1933 Packard Victoria 1002

Guest superods

Guest superods

I have an opportunity to purchase the subject automobile. My question is pricing. This is a "driver". The low medium and high values in NADA are 96...169...271. Are those representative numbers? Anyone know how many of the 33 straight 8's exist today? Any comments any information would be appreciated...and most helpful in me making an informed decision. Lastly ...what would you pay for a driver? thanks

I have notice quite a difference between the Eights, Super Eights and V12 for the 32-34 open models. A number 1 33 super eight sold at an auction this spring for $414K. Talking to someone who knew someone at the auction, they indicated it was a flawless car. Normally I would a top 33 Super eight at $250-275K. A top notch eight I would put at $175K; a driver at $125K.

Top V12 in the 32-34 are bringing 400K-600K.

Close cars are for super eights and eights are easily under 100K for a number 1 car.

If you're not sure of the market yourself, you might consider hiring a professional consultant/appraiser to take a look at the car and answer these questions. It might cost you $1,000 to have a pro go look at the car and write up an appraisal and assessment, but that's a very small fraction of the value of the car, especially if it's a convertible victoria. Plus, a pro can identify needed repairs and issues that could easily run you $5,000 each if the car has problems (assuming you're not in a position to do a lot of work on the car yourself). Just a thought.

Guest imported_Speedster

I'm still confused about the difference in Auction prices and Real value ??? Can you really go by Auction prices to determine the general value or should one only use book prices and Ignore what they sell for at Auctions, since they are usually so Radical.

Good question, Speedster. I think it depends on whether the car you are buying usually sells at auctions. If so, then that is the value. If not, then the auction prices may be "off" of the usual market prices. My 2 cents, anyway.

Guest superods

It is not a 5 passenger coupe. It is the convertible victoria. The website is http://www.nadaguides.com . The 33 1104 convertible is 120...210...338. I am assuming that is the larger engine longer wheelbased car.

An RM auction back in Dec 2007 had a 1002 standard 8 ...which was described as a 20 footer... sell for 99k. My opportunity is at far less cost. If it is in the condition the seller states, it would be a solid investment. I am just wanting some other espert opinions to give me the impetus.

I just offered 28k for a 34 5 passenger. Will see it next monday. It is also a driver. Significant cars has a 33 5 passenger that the owner is stuck at 50k. Runs for crap. I have a 32 that is a true "project". I will do it one day but having an automobile that drives and has all the parts is a better way to begin a restoration.

Relax Speedster...no plans to anything to the car other than drive it.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superods</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Relax Speedster...no plans to anything to the car other than drive it. </div></div>

Great, I will be able to Sleep tonight, Now! grin.gif

Guest superods
http://www.manheimgold.com is another pricing guide that is far more conservative and to me more realistic for those automobiles used every day. The 33 victoria convertible is as follows....fair 64 good 75 exc 95 and show is 110 with a loan value of 68k. I am suspecting this vehicle is either fair or good. That means if I buy it for a little less than 50k...I could enjoy it for a few years and hope that it appreciates some in additon to the values listed in this site. If I could sell it for 15% more than I bought it for and used it for two years...that would be a worse case senerio. Just thinking out loud.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1935Packard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the auction prices may be "off" of the usual market prices. </div></div>

I suppose it mainly depends on if you are the Buyer or the Seller, as to which is best to go by. grin.gif LOL grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superods</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.manheimgold.com is another pricing guide that is far more conservative and to me more realistic for those automobiles used every day. The 33 victoria convertible is as follows....fair 64 good 75 exc 95 and show is 110 with a loan value of 68k. I am suspecting this vehicle is either fair or good. That means if I buy it for a little less than 50k...I could enjoy it for a few years and hope that it appreciates some in additon to the values listed in this site. If I could sell it for 15% more than I bought it for and used it for two years...that would be a worse case senerio. Just thinking out loud. </div></div>

Show me where you can buy a show 33 Eight convertible victoria for $110 and I buy 10 of them for resale. That $110 is way off. I find the NADA guides for whatever reason, are more accurate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm still confused about the difference in Auction prices and Real value ??? Can you really go by Auction prices to determine the general value or should one only use book prices and Ignore what they sell for at Auctions, since they are usually so Radical. </div></div>

No such things as book value in the Packard world. Prices will vary. Because these car are so few in numbers, I think you need to use all the data you can get. Auctions like private sales can be all over the map. If two people get lock into a price war, maybe the price can be unrealistic and overpriced. I always hear that auctions are always overpriced, but at the March RM auction a 32 eight roadster sold for $148K. It appeared to be a 2ish car. It just showed up on Hyman LTD webiste, who's a dealer. Guaranteed the asking price will be $190K and he will let it go for $180K-$168K. This car should give you a good indication of 32-34 eights value as the dealer is buying a car with the intent to resell.

Any bets on :)the asking price?

