'62 with Road Draft Tube

kilkm

I have a '62 Electra convertible with a 401 that has a road draft tube. Sometimes cruising with the top down I notice fumes in the car that I suspect are from the draft tube. I've considered going to the PCV system used on the '63 and later models, but I really like the clean look of this nailhead without any of the PCV hoses. I found a diagram in an assembly manual for this '62 that shows an adapter that replaces the draft tube. A PCV valve is connected to the adapter and it is routed to the back of the carb, discretely hidden from view for the most part. I've ask a few people about this and even shown them the diagram, none recall this set up and have told me that some of these sketches never made it to production. Does any one ever recall seeing this set up on a '62 model nailhead? I could probably make the adapter to replace the draft tube, not sure if the PCV valve for a '63 would be the right one to use. This is a well vented engine with breather caps on both valve covers and the big draft tube venting out the back of the valley pan. I just wonder if I tried making an adapter with a PCV valve if it would provide adequate vetilation for this model engine or would I start blowing oil out the breather caps? I'm interested in anyones opinion or if anyone ever saw this set up on a '62.

Guest Bluesky636

I don't have a Buick (1964 Ford Galaxie), but I highly recommend that you switch to a PCV system. What you are experiencing is fairly common with road draft tubes. Also, if there is nothing to block oil, you will probably find the underside of your car covered in oil.

In 1963, the Ford 390 engines used a road draft tube except in California, which required a PCV valve. In 1964, the PCV system was standard nation wide.I would recommend that you just go ahead and install the 1963 Buick system for that engine if it is available. You will know it works and you don't have to spend time rigging up things. Also, if you go with the PCV, you only need ONE vent to supply fresh air to the system. A PCV system is basically a controlled vacuum leak. You only want one path in and one path out of the engine for air and fumes to flow. To add a second vent will break that vacuum path and increase the risk of oil blowing out of the vent caps.

Good luck and let us know how things work out.