1952 chrysler windsor sedan

I have a 1952 Chrysler Windsor Deluxe Sedan, I came across a 1949 chrysler sedan. I would like to know if I can use body parts off a 49 on my 52 windsor ? I can not pass up the 49 for $25.00 no motor or trans, but the body and glass are in great shape. I am picking up the 49 tomarrow the cars look alot alike. The side windows on my 52 are broke.

Thank You, Pat. I am very new to this site and this car.

49 to 52 Chrysler and DeSoto used substantially the same body. The glass will interchange. So will a lot of other parts.

Biggest difference? The 49/50 front end was restyled for the 51/52 model.

So were the rear fenders.

I also have a sneaking suspicion the doors will interchange between Chrysler/DeSoto/Dodge and Plymouth but have no proof of this. Just that in pictures all 4 cars look an awful lot alike. Except the DeSoto/Chrysler body looks about 4 inches wider.

Other than the front end (forward of the windshield) and the rear fenders practically everything will interchange, both mechanical parts and body parts.

Guest imported_Bill-W

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rusty_OToole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">49 to 52 Chrysler and DeSoto used substantially the same body. The glass will interchange. So will a lot of other parts.

Biggest difference? The 49/50 front end was restyled for the 51/52 model.

So were the rear fenders.

I also have a sneaking suspicion the doors will interchange between Chrysler/DeSoto/Dodge and Plymouth but have no proof of this. Just that in pictures all 4 cars look an awful lot alike. Except the DeSoto/Chrysler body looks about 4 inches wider.

Other than the front end (forward of the windshield) and the rear fenders practically everything will interchange, both mechanical parts and body parts. </div></div>

The Dodge/DeSoto/Chrysler body is longer and wider than the Plymouth. Nothing on the Plymouth will fit the D/S/C body, or vice versa.

The side glass will interchange 1949 through 1952, but windshields are 1949-50 and 1951-52. The latter glass is wider than the former - note the narrower A pillar on the 1951-52 models as compared with the 1949-50.

There are three sizes of rear windows - 1949, 1950 and 1951-52. Dodge/DeSoto rear windows are the same as above, but the 1951-52 Chryslers used a 3-piece rear window with wrap-around glass.

Rear doors will interchange for all years, but front doors are 1949-50 and 1951-52. The front fender line was raised for 1951 decreasing the distance from the top of the fender to the top of the hood. If you follow the fender line on the 1949-50 models into the front door you land up just below the door's key lock. On the 1951-52 models, you land up just below the door handle.

Rear fenders on DeSoto and Chrysler are 1949, 1950-51 and 1952. Both DeSoto and Chrysler had the taillamps increased in size (height) for 1952. Dodge rear fenders are 1949 and 1950-52. Trunk lids apparently will fit 1949 through 1952, but the 1949 models had the trunk-mounted brake light. Thus 1950 through 1952 trunk lids are virtually identical.

The Dodge front clip is 2" shorter than the DeSoto/Chrysler Royal/Windsor. That is how the 123.5" Dodge wheelbase was increased to the DeSoto/Chrysler's 125.5". The straight eight Chryslers were built on a 131.5" wheelbase, again all in the hood. The 1951-52 New Yorker and Imperial continued with the longer front end while the Saratoga shared the Windsor nose.

The Plymouth wheelbase was 118.5" - and the 5" difference between it and the Dodge was all in the passenger compartment. Thus the doors of the Plymouth are shorter than the D/S/C doors. And as the Plymouth was narrower than the D/S/C models, the windshield and rear glass is smaller, as well. Plymouths may look like their bigger brothers, but that is as far as it goes.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

Guest rickomo1

There are three sizes of rear windows - 1949, 1950 and 1951-52. Dodge/DeSoto rear windows are the same as above, but the 1951-52 Chryslers used a 3-piece rear window with wrap-around glass.

the 52 powerdomes also had the wrap around windows

Guest imported_Bill-W

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rickomo1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

the 52 powerdomes also had the wrap around windows </div></div>

The 1952 DeSoto Deluxe, Custom and Firedome (except the Sportsman hardtops) still used the one-piece rear window of the 1951 model. The 1953 DeSoto Powermaster and Firedome adopted a wrap around unit, although the bottom outer corners were rounded as opposed to the Chrysler's point. And only the 1953 Sportsman hardtops had three-piece glass. The sedans and club coupes had a one-piece unit.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I got my windsor running parts exchanged, I can not seem to get the spitfire to start on 6 Volts hook up a 12 volt Batt fires right up. I take off the batt cables put them on my 6 volt Batt let windsor run 30 40 min shut her down, and it does not have the uff to start up. Should I just change over to 12 Volt or am I missing something ? Pat ??