Guest superods

Birdman....I appreciate your vigor. I am just like you in that regard. I too think manheim is very conservative in their numbers. When and if I complete this transaction, you will be the first to know. He wants 50k.... I am at 45 in my mind. Heck 5 grand is 5 grand. I have not gotten photos as yet. If they are as he states I am happy to pay the man 50k for this vehicle...and I believe if it were restored to original it would be worth some money. Unfortunately the straight 8's which cost you just as much to restore do not fetch the money the super 8's do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superods</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Birdman....I appreciate your vigor. I am just like you in that regard. I too think manheim is very conservative in their numbers. When and if I complete this transaction, you will be the first to know. He wants 50k.... I am at 45 in my mind. Heck 5 grand is 5 grand. I have not gotten photos as yet. If they are as he states I am happy to pay the man 50k for this vehicle...and I believe if it were restored to original it would be worth some money. Unfortunately the straight 8's which cost you just as much to restore do not fetch the money the super 8's do. </div></div>

Well not sure about vigor is the right term but I've been tracking the 32-34s as I own one. $45-50K is a great price for a #3 car. I would think for an avergae driver it would be closer to $100K. There is a 32 eight on ebay now where the asking If it is a #4 car then $50K is appropiate. Fully restored it should bring $150-$175K.

<span style="font-style: italic">at the March RM auction a 32 eight roadster sold for $148K. It appeared to be a 2ish car. It just showed up on Hyman LTD webiste, who's a dealer. Guaranteed the asking price will be $190K and he will let it go for $180K-$168K. </span>

Looks like the asking price is $182,5000.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1935Packard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic">at the March RM auction a 32 eight roadster sold for $148K. It appeared to be a 2ish car. It just showed up on Hyman LTD webiste, who's a dealer. Guaranteed the asking price will be $190K and he will let it go for $180K-$168K. </span>

Looks like the asking price is $182,5000. </div></div>

I wish I was as close in my stock market predictions laugh.gif So I would have to say even at 50K the 33 Packard Victoria is a great price unless it is truly a basket case. You have a lot of upside room when you do a restoration.

Guest superods

Birdman...back on 3-13 at 5:54 in the afternoon I posted a stock tip for one and all. The price of Celgene was 57....today it is 64. I suggest you buy some. Contact your broker and you will find it is a buy on all the trusted analysts. It will split at about 75 again and if they hit on another drug, as I suspect they will soon it will go bonkers again. I also suggest you purchase some National City Bank. Some farsighters just plunked down 7 billion at 5 bucks a share..dropping the value of the stock that day 30% to 5.90. I bought it the next morning at 6.04 and it is now up to 6.40....another 20 cents and I made my 10%. Then I sell 50% of what I bought and keep the remainder and hope it appxomimates half of their high this year of 37.00. The question I asked myself ....These boy who plunked down 7 billion did not do so to lose money did they...I answered myself... NO NO NO Keep your eyes on these Birdman. You just got some very valuable info.

Now another question for you. Which of the two vehicles would you purchase if they were priced near the same and in the same condition....a 32 shovel nose convertible coupe or the 33 victoria convertible? Appreciate your input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superods</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Now another question for you. Which of the two vehicles would you purchase if they were priced near the same and in the same condition....a 32 shovel nose convertible coupe or the 33 victoria convertible? Appreciate your input. </div></div>

From a pure resale value, ou should choose the Victoria though the shovel nose is more sporty. I myself do not care for the shovel nose so I must likely would go with the Victoria which is a very elegant body style. Both are classics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd chose the 900, so I guess we wouldn't be fighting over the same car driving up the price. grin.gif </div></div>

West you're choosing a car not knowing which has less chrome and blackwall tires:-)

Guest superods

So if I read this correctly...Birdman and I are for the Victoria, West and Restorer are 900 men. So I thin it is fitting that Speedster breaks the tie. What say ye speedster?

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superods</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So if I read this correctly...Birdman and I are for the Victoria, West and Restorer are 900 men. So I thin it is fitting that Speedster breaks the tie. What say ye speedster?

</div></div>

Hey, I Love them BOTH, So it's still a Tie! grin.gif

With me, it would probably be desided by which was the prettiest Color. wink.gif LOL grin.gif

Guest superods

Finalized the deal....

Called Shawn Miller this morning and told him of the cars. I took the Victoria and he purchased the 900. I would have bought them both but I committed to a 34 5 passenger earlier this week. That's enough cars for a while. I am going to attempt to post a few photos.

Guest superods

the 900 along with a 34 coupe birdman told me about and a 65 dodge powerwagon I am going to restore to trailer my packards around.

AAAAAPIC2.jpg

AAAAAPIC.jpg

post-51362-143137980533_thumb.jpg

So that 34 coupe... was that the car Bert had and was trying to covert into a roadster?

Friend of mind is do a power wagon restore with a twist, king cab. He got the cabs from some one who takes two cabs and makes a king cab out of them. Aksi is outting a diesel Cummings in it.

Guest superods

Bert told me he sold it to a friend who wanted to do that. He just hacked the top off with a dam reciprocating saw. I am planning keeping it a coupe. Very few of those around as well. I bought a 33 untitled sedan out on the west coast as a donor car for the roadster body I bought from Second Chances in Nebraska.

That is the way to go with a Power Wagon. They are like a tractor. Get some shots of that power wagon if you can. Will give you my email addy if you would send them. Thanks much.

I may have to hire you speedster..there is only one of me.