My name is Debbie Muller Zorbas and my great uncle was William Muller, who designed the Ruxton. My Dad tells stories of his Uncle Bill beating the cops with his Ruxton and how he used to come visit him in his Ruxton.

I am trying to obtian info, photos etc on these beautiful cars as a tribute to my Dad's family. I know there is one in Reno and Tampa at the museums.

Does anyone know where others may be?

The Tampa Museum indicated one is being restored on Long Island. Since my Dad is still living on Long Island, I would love any info where the restoration my be occurring.

Thanks,

Debbie

Debbie

I noticed your middle name in one of your other posts and wondered if you were related. There are 10 Ruxtons listed in the Classic Car Directory: two owned by one man in Colorado (who also owns the "skunkwerks" prototype), two owned by one man in Texas, one in Michigan, one in Illinois, one in California, one in Misssouri, one in Finland and one in Tennessee. There are most definitely more, but not known by me. It may be one of these that is the car in a restoration shop on Long Island, or it may be another.

I have posted photos of two of these cars on another post:

http://forums.aaca.org/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/487604#Post487604

Email me, or call me and I can get you into contact with one of these guys who would be more than happy to help you.

West Peterson

937-478-6613

StelvioGT @ yahoo. com

Debbie,

I should be able to find out more about the Ruxton that is currently being restored. It is a phaeton. I recently saw the fenders off of it which were being repaired and another set were being fabricated at a shop I had dropped some work off at recently.

PM me.

Joel

Debbie, Do you have the Fall 1969 Issue of Automobile Quarterly? There is a 5 page interview with William Muller, followed with 10 pages of color photos of Ruxtons that have been restored. There was one that sold at Barrett-Jackson last month, base on what I could see on TV it looked a bit unlike a correctly restored Ruxton.

Hi Debbie

I'm in Dayton, Ohio, same time zone as you. I'm putting in late hours lately trying to make a deadline, but call anytime between 8am-5:30, or between 7:30-10:00pm through the next few days. Sunday afternoon would be fine also.

I'm sure most of the current Ruxton owners would love to hear some of your dad's recollections as well. I just photographed a "rainbow" Ruxton for a feature story, so maybe I should interview him as well.

Yes, That is the issue you want, great price, isn't eBay wonderful! You'll enjoy it i'm sure. Best wishes, Bob grin.gif<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Debbie Muller Zo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I found the issue on ebay, which I can purchase for $10. Is it Volume 8 No.2? If it is, I'll be purchasing the correct one.

Thanks so much. </div></div>

Hi Debbie,

I used to take care of an all original (unrestored) Ruxton roadster for a good friend, and then when he couldn't keep it any longer, helped him sell it to another good friend, so I still help take care of it. This car was originally owned and used by one of the Ruxton executives and may have been used by your great uncle. It is now in St Louis, owned by a man who loves automotive history and I am sure he would like to talk to your father, who would be welcome to see the car if you could get him to St Louis. One of his neighbors and good friends (now deceased) used to own a sedan and also the "question mark car", so he knows a fair amount of Ruxton history. The man in Texas, whose name I can give you, now has at least 3 Ruxtons, including the phaeton, a roadster heroically built from pieces, and a sedan. The Nethercutt collection (Merle Norman cosmetics) in Sylmar, CA has a sedan that was recently restored also. There are about 5 or 6 real roadsters, and perhaps a couple more that have been built up. There was another sedan that has the Joseph Urban style horizontal stripes that was restored in brown tones from the east coast about 10 years ago. There is a man in Michigan who owns a sedan who knows a lot of history on the cars and company, and keeps a roster of them and pretty much knows where they all are. I can put you in touch with him and he can most likely tell you who owns the Long Island car. I will be glad to send you photos of Ruxtons that I have if you send me an email. Dave Mitchell packard12s@hotmail.com

A phaeton body was located, which had been mounted on another car, so I've been told. There were several bodies that were either sold or junked after the bankrupcy of the company. Texas man is in the process of marrying a Ruxton chassis with the original body.

I talked with Tim yesterday (Alligator owner... former Alligator owner????) and forgot to ask him about the sale of the car. I don't know anything about the Texas man, but from what little I've heard, I think he's a genuine Ruxton enthusiast as opposed to someone who is just writing checks. He's certainly got good taste in automobiles.

The Texas man is very much of Ruxton enthusiast as I have been in touch with him and he has sent me some beautiful pics of his cars. He currently does have 4. I'm not pretending to know much at this time but I am sure learning a lot about these cars and their colorful history. I have now had the pleasure of speaking with 5 current Ruxton owners and each has a piece of history for me.

Guest DodgeKCL

Debbie I went searching through my library when I heard the name Ruxton and I came across a large hard cover 'coffee table' book called "AUTOMOBILE QUARTERLY'S WORLD OF CARS". It has a 6 page article on the Ruxton with large color photos. It's 9 1/2" X 12". It says only about 500 of these cars were made and they were designed by William J. Muller and marketed by Archie M. Andrews. If there was only one phaeton made then it must be the photo in the article. My book says 'First Edition/Second Printing', Library of Congress # 77-179679,Copyright 1971 Automobile Quarterly Inc. NY/NY Published by Kutztown Printing, Kutztown Penn. If it's out of stock and you want to have a copy I might be persuaded to part with mine. I wouldn't mind seeing it go to the "Ruxton" family. It's in "as new condition".

This small article was published in the Front Drive section of <span style="font-style: italic">Automobile Engineering</span>,

Volume III (of six) by the American Technical Society of Chicago, 1934.

Ruxton_Front_DriveX.jpg

There's a larger image in the Photo Gallery; open the image and click to enlarge, then save that for your (growing) files.

It's not much, but it is a period reference from when front-wheel drive was still a relatively novel idea.

TG

• 6 years later...