1953 Buick Super 8 Convertible

BillMadden

I know of a 53' Super Convertible (56C) that's been sitting in a storage

facility the past 20 years. It's in original unrestored condition with the

exception of the top, and only has minor surface rust on the front & rear

bumpers. The driver's door jamb tag lists the following: 3678I564. Do these

numbers provide any clue's and are there other locations that would provide more serial #'s? Also, what is the value of this car in your estimation?

Thanks!

Mark

If that car was in Detroit, I think I know where it is now. If it is I would like to know what you know about

Bill

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Killerbunny
Only a Buick could handle larger plates....:D

Nicely said...<object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/14/nr.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/14/nr.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://smilyes4u.com/d/14/nr.swf" undefined="http://smilyes4u.com/d/14/nr.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>:D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest shadetree77

First off....what trophy???!! All I see is mini skirt!! :P LOL! Just kidding Bill. Congrats on the win. Now I just have to ask. What is going on with all of the Star Wars characters in the background?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bill,

I enjoyed following your restoration project from the beginning to the addition of the fender skirts. Your car looks fantastic from all the love and hard work you and your garage buddies did during restoration.

I have a 52' Buick Super that I want to add skirts to and was interested in what you found for your 53' Super Convertible. Are they metal or fiberglass?

Don (2Buicks)

• 2 weeks later...
Bill,

I enjoyed following your restoration project from the beginning to the addition of the fender skirts. Your car looks fantastic from all the love and hard work you and your garage buddies did during restoration.

I have a 52' Buick Super that I want to add skirts to and was interested in what you found for your 53' Super Convertible. Are they metal or fiberglass?

Don (2Buicks)

Hi Don,

They are fiberglass. I thought they would be easier to handle than steel. The clips that come with them don't work as well as they could. They are little 'c' clamps that are not deep enough to grab both the fender and the skirt too well. A fellow in Hemet, Ca is a good source for either fiber glass or steel.

Bill

• 1 month later...

More congratulations are in order...... Just finally cured the rear main seal leak on fourth try. Used rope style seal soaked in oil and maybe a little more carefully. I think a rope had been used before w/o success. I don't care now as long as it keeps dry. (Car was finished in 2010.....)

Bill

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
BILL, if you need any parts for your power steering conversion or if you're considering adding power brakes, too, have a look at this thread - http://forums.aaca.org/f117/53-buick-senior-series-power-steering-337529.html. I'm not sure if this stuff is still available but I can find out.

Too late Rob. Thanks a ton anyway. I have an assy off eBay. Paid $610.00 Ouch! a coupla' other guys wanted it as bad as I did. That's what I get for not shopping more.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Munsterbuick

Hi Bill.

Looking to convert 53 super sedan to power for my dad while we do bodywork. I believe I was one of the bidders if that assembly was in California a few weeks ago! If you happen to have any other leads on an assembly I would be in your debt if you could pass on the info.

That is one outstanding buick by the way :P

Anthony

Hi Bill.

Looking to convert 53 super sedan to power for my dad while we do bodywork. I believe I was one of the bidders if that assembly was in California a few weeks ago! If you happen to have any other leads on an assembly I would be in your debt if you could pass on the info.

That is one outstanding buick by the way :P

Anthony

Thanks for the complement Anthony. Isn't Anthony a typical Italian name????? I'll assume you are Irish anyway, but if you are one of the guys that drove that assy up to $600.00 I should tell you to f___-off instead of trying to help you find another. There is mention of another assy in this thread. Read a few more posts and you will see the address of where it might still be. Good luck. You can send me about $200.00, that's how much too much I paid for it. lol

Guest Munsterbuick
Thanks for the complement Anthony. Isn't Anthony a typical Italian name????? I'll assume you are Irish anyway, but if you are one of the guys that drove that assy up to $600.00 I should tell you to f___-off instead of trying to help you find another. There is mention of another assy in this thread. Read a few more posts and you will see the address of where it might still be. Good luck. You can send me about $200.00, that's how much too much I paid for it. lol

Hah hah hah f... off is right how I felt as the price rose and rose! I pulled back at $400 odd so not totally to blame! I often wonder how "authentic" all bids are on these auctions! Thanks for pointer. As you can imagine, being on the "wrong" side of the Atlantic makes it rather difficult to gather the required bits and pieces. We are lucky regarding the quality of the car we bought but will need bits and pieces to bring it to the desired standard as well as making it more drive-able for my dad, hence the need for power steering. Thanks again.

Anthony

Anthony, I would be glad to assist you restore your Dad's Buick. I may be as old or older than he, so I should have the appropriate perspective. I have lots of pics of the tear-down and spent four years doing all that is necessary to end up with a much better car than I ever dreamed. If you will pardon the expression, 'I have been intimate with nearly every part in a '53 Buick convertible, so I can brag that I can answer most questions, or know who can. I would not mind communication via regular email. I was wondering what the original color had been for the Buick??

Bill