have had my car I use it as a daily driver using Hi octaine and once a year run an additive through it, never let it go below 1/4 of a tank. Makes cents to me. Thanks again for the info. cool.gif

Some pumps are more prone to failure than others. GM Truck and SUV fuel filters are notorious for failing.

I had my LeBaron with the 2.2L turbo engine for 233,000 miles and never replaced either the turbo or the fuel pump. I did always use premium in it.

I am famous for running the gas tank down to fumes and buying the cheapest gas I can find. My hubby constantly berates me for doing this for the reasons stated above. They do make sense. But I've never had a fuel pump failure. Ever. And I have had no less than 5 vehicles go well over the 200,000 mile mark.

I think sitting for extended periods and being a garage queen has more to do with it than anything. Every fuel pump failure I've encountered with friends cars has been in cars that are not driven regularly. This is just my opinion and experience.