Dream Came True

HarleySoftailer

Yes CBoz - much quieter than the Harley. I have enjoyed a number of great cars but this is one of the few that actually caused my heart to race and my pulse to quicken. It was truly love at first site.

By the way - how do I get pictures to show up inside my posts?

Also - is there a Lincoln Owner's Club in Central Ohio?

Harley.

Guest V8andahalf

I too would like to know how to post a photo that is not on the web to one of my posts. Every time I try to post one, all I get is a box that asks for the http/ location of the photo. Can anyone post the directions?

Here's how I add photos:

It doesn’t always work (ask Rolf!) so keep trying.

GOOD LUCK! Hope to see your photos soon.

Three IMPORTANT items to remember:

1. DON'T add bitmap files. They are WAY too large and may result in posting a link to the photo and NOT the photo.

2. Try to resize the photo to a 640x480 resolution. That size seems to come out OK - not too big, not too small.

3. Add your caption BEFORE selecting your photo.

Cecil has posted a site which can resize your photos for you if you don't have Microsoft Photo Editor, Adobe Photoshop or other photo editing software, but I can't find that link. Can you re-post it Cecil?

post-32768-143137965807_thumb.jpg

post-32768-143137965809_thumb.jpg

NOT MUCH LINCOLN CLUB ACTION IN OHIO. THE CCCA RECOGNIZES YOUR CAR AND THEY HAVE FUN CARVANS...NICE COUNTRY CLUB SET...IF THATS YOUR BAG....LINCOLN CLUB IS SPLIT...CA...PA AND WISCONSIN.

OHIO IS SPORTS...DRIVE YOUR CAR TO BUCKS...BROWNS..

BENGALS OHIO U ...MIAMI ETC AND TAILGATE...ANYWHERE U GO WILL BE A CAR SHOW!!

I AM IN NW OHIO..

WE HAD A MEET IN 74 AT CEDAR PT...AND MORE RECENTLY DEARBORN AND KALAMAZOO MI... ST LOUIS.....MOSTLY

PA, MA, NJ, NY, MD.

Guest imported_V12Bill

The Lincol Owners Club is for the very early Lincolns from 1920 to 1939. These were known as the Model L and the Models KA, KB and K. These are the big old Classics. If you join the Lincoln Continental Owners Club you wil be eligable to join a local region in the Ohio area. As your car is a V12, you should consider the Lincoln Zephyr Owners club also. They don't have as much local activities going on, but they are good at getting out the details of authenticity.

Hey Harley, do they quote the old line in Ohio that says,"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?? Sure seems to apply to that stunning '48, but I think you should concentrate on finding an almost impossible correct air cleaner, and clamshell horns, the parts book lists them for '48 Connie only, yet little is ever said about them. Light colors always enhance Connie coupes I think, whereas the rag tops I like better in Black and Maroon-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rolf Burdette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you should concentrate on finding an almost impossible correct air cleaner, and clamshell horns, the parts book lists them for '48 Connie only, yet little is ever said about them. </div></div>

I recall that when we restored our 1942 Continental, the air cleaner was being reproduced. Are they not available anymore?

Plus, though I won't admit that I'm a 1948 Continental expert, but I don't recall ever seeing any other kind of horns on a first-generation Continental than the ones shown here.

But in any event, those are not items one needs to "concentrate" on if the car is going to be driven and not judged.

One of the very few differences between 1947 and 48 Continentals is the absence of the "Lincoln" script on the rear hubcaps (which you can't see if the fender skirts are installed). Another subtle difference is the clamshell horns on '48 cars (which you can't see if the hood is closed). I think that HaleySoftailer stated earlier that this car is a '47.

By the way, NICE Lincolns, HarleySoftailer.

Also a very NICE '41 Zephyr, Jim. Do you ever remember seeing my Green '39 Zephyr convertible in Oregon? It had Oregon plates when I got it out of upstate New York in 2003.

post-32768-143137965873_thumb.jpg

post-32768-143137965875_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_V12Bill

If your car is a 1947, then the horns could be correct.The early '47s had the trumpet horns, octagon hubcaps, winged hood ornament and a few other minor differences. When the late '47s came out the old parts were installed until the bin was empty like Henry always did.

If you need an air cleaner, I have a friend that may still have one for sale. They are not being reproduced any more.

Where is your overdrive relay that should be on the firewall? I see the 3 blind nuts in the center for it.

I wouldn't screw around with that connie at all, drive it till the wheels fall off, then worry about "restoring" it. It's beautiful the way it is. You can clean up the interior brightwork a little at a time yourself, you make it too nice and you will be afraid to drive it. There are enough trailer queens in this world.

Mike - I don't own a single trailer queen and I never will. I just love putting 'em back to new so I can drive 'em the way they were on day 1. But trust me, this Continental will see plenty of miles.

I just got off the phone with the chief curator at the Harrah Collection in Reno, NV. They had my car from 1984 until 1991. The curator sent me these pictures of what she looked like when they got her and the rest of their documentation is on the way via snail mail.

I'm trying to locate the gentleman who gave them the car. So far, I've identified five owners (including me). If the donor is not the original owner, then I could be the sixth or even seventh owner.

I guess my next step will be the Ford/Lincoln archives. I want to know when the car was built and the name of the dealer who first sold her.

And yes Jeff - I'm already looking forward to the Columbus meet. Lucille and I will be there for sure.

post-55475-143137965884_thumb.jpg

post-55475-14313796589_thumb.jpg

Hey Softail...

There is a guy in New Philidelphia, Ohio that is fantastic on interiors for our Lincolns, if that is your project for the 47. He has the interior out of my 41 Continental down there now. I am furiously working on the 41 trying to get some paint on it by April or May, then I'll haul it down for the installation of the interior and a top. If you go the route of an interior, I would for sure replace it as original, leather for leather, etc. It looks like you have a solid foundation and the more original you can make it, the more it will be worth, if that's a consideration.

There have been a few Continentals that have been taken off the frame for restoration, however I wouldn't touch that one with a ten foot pole. I cannot imagine the trouble trying to get everything back on square and level.

I have only had my car for 32 years or so, no sense in rushing into it but I can FINALLY see light at the end of the tunnel.

Now you will have the same problem as I do when it gets nice, drive the Lincoln, or jump on the Electraglide.

Tom

Kent, Ohio

Tom - thanks very much for the tip in New Philly. I've been using J&J Upholstery for my other projects and they are incredible, but I'm not sure they are the right shop to redo a classic so I may give your guy a ring when the time comes. My plans at this point are to go with a leather/broadcloth combination interior that was "right" for the '47 Continental. The original interior on my car was yellow and I'm not sure that's a combination I want. I'm thinking along the lines of a dove grey broadcloth with darker gray accent leather. The new interior is at least 10 months away so I've got plenty of time to seek advice and change my mind.

Now about the Electraglide... I do love that bike indeed. But in about six weeks, my Knucklehead comes back and that's the one I'll be pulling out when it's time for two wheels instead of four.

Harley.

Columbus, Ohio