1953 Buick Super 8 Convertible

BillMadden

In 1956 I purchased a 1953 Buick Super convertible. This car was Osage Cream with red leather interior, black top, and Selectronic radio with the foot switch on the floor. This was the car that brought me to the San Diego area in December of 1956.

In May, 2006, while dreaming of a 1953 Skylark, and browsing eBay, I discovered a 1953 Buick Super convertible for sale. This was a one family owned car that had been driven by the father, passed down to his son, and ultimately kept in a car museum near Johnstown, PA. There was a major event that affected the condition of this car. Due to more than usual snowfall, the roof of the museum had collapsed onto about 60 cars including the Buick. The owner had become disenchanted with trying to get it restored and decided to sell it. Since the ad for the car featured only one picture of it before the accident, and they referred to it as a possible 'parts car', no one bid on it. After considerable investigation I decided to purchase it. When it arrived in Alpine I was pleasantly surprised to find it to be a very complete and restorable car.

Although I had restored a couple vintage Corvettes, I really had no idea what I was getting in to. The car had never been fully restored. It had received new paint at one time but otherwise simply maintained. And with the snow having melted in and on the car from the cave in, there was considerable surface rust everywhere. "Surface rust but NO rust through".

The project has sort of 'evolved'. As I disassembled and restored each part I began to envision a higher and higher quality of end result. And as more money is invested, more is demanded. Anyway, now I am in the reassembly phase and really having even more fun than I had during the early stages.

Here are some pictures of my unfinished (2008) 1953 Buick Super 8, Osage Cream with red leather, convertible.....

post-47538-143137968757_thumb.jpg

post-47538-143137968759_thumb.jpg

post-47538-143137968762_thumb.jpg

post-47538-143137968765_thumb.jpg

post-47538-143137968768_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Guest my3buicks

Bill, It's looking great!!! As I have told you before, I useed to see this car at the Clearfield, PA AACA Chapters car show each year, circa 1981 and up until it's sad demise. I loved this car. One year my 53 Super (not mine yet then) and it sat side by side at that show. I am so happy to see it being brought back to life.

You are so lucky to have this convertible. It is really coming out beautiful. I loved the pictures without the rear fender though. How nice is that to be able to put it together like that.

Good luck, and please update the pics as you go along. That is so much fun to watch.

JD

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 53Nailhead

Very, Very Nice, Bill. As always a pleasure talking with you. After seeing your work I'm thinking I'm going to have to start some serious work to get mine 'up to par'

Les

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest imported_MrEarl

I am always in awe of your progress and how neatly you do the work. Hope to see meet you and see the car in person someday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest imported_MrEarl

Lovin that chromed out Nailhead. Glad to see you jumped back on with both feet it looks like. I knew you would. Keep up the good work.

Bill,

Great progress photos!! It makes people like me have a goal to work toward.

Question: Where did you get the material/piece that attaches directly onto the interior side of the firewall? It's like a thick fabric type material...I have no idea what it is called, or where to find a new one. I need to get one for my 58. (eventually)

• 3 months later...
Guest gomuncy

Hello Bill,

I am delighted to see your restoration of the 53 buick. My first car was a 53 Buick Super convertible, in 1959 I was 16 years old, and the Buick Super convertible was the color you are painting your Buick, Cream with Red leather seats.

It brings back many memories.!

Your quality of work is astounding, Please stay healthy and finish your beautyful car, Thanks for the memories.

Gary

Guest imported_MrEarl

Bill, just lookin at that buickful engine again. Every once in awhile on eBay there will be aluminum thermostat covers. Though meant to be painted, they look pretty good when highly polished.

Guest 53Nailhead

Bill, Thanks for the "53 Buick Fix". I've said it before, that's a Real Beauty! Makes me happy just looking at her!! Another 7" of the white stuff tomorrow in Ottawa, gonna be awhile before I get mine out of storage cry.gif

• 2 months later...
Guest imported_MrEarl

Ohhhh yeaaaaaaa, been wonderin how that beauty is coming along. Look at them spokes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lookin good Bill!!! thanks for the update

• 2 months later...

I just got my 53 Buick Roadmaster Convertible home. It needs a complete restoration but its all there and has very little rust. It has 4 ports on the side rather than 3 like the pics above. I am new to the Buick line, have done Pontiac and old trucks in the past. Looking forward to this new project. Hope it turns out as well as the one above.

• 1 month later...

That's a nice garage making it more enjoyable to go into for restoration work.

I have never had the support of friends in my restoration work - nor have I had friends that needed my help in restoring their cars. It was always my hope in this hobby to get those "buds" so we could restore 2-3 cars and drink beers and spend time in the garage.

I hope you can bring this car to Iowa next year for the Nationals.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Your car looks great! I am just starting the restoration on mine. I have a question maybe you can answer. I am attempting to remove the rear fenders and cannot get access to some of the bolts on the top side. How did you get the ones on yours off?. Also, how did you restore the checkerboard like finish on the dash? Thanks, Tim

Your car looks great! I am just starting the restoration on mine. I have a question maybe you can answer. I am attempting to remove the rear fenders and cannot get access to some of the bolts on the top side. How did you get the ones on yours off?. Also, how did you restore the checkerboard like finish on the dash? Thanks, Tim

If you remember, I have a lift......, and long arms. And the covering for the dash is a vinyl sheeting called Dy-Nox, which can be purchased and applied. There is usally an ad in Hemmings for this material.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Bill , Where is the picture of me working on your car ? LOL You should post a picture of your Corvetts as well - I am sure the guys/gals would like to see them .One of my ole partners in the patrol car was driving his Corvette at age 87 = Owning and driving one of those things just keeps you young at any age ! You have Two ! Keep up the good work my friend and dont hesitate to call if you need help with the car again ! I must say however that your ole story of " My wife is going to help me remove the transmission " to suck me in is getting old ! LOL Take care

• 2 months later...
Keep up the good work my friend and dont hesitate to call if you need help with the car again ! I must say however that your ole story of " My wife is going to help me remove the transmission " to suck me in is getting old ! LOL Take care

:eek: WHAT???!!! Doesn't everybody's wives help pull transmissions? Sure they do!!! That's our story and we need to stick to it, OK?