1947 56C

DaveP

I'm in the process of buying my first Buick - they're not all that common over here in New Zealand and as far as I know there's only two 1947 56C convertibles on the road in the country. Only found your site last night and am utterly amazed at the facility that's been created for car lovers. Will look forward to talking more and posting photos as time goes by.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear DaveP:

On your car there are some numbers on a data plate on the firewall under the hood. These numbers are called "Paint code", "Trim code", and "Body Number". Also, you should find a small plate mounted on the top of the car frame behind the battery (It's tough to see !!). That's called the "Frame Number". On the side of the engine next to the distributor, you will find another set of numbers which is the "Engine Number".

If you post these we can tell you where and when exactly the car was built, if the engine is original to the car, and what color paint and upholstery was installed originally. These numbers will be important to you so that you don't buy parts that won't fit your car.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest ewing

Hi DaveP and welcome to the site! I have a 47 76C and would love to see pictures of this car you are looking at. I have some extra pieces left over from my restoration, so if this car needs a restoration, maybe I can help you.

That's great. The car is a few weeks away but when I get the details I'll post them here. She has a bit of a history in New Zealand; was sold new in Hilo, Hawaii, and brought out here by writer and film producer Ron Helmer. Was blue in those days but was cpainted black and converted to right hand drive many years ago. Have sold my 74 corvette, cobra replica and 240Z to make way for this beauty. Many thanks for your assistance.

Thanks John for your generous offer. There will be some things needed but I've not got the car yet so ....... It runs well and looks good, but the left sill is quite poorly repaired and some of the stainless trim items such as on the right rear wheel spat have been badly remade in some sort of alloy and chromed. Will be looking for a boot (trunk over your way I think !!) handle, ash trays in the back and the swivelling antenna, but the upholstery is good and she drives well, so a great start to my association with Buicks. At this stage I intend to keep her on the road and tidy up rather than do a complete restoration. Can we sway email addresses here ? Dave.