Can you identify this Cadillac part?

karnold14wheeler

Can anyone tell me what this Cadillac car part. The writting on it says Cadillac Motor Car Co. Reg. in U.S. Pat. Office Detroit, Mich. USA . On the inside the writting is W 13436. The part is solid brass with the front side being crome plated. It has fine threads. Possible it may be a hub cap or wheel cover.

post-56007-14313797345_thumb.jpg

The Buffalo wheel nuts of the size used by Cadillac from about 1923-1928 have a fairly coarse internal thread, and a wavey centre locking sleeve which is pulled out to unlock by an over-centre device on the wheel spanner. I reckon that what you have there is a Rudge Whitworth hub grease cap from one of the big RW wheels that were used prior to 1923 on V61 or earlier. The size used was about for a 120mm maximum OD of the inner bearing. This was bigger than RR or the TwinSix Packard used, and probably the same as used by Cunningham. The thread on this item should be external, and does not secure the wheel to the hub. Wheel and hub have matching fine splines, though the drive is mostly taken by a plain taper cone and seat.

Rudge Whitworth wheels were made under licence in USA by Standard Roller Bearing in Scranton, PA as used by Mercer, Packard 6, and Duesenberg A model. Packard Twin Six RW wheels were made Buffalo.

I have seen a photo of about 1913-14 4 Cyl Cadillac fitted with those big Rudge 120's. I have no idea whether it was original or retro-fit.

Regards, Ivan Saxton.