Garage Floor

charlie1

Guest A_3-D_Event

Charlie,

This sounds simular to what we have on the shop floor at work. The floors at work, concrete, had to be acid etched first. It has a high gloss finish. If its the same kind of stuff it is easy to clean-up but very slipery when wet. In wet areas they put some kind of plastic pellet or sand in it. It was horrible to clean as the mops stuck to it. It sounds like what my dad put on his floor in the new polebarn to keep the oil off the concrete from the old tractors. It has a semi-gloss finish but still slipery with wet shoes and water/snow.

FYI, I painted two different floors, my old garage floor which I acid etched before painting, and an new floor. I used the rustoleum product on the old floor, which doesn't get a lot of traffic, and it has chipped easily, ans come up in a couple of places, possibly due to insufficient cleaning. On the new floor I used a product called U Coat it. That has worked very well, wears like iron. I put a little sand in the rustoleum but it makes it harder to sweep up. I didn't int he new garage and we have to be very careful when we walk in with snow on our boots.

Guest craig hewitt

I bought the stuff from home depot when my garage was built in 1999 looked good for 2 years mind you floor was brand new after the years chiping flaking looking awful. If i was to do it again i would have paid a company to come in and do a better jobs they are thicker and pliable and in the long run stay in better shape..

Guest C.F.Massie

CHAS1, Go to this site for a great garage epoxy coating. I have used this on all my garage floors and its very duarable, lasts, easy to apply and you can add non-slip grit to the traffic areas. Slipping on any epoxy flooring is only in direct proportion to what type sole shoes you are wearing, all our aircraft hangar floors use this stuff and its no more slippery than a really smooth plain concrete floor. Many car dealerships and professional garages use this coating on their floors with no real problem with slipping. Its a breeze to clean up oil spills of any kind and doesn't stain the floor.

http://ucoatit.com/pgs/main.htm

I have had my Epoxy floor down for 20 years and when I wash it up in the spring it looks as though I just applied it. I would not go with a product that is a " water based epoxy" . I have had poor results in previous garage floors using the water based products. It pays to look for an epoxy coating that says " 100% solids". Be meticulous on the prep and application and it will last a long time.Durall epoxy from Minnesota, Sherwin Williams Armorseal 1000 and PPG epoxy coating are all good products.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I taped a piece of plastic to the floor for a few days to determine moisture level in the floor. Since my floor does not have a moisture barrier everything I have read leads me to believe that I may a big mess with trying to Epoxy my floor thus I have decided to go with the checker Modular floor for $1954.00. </div></div>

I'm glad you brought this up. A lot of folks put down a coating, whether it be water based or other, and find down the road that their floors are cracking and peeling and blaming it on the coating. It's mostly due to moisture migration through the concrete.

The plant where I work is getting away from coating the floors. In high traffic areas they now are having a contractor come in and grind and polish the concrete floors.