remote question....

Guest Tammy

kinda in a pinch here...2 cars down mad.gif and if I don't get one up and running tomorrow morning I may have to uncover the S/60 to take it a meeting 40 miles away. cry.gif The remote stopped working for our '94 Chevy conversion van. Which has locked up our security system, which means I can't start it. How do I get that remote working again? I know stupid question, but have never checked into this. I'm guessing it's one of two things. Thanks Tammy, just burning the candle on both ends right now.

Try chaning the battery. Look at your other remotes to see if the battery would work in it. It might even be socially acceptable to ask your neighbors too, if you are in a pinch. Otherwise, have a fun and safe drive in the s/60!

Hey thanks Tommy! That is what I had figured, but when I couldn't get the darn thing open, I thought I had to go to the dealer etc..the darn stupid alarm system is so touchy on the van. I just hate it and so does everybody else who has ever worked on the van. Thanks again,I have had 1 ---- of a week.~Tammy

Better day today smile.gif

I got the exhaust fixed on the Olds! YES! It let loose 100 miles from home Sat night. My ears are still ringing. crazy.gif

And the batteries were good in the remote, it was the 170 thousand miles of pocket lint, that was the problem. Cleaned it all up, van fixed!

Hi, Tammy!

My question is...

If one lives out in the "Boonies" like we both do...

Why, oh why would one need an alarm on the cars?

Last summer, when I was waiting for a buyer to come inspect my '84 C4 Vette, my daughter, (Nanomekanik), inadvertently set-off the alarm. It was an old Chapman alarm, controlled by a key, not a remote, and I did'nt have the key. I spent the better part of the next 2 days tracing down the system's wiring, to remove it. The Vette had a factory alarm, and this made things more difficult, since Nano activated the factory alarm, and the Chapman jumped in atop of it. Both alarms were simultaneously set. Oh, Joy!

Ever since, I've been carefull NOT to activate any add-on aftermarket alarm, and try to un-install any I can.

NO alarm system will stop a thief, who really wants your car. Just like a house, there's always GLASS, which can easily be broken to gain access.

Randy, we bought the van used and it was already installed. I guess it came from a big city. And when it comes to wiring, I wash my hands. But pocket lint crazy.gif I can handle.

bummed in this kind of weather. Sand, SALT, ice and snow. And lots of it. But I didn't have to get it out. It was 43 degrees here Monday, which would have been ok if the road were cleaned off. Now we're in blizzard warnings with -30 degrees wind chill, go figure.

Nic, Thats a great idea except that first you have to get up early to clean the driveway, then get in an ice cold car, deal with salt/slush spray on your car as you go to work. At the end of the day go out to your car to scrape the windows, drive home, clean out your driveway once again. Eat supper then sit in front of the fireplace.

Most winters are not that bad, at least not like this year...