1928 series "72" Chrysler Royal sedan

Quick update......I found a shop with a CNC Router. The hole is cut in the floorboard and another battery access cover has been cut. I attended a seminar last week on diecasting (remember I am still looking for a solution to restoring/replicating the door hardware). I am studying up and preparing to restore/replicate the two floor grommets; steering column/brake/clutch pedal grommet, and the shifter/emergency brake grommet. I had brought this subject up earlier; my plan at that time was to replicate these using rubber sheet material. I have subsequently rejected that course of action; and now are going to attempt to recast them. I am still in search of a sandblast booth.

post-34731-143138072036_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143138072045_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143138072053_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

To date.........I am working on several aspects of the restoration; these include: recasting the door and window hardware, reproducing the front floor mat, reproducing the steering/brake/clutch pedal and shift lever/handbrake grommets. I am waiting on word from John Wolf for the insrument cluster and Pulfer and Williams for the horn tag. I have successfully replicated the front floor board; so, effectively the woodworking is over with. Today Nickelroadster came over and helped me detatch the body from the frame. Now, on to the chassis restoration Here are some pics of this effort.

post-34731-143138079254_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143138079263_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143138079272_thumb.jpg

post-34731-143138079281_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Quick update-----------------I talked with John Wolf yesterday.................he is coming along with my instrument cluster................He is to send me some progress photos in the near future........The horn tags produced by Pulfer and Williams are quite good......some pictures anon. On a personal basis I have contributed little to the restoration as of late............I am in the real estate business and things have been slow: which requires me to concentrate more on my job.

Edited by HarryJ
better understanding of the situation (see edit history)

• 11 months later...

One year ago I added to this post; with a reference to my instrument cluster restoration by John Wolf. Well, I talked to John yesterday; he is to have it finished by this Monday (8/23/10) and will let me know what my charges are. My original quote was $1,900 to restore the unit, I subsequently was required to send my gas tank sending unit for repair also; so there should be additional cost. John came highly recommended and I anticipate high quality results. I will keep you posted anon.

• 4 weeks later...

HI

I am new to this site and have read of your progress on your chrysler. I just finished rebuilding a 1929 Blackhawk coupe to drivable condition and is still 90 % original. I ran into many of the same problems that you are having, especially with the potmetal parts, I had to make many of them over. I also spent some time sorting out the problems with the vacuum fuel pump and am well satisfied with its performance, I replaced an electric fuel pump someone had installed in the past but it tended to overpressure the float in the carb. and caused flooding. I have a copy of a 1928 MOTOR annual which has all the spec and data on all cars mfg. in 1928 plus a lot of info on that era, since I sold my 1928 car I no longer need it and would sell it if you are interested contact me by e-mail. good luck on your project and if I can help in any way with info contact me.

Dick Downing

Dick...........Thanx for the offer; however, I have several service manuals from this era.

Quick update for everyone else; John Wolf still has my instrument cluster and also my gas tank sending unit (I sent it to him 7/24/08). I talked with him today; it will be a few more days.

• 1 month later...

The instrument cluster and gas tank sending units are back in my hands, and I must say the wait was well worth it. They arrived friday. From what I can see John Wolf did a superior job! These parts look NOS, concours quality. I am very well pleased. If the mechanical function is up to par with the cosmetic (which I feel it should be), the wait was worth it. Note, the price was somewhat less than the original quote! I will submit some pics when I figure out how to do it.

post-34905-143138340575_thumb.jpg

post-34905-143138340899_thumb.jpg

post-34905-143138340904_thumb.jpg

post-34905-143138340908_thumb.jpg

post-34905-143138340911_thumb.jpg

post-34905-143138340915_thumb.jpg

post-34905-143138340919_thumb.jpg

post-34905-143138340922_thumb.jpg

Edited by Harry J. (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...
Quite a few of the pictures that were posted by people participating on this post have disappeared! What happened? We need these back; or should I say, I need these back!!!!!!!

Which pictures??

Keiser31,,,,,,,,,I may have spoken too soon,,,,,,,,,some of TexRiv's pics are missing; however this was noted in the past ( note post #66 & #116). TexRiv..............the answer to your question is, I don't know as the sending unit was part of the package. Please call John for a quote. It may have taken a long time for him to do the work for me; but, it looks EXCELLENT! They are very pleasant folks up there at his shop.

Edited by Harry J. (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

I see this is quite an old topic, is the car complete yet? It is real motivation as I am about to start restoring the exact same vehicle. <o:p></o:p>

• 9 months later...
Guest Mark T Boldry

And nearly a Year on from the last posting...

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, so please allow me to get involved slowly..

We've just taken in a 1928 Model 72 Roadster for recommissioning. The car has been in the same family ownership since circa 1932 and has been off the road in a shed since 1952. They now would like to have some use out of the old girl.

The engine is partly dismantled having 'run' No1 big end bearing, whilst the cylinder bores are in superb condition, the pistons have been left out and in the elements and are badly corroded. I see in the body of this thread, Dodge pistons may well do as replacements. I'm also going to need valves, springs collets and caps as these appear to be missing at the moment. Gasket sets will also feeture on my 'shopping list'..

The worst part bodywork wise is the radiator surround which is rottern away at the bottom, I'd like to find a replacement for this.

I'll try and post pictures as we go but if you'd like to follow a more comprehensive progress report, I'll be keeping updating our Facebook site or the website Classic Car Servicing Gold Coast and Brisbane | Classic Car Clinic

If anyone is still following this thread with restorations of 'Model 72' Chryslers, I'd love to hear from you..

Mark.

Guest Mark T Boldry

I have already started a thread on the Facebook page mentioned in my first posting, there are circa 250 pictures of the car so far, however, I'm happy to run a separate thread here but it won't be as comprehensive... Time available to write and post so many duplicate pictures being the main limiting factor.

Mark.

• 2 months later...

Yes some people are still following this thread. We have a model 72 golf club coupe and a town sedan with title as a parts car. There seems to be some slight differences in these cars. The light switch and controls for it are slightly different since the town sedan had side marker lights. I would love to find a new home for the doors. The wood is rapidly deteriorating but the sheet metal is very nice. The coupe still has its Fisher body tag in the middle of the cowl along with the Chrysler tag and the parts car only has the Chrysler tag. The coupe has the screws for the Fisher side tag and the town sedan does not. Does this mean the town sedan might be a Hayes body?

• 11 months later...

Great thread guys.

I'm a new joiner, with a 1929 chrysler 65 sedan, in restoration. Im just commencing on the body work now, and someone has tried their best to recut the wood door pillars, but i can tell they are the wrong shape as the metal does not nail back over the shape, its stretched out of shape. Would love to get detailed photos of any wood work, or directions on where to find patterns, or Fisher body manual.