Back-up lights

Guest Harry Connors

Guest imported_V12Bill

The post war cars were hard to come by and when a dealer had one for sale he would add as many options as he dared to up the price and make a little extra profit for himself. My '48 has a backup lite that is mounted on the rear bumper gravel guard, on the left side between the bumper wing and the guard. It is marked Ford, installed by a Ford dealer that sold Lincolns? I have seen other Lincolns with the same lite and have to assume that they were installed by the original dealer.

• 2 weeks later...

My 47 Club Coupe has backup lights, one one each side under the tail lights. The glass is dome shaped. The switch was no longer present so I added one on the shift linkage. I could send a picture if there is interest and I can figure out how to attach it.

Ralph

My 47 Club Coupe has backup lights, one one each side under the tail lights. The glass is dome shaped. The switch was no longer present so I added one on the shift linkage. I could send a picture if there is interest and I can figure out how to attach it.

Ralph

Hi Ralph.

I am unable to view your backup light photo but here's a photo of backup lights on a 1947 Zephyr. I don't know if they are genuine Ford accesories or not. This person has also installed some accessory turn signals and brake lights on his zephyr because he drives it regularly.

There is a tidier way to add two more brake lights to these Zephyrs and Continentals by installing a 1956-7 Lincoln/Thunderbird turn signal switch. It's the exact same configuration as the original 1941-48 Lincoln turn signal switch except it has the extra wiring to add brake lights to the existing rear turn signals. Some messing around with the wiring is required as well as snaking a couple extra wires down the steering column. I've had this switch on my '47 Continental for some 40+ years and am planning on installing it on my '41 Continental.

post-32768-143137976488_thumb.jpg

Harry, Phil:

You can use the existing turn signal / tail light bulbs for brake lights by adding a couple double pole double throw relays somewhere under the dash. Use the turn signal switch to pick up the two relay coils, isolate the front signals with diodes, and use the relay contacts to lift the brake light circuit on the side the turn signal switch is turned on. If this is confusing, I'll make a schematic.

Abe

Thanks Abe,

I think the 56-7 T-Bird/Lincoln turn signal switch is cleaner and easier. No relays, no extra switches, no diodes, etc. It uses the existing rear turn signal bulbs as extra brake lights with **NO** visible external modifications!

Compare the switch in the photo with your stock 41-48 Lincoln turn signal switch. It's a direct, bolt-in replacement with the necessary additional wiring!

This switch is available (NEW) from T-Bird parts dealers for about $90

post-32768-143137976847_thumb.jpg

post-32768-14313797685_thumb.jpg

post-32768-143137976851_thumb.jpg

Phil, I several tried several times to attach a photo without success. I followed directions I found on previous postings and don't know the problem. The message said I had attached a file, but it would not show up on the preview window. My backup lights fit into holes in the fenders just below the tail lights. I saw a similar set up on a 47 or 48 Cadillac.

As for wiring for the tail lights to be brake lights as well, I used the kit supplied by Narragansett. It also has a 4 way flasher set up.

Ralph.

• 4 years later...

Ralph, do you have the backup switch setup for a 41 Zephyr? I have the backup lights for it, but not the switch for the linkage. I've looked to put magnetic switches or mechanical switches, but nothing really fits properly. There is probably a simple way to attach a switch on the transmission. Any information you have would be appreciated. Ray

Ray500@aol.com

• 2 weeks later...

Ray, I made a bracket to hold a switch to the the firewall located so the the reverse lever in the linkage would contact it when shifted. It is not perfect though and sometimes the barcket moves and the linkage lever misses. There may be a better idea but I haven't worked one out yet.