Need expert opinions

Guest Packardsforever

Guest Tom Oliver

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1935Packard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe we gave a lot of "expert" opinion about this particular car just a few weeks ago.

The thread is here. </div></div>

Wow! thanks for the thread great info. Seems like a really nice car and I think I'll go for it.

Make sure the stabilizer bar has been re-wended properly. All kidding aside, for the kind of money you're talking about, I would want to drive it, or have Nashville's reknown Packardman, Mark Lambert, look it over. If Mark is not the fellow West was thinking of, I can put you in touch with Mark. Also, I would think if the car had overdrive, the ad would state so, therefore, again, depending on your plans for driving it, you might consider how much highway travel you intend to do.

I gave him Mark Lambert's number.

I still stand by my statement in the previous post about this 1939 Packard 120 sedan. It doesn't have correct upholstery, it's not detailed for show, it's mainly a very nice driver (IF it has the overdrive). $15,000 covers it up. Any higher than that and you're getting close to Super 8 territory.

After taking a closer look at the eBay photos, I agree with Cooter that maybe $12,000 is more in the correct range. Chrome is only "okay," wrong color steering wheel plastic, wrong upholstery material, emergency brake doesn't work, scratches in fender....

I certainly wouldn't pay $15,000 without a very knowledgeable person seeing AND DRIVING it in person.

Guest Tom Oliver

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After taking a closer look at the eBay photos, I agree with Cooter that maybe $12,000 is more in the correct range. Chrome is only "okay," wrong color steering wheel plastic, wrong upholstery material, emergency brake doesn't work, scratches in fender....

I certainly wouldn't pay $15,000 without a very knowledgeable person seeing AND DRIVING it in person. </div></div>

I'm told emergency brake works fine that the brick in the ebay pic is just for safety. While I know the interior is not correct for it's year, it's still done very nicely. One of the main resons for seriously considering this car is the low mileage and many original things still on the car. Also, I was told the running boards look to have been done correctly and in excellent condition, a big cost for sure if you have to have that done. Just a couple of minor scratches that the seller told me about upfront. Decisions, decisions!

Guest imported_Speedster

Tom,

If you like it, Go For It.

I Sure Do. smile.gif But I promise I Won't bid on it. wink.gif

I just hope the Reserve has come down some, from last time, or it Won't get to reserve, Like last time.

Just remember, these guys that say they Don't like it, may already be Bidding on it. laugh.gif LOL

Guest Tom Oliver

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Tom,

If you like it, Go For It.

I Sure Do. smile.gif But I promise I Won't bid on it. wink.gif

I just hope the Reserve has come down some, from last time, or it Won't get to reserve, Like last time.

Just remember, these guys that say they Don't like it, may already be Bidding on it. laugh.gif LOL </div></div>

The owner says the reserve has been lowered and the current bid is fairly close to it. Are you saying this Packard has been on ebay before? I don't remember seeing it on ebay before but I could have missed it.

Guest imported_Speedster

I think that's the one that was on eBay before, and it didn't sell since the reserve was at $20.K or more, but it's possible that I'm thinking about a different similar car. I sure think it was that one tho. I know it was late '30s 120, black with red wheels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the saying, "you can never pay too much for the right car, but the wrong car can't be bought cheap enough." </div></div>

Amen. I do have to thank West for that advice provided before I bought my Packard.

I have a neighbor who was so proud of the $600 truck he bought. $50K later, he should had spent a lot more and started with a better starting point.

Hi Tom, Looks like a nice car to me - surely has had a lot spent on it. The 39s are nice drivers - I have a 6 and a Super 8, have put 50K miles on the 6 - just a good, fun, reliable car. I think this steering wheel color was available in 39, but 40 used a darker one. The radio, lighter, deluxe heater, deluxe wheel, Goddess of Speed and front tall bumper guards are all nice and fairly rare accessories, which add to the value. The original carbs aren't the best, and upgrading to the newer one used in a couple years later may help too. You need a Packard Tom. I'll be glad to help you with any info if I can. Dave Mitchell packard12s@hotmail.com

Dave

Looks like the Deluxe radio also. My comment about the color of the steering wheel was meant that it didn't match the color of the rest of the plastic. Shouldn't it match? I know in 1940 you had your choice between the blond and the carmel, but not both. Being Packard, though, I guess you could order it any way you want, but...