6 volt can be a little finicky but work well if in good repair.

First thing I would do is test the battery. Is it fully charged and in good condition?

If you do need a new battery I'm told the Optima batteries are excellent and well worth the extra cost. Some people have told me the Optima battery alone cured a hard starting car.

Next check the cables. They should be twice as big as 12 volt cables. Sometimes people put on new parts store cables for a 12 volt car and they are too small.

Take off all connections and make sure they are cleaned bright and tightened up properly.

If all these things are right your engine should turn over briskly but of course not as fast as a 12 volt car.

If not it is possible your starter needs to be rebuilt.

I have changed old cars to 12 volt before but these days I don't bother. It is easier and cheaper to get the 6 volt working.

Don't know if this is any help. But my service manual says, when doing a compression test, the starter should turn the engine over at 150 RPM.

This would be with the plugs out. Would turn slower with the plugs in.

Let's say it should turn over 120 RPM or 2 turns per second. When it goes rrr-rrr-rrr-rrr that would be 2 rrrs per second.

That's how fast it should turn over if everything is working right and it's not too cold.

these generators are not meant to charge a dead battery in 30 minutes.maybe the battery needs to be replaced if it is old and been sitting in an uncharged condition for a long time.it should start fine on a new or properly charged battery.it will crank slower on 6 volts but will start.a 6 volt system in good condition does not need to be converted to 12 volts unless you want to. converting brings other problems such as fuel guage and others. nothing insurmountable but not as easy as just changing the battery and generator. capt den

Guest imported_Bill-W

Although your Chrysler has half the volts of today's cars (6 vs 12), it has almost twice the amps. Which is why the battery cables need to be about twice the size.

And a generator generally will not charge a battery at idle. It will charge if the car is travelling at a constant speed, but not as fast as a car with an alternator. And those were the main reasons Chrysler, and then the rest of the world, switched to alternators. An alternator will produce a charge even at idle, providing the idle is set at factory specs minimum.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

Years ago I had a funny experience with a 1951 Chrysler New Yorker V8.

I had the car for some time before I got it on the road and drivable. In the meantime I kept the battery charged up with a small box charger. It seemed to keep the battery charged.

When I got the car on the road I took it for a trip of about 100 miles. I noticed the generator was charging a lot and thought it might be overcharging. But after 50 miles the amp gauge dropped down to slightly above 0 which is where it should be.

It seems the battery was not charged up even though I had the charger on it for 24 hours before this trip. Somehow the generator charged it better than the battery charger.

After this the starter went faster and the car started easier too.

I found the Windsor out in the Middle of a Field in Central North Dakota, I was told It ran when parked.I am going threw the process of Brain Cancer, the windsor has been my medical ticket to beating the Cancer. I am sure Thankful for a group of people that have so much knowledge.I wll change the Batt cables this week,I have a 49 Highlander my Wife has told me she wants it gone. I can take a pic all there motor and trans motor is bad pan is off. I paid $25.00 $10.00 in gas $35.00 and she is yours. I Thank You Again, Pat.

If you are suffering from any kind of cancer hope you are taking your vitamin C. Proven to work by the world's greatest (2 time Nobel Prize winning) scientist Linus Pauling and others.

Also look up Dr. Max Gerson, he and his daughter have been curing cancer by natural means since the 1920's. You can go to her clinic in Hawaii for $4000 a week or she tells you everything they do on her website for free. 76% cure rate.

• 1 month later...

The Wife put her foot down must sell the 49 Highlander,I paid $25.00 for her and I would like to get the money back for fuel so $50.00 Bucks Send me email blevins@westriv,com and I will send all the pics I have of her.Don't let the price fool you this Highlander is surface rust only, and body looks real good, needs alot of work motor is shot trans is good. I need to move this from my buddy yard by May

701-880-1062 I have a car trailer and for fuel money will meet yea. Hazen North Dakota is where it is at. Pat