1929 chrysler brake fluid replaced with silicone know have leaks

i replaced brake fluid with silicone and now i have leaks that i didn't have before. the wheel and master cyl. where rebuilt the lines flushed and reassembled. the lines are copper with flair fittings, the flairs that were not touched know seep, the bleeders seep. has anyone had this problem with silicone.

i replaced brake fluid with silicone and now i have leaks that i didn't have before. the wheel and master cyl. where rebuilt the lines flushed and reassembled. the lines are copper with flair fittings, the flairs that were not touched know seep, the bleeders seep. has anyone had this problem with silicone.

I've done many brake jobs/silicone conversions.

I had leaks, but not because of the silicone fluid. It is thicker than DOT-3 brake fluid. Just fix where the leaks occur and re-bleed. Back the bleed screws all the way out, clean the inside end on a wire wheel, coat the threads with never-sieze and you should be fine.

I've done many brake jobs/silicone conversions.

I had leaks, but not because of the silicone fluid. It is thicker than DOT-3 brake fluid. Just fix where the leaks occur and re-bleed. Back the bleed screws all the way out, clean the inside end on a wire wheel, coat the threads with never-sieze and you should be fine.

A word of caution! You should NOT use copper lines for brake applications! Use Steel, as copper lines are not near as strong (to withstand the hydraulic pressure) and, copper lines do not maintain good connections (even withflare fittings) in such applications. PLEASE, replace the lines with the correct steel brake line material.

A word of caution! You should NOT use copper lines for brake applications! Use Steel, as copper lines are not near as strong (to withstand the hydraulic pressure) and, copper lines do not maintain good connections (even withflare fittings) in such applications. PLEASE, replace the lines with the correct steel brake line material.

Rick, the copper lines used at that time are not the same material as used in copper tubing today. The British have developed a copper brake line material that is bendable and used for restoration of classic cars, however, the strength (after cyclical use) is still lower than steel brake (Bundy tubing) lines. Under NO circumstances should modern copper lines be used for brake applications.

Rick, the copper lines used at that time are not the same material as used in copper tubing today. The British have developed a copper brake line material that is bendable and used for restoration of classic cars, however, the strength (after cyclical use) is still lower than steel brake (Bundy tubing) lines. Under NO circumstances should modern copper lines be used for brake applications.

That would be hard for me to say without being able to inspect them myself. You didn't have any problem before, right? I've run across several original Chryslers that are being driven, (and toured with) that still have the original copper lines and never have I heard them mention having a problem. Once you get the fitting leaks stopped, I'll bet that you'll be just fine. I will add that I have changed a few early Chrysler's to steel lines in the past. If you are in doubt, then I'd make the change. Good luck.

That would be hard for me to say without being able to inspect them myself. You didn't have any problem before, right? I've run across several original Chryslers that are being driven, (and toured with) that still have the original copper lines and never have I heard them mention having a problem. Once you get the fitting leaks stopped, I'll bet that you'll be just fine. I will add that I have changed a few early Chrysler's to steel lines in the past. If you are in doubt, then I'd make the change. Good luck.

When I converted my brake system over to silicone, I replaced all the lines. They were steel and had obviously been replaced at some point over the years. I wanted to have the car as "original" as possible so steel was obviously out as was copper for the reasons stated above. I did research and the best replacement I could find that was comparable to copper and was just as good as steel was a brake line made in Europe called Cunifer. It is a mixture of different metals including copper. I was a little disapointed that it didn't match the color of copper exactly, but since it was designed to withstand the elements of the weather (even though it isn't driven in the winter)I feel confident that I will never have to replace my brake lines again.

If it was me I would definetly replace the copper lines. I would NOT trust 80 year old material to stop my irreplaceable car no matter how well it was made back then!!!

And I too have problems with small leaks on my '29 Chrysler. I am curious that if I wanted to keep the original flare fittings, is there any thing that could be done to the actual fitting to stop it from leaking? Some fittings have been sitting around in boxes over the years and I'm not sure there isn't small scratches from which the silicone is escaping??

Thanks

Dan

When I converted my brake system over to silicone, I replaced all the lines. They were steel and had obviously been replaced at some point over the years. I wanted to have the car as "original" as possible so steel was obviously out as was copper for the reasons stated above. I did research and the best replacement I could find that was comparable to copper and was just as good as steel was a brake line made in Europe called Cunifer. It is a mixture of different metals including copper. I was a little disapointed that it didn't match the color of copper exactly, but since it was designed to withstand the elements of the weather (even though it isn't driven in the winter)I feel confident that I will never have to replace my brake lines again.

If it was me I would definetly replace the copper lines. I would NOT trust 80 year old material to stop my irreplaceable car no matter how well it was made back then!!!

And I too have problems with small leaks on my '29 Chrysler. I am curious that if I wanted to keep the original flare fittings, is there any thing that could be done to the actual fitting to stop it from leaking? Some fittings have been sitting around in boxes over the years and I'm not sure there isn't small scratches from which the silicone is escaping??

Thanks

Dan

The Ford guys have made a steel line that is copper plated, look at any of the major Ford restoration suppliers. Their lines were also originally copper 1939-41. I was able to get copper washers at the local NAPA dealer, one still has to be careful when tightening to get a secure and leakfree coupling. Be real careful on the antisieze applications so not to get any material in the line itself.

The Ford guys have made a steel line that is copper plated, look at any of the major Ford restoration suppliers. Their lines were also originally copper 1939-41. I was able to get copper washers at the local NAPA dealer, one still has to be careful when tightening to get a secure and leakfree coupling. Be real careful on the antisieze applications so not to get any material in the line itself.

Mikzjr, The color is more like a yellowish gold. The copper plated steel lines might be the way to go. But the question I would have is are the steel lines "stainless" steel? If they are then that is definetly the way to go. If not perhaps the copper coating will protect the line from the elements. But will the coating wear off at the fittings when you turn and tighten?

And I agree that you should be able to find the cooper washers at NAPA. The Cunifer lines are flared the same way you would flare any other brake line.

Dan

Mikzjr, The color is more like a yellowish gold. The copper plated steel lines might be the way to go. But the question I would have is are the steel lines "stainless" steel? If they are then that is definetly the way to go. If not perhaps the copper coating will protect the line from the elements. But will the coating wear off at the fittings when you turn and tighten?

And I agree that you should be able to find the cooper washers at NAPA. The Cunifer lines are flared the same way you would flare any other brake line.

Dan