Guest Tom Oliver

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dave

Looks like the Deluxe radio also. My comment about the color of the steering wheel was meant that it didn't match the color of the rest of the plastic. Shouldn't it match? I know in 1940 you had your choice between the blond and the carmel, but not both. Being Packard, though, I guess you could order it any way you want, but... </div></div>

That brings up the question: Is the dash real wood or plastic? Also, is the trim around the windows real wood or plastic? And what would be correct for this model year Packard?

Can add nothing to the comments concerning value, so won't try.

However, as a general rule, an engine that smokes when cold and does not smoke when warm needs a choke adjustment.

The choke is probably functional, or the engine would continue to smoke when hot. Auto chokes should be adjusted such that the choke valve just touches closed (no tension) with a cold engine, and an ambient of 68 degrees F.

Jon.

Tom

Not being extremely knowledgeable on the Junior models, I think I've mistaken the "wood" around the gauge cluster as being plastic. After a second look, it looks to be "woodgrained" metal, just like the main frame of the dashboard and the window surrounds.

It still looks funny (to me) to have the blond steering wheel mixed with the carmel colored dashboard.

I strongly suggest you talk to Mark Lambert. He knows these cars very well, and as I said, probably knows this car personally.

West , I agree with your expression also but in this case I don't think the buyer could go too far wrong provided it is in as good a shape as it appears to be. Having said that I don't think I would buy a car without a personal inspection by a qualified person familiar with the car. I see the reserve has been lowered.........

Guest superods

Tom...On Monday I purchased a 1933 Packard Sedan for 5000.00. I do so from two pictures and a 5 minute phone conversation I had with the gentleman from Ocean Side California. Maybe I could have gotten it for less, though I feel it was a fair price from the information I was given. You only live once my friend...listen to what everyone says and make up your own mind. Some of the finest cars I own I overpaid for...I just never tell anyone !! BTW...who cares if a little bitty thing is not original original...I would venture to say there will not be but one or two who know that any how. You can tell who they are by the little book in their breast pocket. I am just funnin now to make my point.

Mr Mitchell said it best in a previous reply. Someone already spent lots of money getting it to the state it is presently in. You will spend far less to enjoy i!. Myself I never worry about what i paid for something till I go to sell it. So most of the things not worth what I paid I donate and take a tax write off !!

The only plastic on a 39 Jr is the shift knob and the window crank knobs as I recall. The Super 8s had the full plastic and the steering wheels match that. The only color that I am aware of used for the Jr plastic is the tan/ivory color, and this steering wheel would be correct in matching that. The dash panels are burl woodgrained metal, and in my opinion quite nice looking for a junior series car, as it really is more like what you would find in a 12 in 39 or 36/37. The Super 8 dashes are almost always cracked. The dash in this car is either nice original or has been done and looks correct. Having that redone alone is very expensive.

I know this isn't a Super, but it will still be a fun car to drive. I have two Sixes, a 39 sedan and a 37 coupe roadster and they are fun cars, the 120 is almost the same car with more power. Some senior guys look down at them, only because they have never driven one. The price of junior convertibles has now overtaken the prices of big senior sedans, and they are gaining in popularity.

Guest 39Super8

I took a look at this car, it seems very solid from the pictures I looked at on eBay. I would really have to agree with Dave, the 39 120 has some advantages over the super 8 such as the metal dash ($5000 to $7000 to redo plastic super 8 dash) and the engine. The super 8 for 39 is a design that dates back to the mid 20’s and though proven and powerful, was very outdated by 39 (split crankcase and cylinder design with horribly weak rod bearing design). The super 8 engines are extremely expensive to rebuild, and very cantankerous. The junior 8 was a much newer mono-cast block design with well-designed durable components.

