1953 Buick Super 8 Convertible

BillMadden

I just got my 53 Buick Roadmaster Convertible home. It needs a complete restoration but its all there and has very little rust. It has 4 ports on the side rather than 3 like the pics above. I am new to the Buick line, have done Pontiac and old trucks in the past. Looking forward to this new project. Hope it turns out as well as the one above.

"Hope it turns out as well as the one above" Oh, come on Tim, dream on...... (You know I'm just kidding) You've got me by one porthole each fender already.

Edited by BillMadden (see edit history)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Everyone sh'd congratulate Tim, Buickconvert53, for getting that RM running again. Getting closer to paint and interior. I know I will be jealous that there will be another Osage Cream, or creme, convertible alive I will just be the first to point at each little flaw......

• 8 months later...

Almost makes me cry to review this and read the comments.  I am proud of the end result, but I still can't believe I was largely responsible.  I never want to take full credit though because I had so much help and was also lucky to pick the right people to do the 'heavy lifting', such as Bob Richter for media blasting and primer, Jack White, Jack White Restorations, for alignment, painting, etc., Howard McKee for all soft parts like top, interior, trunk, and Harold Jenkins' Harold's Automotive for engine and tranny rebuild.  These people have become friends, but my personal friends such as Tim Brown, Dick Ponsi, and Dick Sweeney, and Brian Essam will always deserve being the ones who compensated for my becoming almost an invalid at the end.

Love my Buick, and the people who made it possible!!!file:///Users/Owner/Desktop/DSC_0236.jpgfile:///Users/Owner/Desktop/DSC_0236.jpg

post-91007-0-73880300-1437224966_thumb.j

• Like 2

Everyone sh'd congratulate Tim, Buickconvert53, for getting that RM running again. Getting closer to paint and interior. I know I will be jealous that there will be another Osage Cream, or creme, convertible alive I will just be the first to point at each little flaw......

Thanks Bill,

Not far from being on the road. I appreciate you help and comment along the way. Here are a couple pics of my Roadmaster in the front yard recently.

Tim

post-104015-0-87997300-1437391552_thumb.

post-104015-0-77324200-1437391599_thumb.

post-104015-0-14580800-1437391663_thumb.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Bill,

Your build and dedication is nothing short of remarkable.  I'm also the proud new owner of a 1953 Buick Super Convertible currently in rough shape (see included photo). I'm at the beginning of my journey ...  a lot of learning and work to be done in the years ahead. I found your thread and will use it for future inspiration.

Joe

• Like 2

Bill,

Your build and dedication is nothing short of remarkable.  I'm also the proud new owner of a 1953 Buick Super Convertible currently in rough shape (see included photo). I'm at the beginning of my journey ...  a lot of learning and work to be done in the years ahead. I found your thread and will use it for future inspiration.

Joe

Thanks Joe.  Be glad to help with any advice.

Bill

Hello Bill,

I am delighted to see your restoration of the 53 buick. My first car was a 53 Buick Super convertible, in 1959 I was 16 years old, and the Buick Super convertible was the color you are painting your Buick, Cream with Red leather seats.

It brings back many memories.!

Your quality of work is astounding, Please stay healthy and finish your beautyful car, Thanks for the memories.

Gary

The paint color is Osage Cream.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rpichler

Hi Bill!

I'm new here on the forum since my father recently bought a 1953 Buick Super Eight Convertible back in France and we are based in Croatia (Europe).

Firstly, my sincerest compliments on your restoration job - the car looks amazing, it's our goal to make ours a close match although it's a bit rough doing it here in Europe since the support for vintage american cars is really poor here.

We are now refitting the car and I wanted to ask you, where could one poor soul buy the red side panel for the drivers' seat, in case you know?

I searched online back and forth but couldn't find any trace of these.

Thank you so much for your kind answer!

Robert

Hi Bill!

I'm new here on the forum since my father recently bought a 1953 Buick Super Eight Convertible back in France and we are based in Croatia (Europe).

Firstly, my sincerest compliments on your restoration job - the car looks amazing, it's our goal to make ours a close match although it's a bit rough doing it here in Europe since the support for vintage american cars is really poor here.

We are now refitting the car and I wanted to ask you, where could one poor soul buy the red side panel for the drivers' seat, in case you know?

I searched online back and forth but couldn't find any trace of these.

Thank you so much for your kind answer!

Robert

Pretty rare item.  I presume you are talking about the seat skirt....  Some advice.. you can always spray paint color you need.  It is a vinyl spray paint in a can.  I have seen them on eBay, but not too often.  Put your need on this forum in Parts for sale or buy.

...since my father recently bought a 1953 Buick Super Eight Convertible... where could one poor soul buy the red side panel for the drivers' seat...

You might want to be more specific in what you are looking for. Your descriptive reads a SUPER and your signature tag and Avatar indicate a SPECIAL. Some SUPER Models had the optional hydraulic seat controls with the power switch located in the front face of the seat panel...SPECIALS were not offered with hydraulic seat controls. If your front seat is manually operated, do you have an adjuster knob or an adjuster handle?

In addition, interchangeability between manually operated front seats on SPECIALS / SUPERS / and ROADMASTERS is questionable. Some early 1953 manually operated front seats with the up and down adjuster knob were replaced during a late (September) recall with a new left seat side panel assembly with an adjuster handle higher up on the panel. Forget about matching colors unless you're really lucky.  

Further info is described in a 1953 Buick Product Service Bulletins booklet.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"  

• 3 weeks later...

You might want to be more specific in what you are looking for. Your descriptive reads a SUPER and your signature tag and Avatar indicate a SPECIAL. Some SUPER Models had the optional hydraulic seat controls with the power switch located in the front face of the seat panel...SPECIALS were not offered with hydraulic seat controls. If your front seat is manually operated, do you have an adjuster knob or an adjuster handle?

In addition, interchangeability between manually operated front seats on SPECIALS / SUPERS / and ROADMASTERS is questionable. Some early 1953 manually operated front seats with the up and down adjuster knob were replaced during a late (September) recall with a new left seat side panel assembly with an adjuster handle higher up on the panel. Forget about matching colors unless you're really lucky.  

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

I was requesting this for someone who said his father had bought a 53 super eight convertible.  As you know that's what I have.  I doubt if there are too many cars out there who are not equipped like mine. 

• 3 months later...
On February 1, 2016 at 3:39 PM, BillMadden said:
On January 15, 2016 at 7:16 PM, 1953mack said:

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

I was requesting this for someone who said his father had bought a 53 super eight convertible.  As you know that's what I have.  I doubt if there are too many cars out there who are not equipped like mine. 

• 1 month later...