Replacing wooden spoke wheels with wire wheels

Guest oakland

Guest oakland

I have a 29 Oakland with wood spoke wheels. I have an opportunity to buy wire wheels for the car. Is is possible to just remove the wood wheels and install the wire wheels, or is there some kind of alterations I would have to make? Thanks for the input.

They are quite different to Chev. Only Oakland and Pontiac are the same. If you check your parts book you can see the differences between artillery wheels and wire wheels. In a nut shell you need, as the previous poster said, hubs, drums and hub caps. Depending on wether your car is an early or late one and wether the donor parts ae off an early or late one you may also need the backing plates, brake shoes and maybe even the brake cables.

If you are able to get all the parts from one car it wouldn't matter wether it was a Pontiac or an Oakland or 1929, 1930 or 1931.

I actually have three complete sets for my car (with all the required bits and pieces). I have a set of Artillery wheels (original), a set of disc wheels (once again similar to Chev but different){supplied on Canadian export cars} and a set of wire wheels. I actually think the car looks better with the wood wheels but there is no denying that it rides nicer on the wire wheels.