Are Packard Tachs rare?

alsancle

I was having this discussion over in the traditional hot rod forum. I've always thought these tachs were as rare as hen's teeth. Until today I had seen 3 in the last 25 years, and today a guy showed me one he put in his car that came out of a boat. They fit in the glove box where the clock would go on the 39/40 packard.

post-31305-143137971441_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Speedster

Do you know where the drive adapter was located when installed in a Packard. I assume it is a mechanical tach, but where did the cable connect to engine?

As stated before they drive off the back of the generator. The picture I posted is one we have sitting on a shelf and was purchased a bunch of years ago at the flea market outside the Kruse Auburn sale. I brought it up only because the one in my dad's car is the only one I've actually seen in a dash. I've seen a couple of others sitting on shelfs (like the picture above).

A.J.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flackmaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 1939 Tach was driven off the back end of the generator, </div></div>

So, the Generator was Modified ? A different version generator? I don't see how an adapter could be attached to back end of the generator without internal modifications?

Guest imported_Speedster

Since the generator turns at a faster RPM than engine, there would probably also need to be some Gearing reduction, in the adapter or in the Gauge (preferably in the adapter)? So if you install the Tach, you would definitely Have to install the modified generator with it's adapter, also?

Guest imported_Speedster

Thanks for the pictures.

The generator appears to have a longer armature shaft that protrudes about 2", thru rear cover, And the worm-geared adapter is attached to the shaft and held on by a threaded portion of the end-cover? Is that correct?

If so, the generator would definitely have to be replaced also.

My understanding is that the generator is stock, but the rear cover is special to the tach drive. The gear box has a adapter to the armature and also handles translating the generator RPMs to engine rpms. Perhaps this piece is harder to find then the actual tach??

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alsancle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Perhaps this piece is harder to find then the actual tach?? </div></div>

Yes, It would be fairly easy to find a tach that would fit the hole in dash, even tho it may not be the same as the original, but finding the remainder of the hardware needed would be next to Impossible.

Guest imported_PackardV8

Early Corvette tach and perhaps as late as 1962 ran off of the back of the generator. SW Speedo adapters also exist as late as 1973 that i know of. I have one that was new ca. 1973. If i remeber rite it has a set of gears that come with it so the rpm correction can be adjusted by swapping out the gears. I's have to dig it out and find it to know for sure. I haven't used it it in years. I also have the chart for gear determination. The speedo adapter is a small unit that screws in between the end of the cable and trans. Takes about as long to install it as i does to R&R the trans end of the cable. It's about the size of 2wo Zippo lighters.

Guest imported_PackardV8

But why run a mechanical tach anyway unless u have to have originality????? It is my understanding that the 12v can be used on the 6v unless '+' earth is an issue.. I had one hooked up on my 48 Chief with '-' earth.

OR use one of those inductance tachs like used on go carts.

Guest imported_Speedster

Yes, a Modern version would be much easier to find and install. We were just trying to determine what Packard used in the '30s and how difficult the originals are to find.

Guest imported_Speedster

I'm still wondering how they keyed the generator armature shaft and the adapter shaft together, without having a modified armature installed? (the end of gen shaft is normally smooth with no notch or socket) And if the armature is different then the complete generator is actually a different version?

I lightened and zoomed the picture so we could see the adapter attachment a little better:

post-33516-143137971692_thumb.jpg

The Auto-Lite generator for the 39 jr car with tachometer drive is a model GCJ-4810A-2. For the sr cars it's a GCO-4806A or a GCO-4808A.

I don't think the tach can be added to the std generator.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think the tach can be added to the std generator. </div></div>

Thanks for the Info, That seems logical to me also.

Alsancle, I can see from your picture the generator tag is still in place.

Could you get the part number and let us know? That would be good info.

Just found some info in the 39 Packard manual. The only difference in the std gen and the one for the tach is the armature shaft, "the end of which is provided with a coupling for driving the tachometer". The armature with tach drive is Auto-Lite pn GCJ-2092 for the jr cars. For the senior 2 brush generator it's a GCO-2740F.

• 5 years later...

As a teenager in the '60s, I saw one in Seattle in a 1940 120 touring sedan. I have photos of the car somewhere but I didn't take any of the tach. While back there was a Packard on eBay that had it. These are the only two I've ever seen in over 40 years of owning Packards!

• 11 months later...

This thread brings back memories of my Packard powered 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk. The tach had brushes in the distributor that worked as a pick up. I remember it was a bit techie to get my 16 year old fingers to hold them in place so it would still work after checking points. I never did see that tach work at the same time the speedo sat on 135.

The car was about 9 years old at the time. I found a Caribbean convertible (we pronounced Caribbean differently back then) that had all the windows broken. At the time I couldn't find a replacement windshield; no email, no computer. So the manifold came off for the Stude and the other parts sold off. About 25 years later I sold the manifold.

It is a neat memory to think of owning a '40's or '50's car with a tach. Most were in trucks with the shift points labeled.

Bernie

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Attended the Packard meet in Reading, PA yesterday and saw this totally original 1934 Packard Super Eight sporting an original tachometer.  The tach was in the place the clock originally was, and the clock moved to the drivers side glove box.  

post-77814-0-65536000-1437280446_thumb.j

post-77814-0-01840600-1437280485_thumb.j

post-77814-0-68611900-1437280512_thumb.j

post-77814-0-25383000-1437280546_thumb.j