Capacity of fluid coupling for 48 New Yorker w/ Fluid Drive

Guest roadmaster56

Guest roadmaster56

Can anyone tell me the capacity of the fluid drive coupling for a 48 New Yorker with Fluid Drive? My Motor's manual shows 2 3/4 pts for the gear box (10w oil), but does not mention the fluid coupling (also 10w). I plan to completely drain both the trans and fluid coupling because they had been improperly filled with modern ATF. I'm going to purchase some 10w oil, but I need to know how much to order. Should the 10w be non detergent?

Thanks

David

Guest elmo39

this wont help with the amount of fluid it the fluid drive unit .But this is what was published in a 1975 copy of the WPC news,on the techical page .

Question: what type of oil do i use in the hydraulic trans and fluid drive unit of my 48 Chrysler.

Answer: the trans uses 3 pints of 10w engine oil only. if heavier oil is used , excessive transmission oil pressure will result in hard shiftig and even eventual tansmission damage . the fluid drive unit uses Mopar fluid drive fluid , which Chrysler has superseded with any dexron base automatic transmissin fluid . ( also added at the end of the article was )Allow the fluid drive unit to cool befor checking as expansion pressures can cause the filler plug to shoot out

The capacity of a Fluid Drive unit is about 12 quarts.

I don't know what is wrong with auto trans fluid for this application, unless it is the expense?

If it was mine I think I would leave the ATF in there, unless someone comes up with a good reason to change.

In my own Fluid Drive, a 51 DeSoto, I use THD tractor oil, ISO 32 grade.

This was recommended to me by a Fluid Drive expert.

You can get it at any auto parts store. The THD stands for transmission, hydraulic and differential oil.

Guest imported_Bill-W

The post-war (hydraulic) semi-automatic trans takes 3 pints of oil while the pre-war takes 2.75.

Not sure how much the Fluid Drive's fluid coupling takes, but I doubt it is 12 quarts. The 1953-54 Plymouth with Hy-Drive, with the engine and torque converter sharing oil, took 10 quarts of oil, 11 with the filter.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

It's an odd thing but I have never been able to find the capacity of the fluid drive unit in any repair manual or reference work.

The 12 quart info comes from an old Mechanix Illustrated magazine article by Tom McCahill. In my experience his info is reliable.

There is no dipstick or level to the unit, you simply take out the plug when the unit is in the appropriate position and pour it full. The 12 quart figure is usefull mainly for knowing how much fluid you need for a complete dump and fill.

Another thing. In my repair manual there is no recommendation for the fluid drive oil to be changed, ever. It is even included on a list titled "Points Requiring No Lubrication".

Perhaps this is why they don't bother giving the capacity.

My owner's manual says "level of fluid should be inspected by dealer at end of first 1000 miles and every 10,000 miles thereafter. Fluid level should be maintained at level of filler hole and only Chryco fluid drive oil used".

Nothing about ever changing the oil.

As the unit is permanently sealed and nothing can get in to contaminate the oil I suppose it lasts the life of the car.