They produced enough engines that the parts availability is excellent, and prices are reasonable. There are many specific super 8 only parts that are very expensive, and worse yet are one year only and very tough to find (head, cylinder block, water pump, air cleaner, on and on) parts on the junior cars typically cover more years. The 120’s are great cars, inexpensive, and easy to maintain. Some in the Packard circles hold the 120 in higher esteem than the super 8. Depending on mechanical skill level, the 39 super 8 could be a real handful for a novice mechanic compared to the 120.

Without seeing this car in person, it’s hard to say what you will wind up with. I bought what was represented as a running driving car over a year ago, and have put a grand total of 18 miles on it. As I learned more about the car, I discovered that most of the rare 39 only super 8 parts were switcherroud for incorrect parts, and the engine while rebuilt to the best of the ability of the rebuilders, was not well enough done to actually drive. The funny thing is, that’s fine! I have met some of the greatest people involved in antique cars! Half the fun of this is learning about the cars, and hunting down the parts. Even working on the cars can be fun and rewarding.

Best of luck

Super 8, good advise on the cost and difficulty of rebuilding the super 8 engine. I actually almost bought the car you own about 7 years ago as my first Packard but was given the same advise from my Packard "expert". I then found a 40 120 which was a driver in very good cosmetic shape but I still ended up rebuilding the engine and overdrive a year later. I could have done a quickie valve job and got by but I really wanted to do a complete rebuild.

As you said looking for parts and working on them is half the fun!

While West makes the indisputable points around an in person inspection, or at least having a trusted party look at the car and offer advice, two other quick thoughts -

1) Not too much discussion on the "documented 25k miles" - if it can be confirmed, that should add some value even though it looks to have been mostly restored, refurbished or whatever.

2) This guy has not sold a lot but I would check out the feedback issue and have a live conversation before going too far.

That said, mid teens is still not bad if it is ready to roll as is. I was considering bidding as well, but am not - not due to the car's quality level, though, I think it is still a decent deal even as it is now crept up to the 16k range.

Guest Tom Oliver

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jjohnb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, From the description he has only owned the car for about 7 months or less and is selling it, isn't that a bad sign? </div></div>

I asked about that and he said he bought it from a man who had grown tired of it and was a Porsche club member.

Guest imported_49packard

Tom did you bid on it? According to the description the present owner bought it in Jan of this year-thus max of 2 months ownership.

Guest Tom Oliver

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 49packard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tom did you bid on it? According to the description the present owner bought it in Jan of this year-thus max of 2 months ownership. </div></div>

I probably will because he admitted he just bought it because it was so nice and the guy just wanted it gone and he knew he wouldn't be able to keep it.

Guest 39Super8

This auction seems very suspect. $18,100 high bid from a bidder with 0 feedback that just became a registered user 2 days ago. Most other bidders over $16,000 with very little feedback. A really neat car, but I am not convinced that this was a legit deal from the get go. Tom, if you didn’t get it (I am assuming you are not eBay user “james19430211”) hang in there, you can certainly find a great car through the network of good Packard enthusiasts here, and in the Packard clubs for the price range this car sold in.

Yeah, that sure does seem fishy. Of course, online you can never be entirely sure what's up, either with people posting advertisements on Ebay or in posting on message boards here at aaca.org.

Guest 1956Packard

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cooter9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know the seller, nothing fishy here just a good Packard. Wish I had got it. </div></div>

Buyer may not be for real - been there done that.......

Best excuse yet is '...my 11 year old son logged onto e-bay and bought stuff before I found out.'

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was thinking somewhere like $10-12K. </div></div>

You must have not thought it was that good a Packard smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was thinking somewhere like $10-12K. </div></div>

You must have not thought it was that good a Packard smile.gif </div></div>

Unforeseen circumstances kept me from trying to buy it or I would have. I'm going to see if the winner follows through with the buy.

Cooter, did you see the car in person? I am curious - I think at $18,100 it is still well bought if it is as described. We are not talking big big bucks here, been watching the 120s for a while and have been surprised at the sale prices of some that appear to be in lesser condition on eBay.