Are 4 dr.sedans worth restoring?

Twitch

On another forum I visited a guy had a question about whether he should buy a 57 Bel Air 283CID 4 dr. sedan for $2000. Pictures show the car without surface rust and in fact primered where little dents and dings had been fixed. The chrome looks good enough that it might buff up good enough to use on a driver car. It is all there. No floor and trunk rust.

Whaddya think? Here is one of the pics

57.jpg

I said just look at NADA, Gold Book, Collector Car Market Review for a idea of how prices are. I know 2 people who each spent about 12K on restoring Bel Air 4 doors.

There was a wide range of opinions-

4 doors aren't worth anything except for parts

You can't restore a car for just 12K

There's no guarantee it'll be worth more in 5 years.

What do you guys think?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4 doors aren't worth anything except for parts

</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">#1.</span></span> Cars are not investment properties. If this were all strictly about making money none of us (with maybe a few undesirable exceptions) would do this. If <span style="text-decoration: underline">you</span> like the car, that's all that matters.

Also if the car you've always wanted happens to be a 1957 Chevy, sedans and wagons are just about the only reasonably achievable way in for most people. The coupes and convertibles are priced <span style="font-weight: bold">way</span> out of proportion to any comparable car.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">#2.</span></span> "Restore" is an ill-defined term. Restoring something to #1/Senior condition is not the only option, and is <span style="font-style: italic">usually</span> not the best option for a first timer. In fact many is the person who's restored a 1957 Chevy to a state beyond which it cannot be enjoyed as it should.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">#3.</span></span> See. #1. Also: <span style="text-decoration: underline">Who cares???!</span> smile.gif

Given what is expected in gas prices, I doubt before very long that any of our cars will continue to accrue value the way they have historically. <span style="text-decoration: underline">And the ones that have accrued the most will be the ones with the most to lose!</span>

The last time we had a price crash in antique cars 15 years ago it was the high-end buyers/restorers that took the hardest hit. It seems to me that putting a lot of money into an old car right now isn't a very good long term bet. Therefore, since a coupe or convertible '57 in similar condition is a 500-1000% premium to purchase over this car, I don't see this as a minus for restoring a sedan vs a more expensive body style. Quite to the contrary, actually.

It all depends on your goals. If your goal is to have fun, I'm with Dave Moon. If your goal is to have fun while at the same time not putting in too much money into a car that won't reflect the value when you're done, then restoring a 4 door Sedan may be risky.

Guest ZondaC12

AAHHHHHHHHHHH DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!! Err actually no gimmie that thing NOW. laugh.gif

Wow if that was near me and I had the space I'd be going to the bank to make a withdrawal! 2k for THAT? That thing is beautiful. No rust-through anywhere? Unbelievable. I'd buy it throw some 5-slots on it glasspacks flamethrowers out back and do some crrrrrrrrrrrrruzzzin.

I love the front end on the 57s. I'd love to have one and honestly I'd take a 4dr maybe even a wagon. More importantly, I see that as $2000 for a 50-year old car, and quite a substantial one at that. It's a big 4 door V8 car. The amount of car you get is awesome! Ugh....wish I had all the space in the world there was a MINT '77 Cougar xr7 in the ads 3 months ago for $750. <span style="font-weight: bold">$750!!!!!</span> Sheesh I know theyre not desirable but theyre unique and its got a 302 maybe a 351 windsor, it was black, real slick-looking. I'd have taken it!

Twitch, please post up more of those pics either that or gimme the login to your photobucket or PM em to me I gotta see the rest of that thing cool.gif

4 DOOR POST IS LEAST ATTRACTIVE BODY STYLE...4DOOR HARDTOP IS THE ONE TO LOOK FOR.

FOR 2 GRAND, ALTHOUGH, WITH ALL THE CHIVY FANS IF IT RUNS..TRANS NO SLIPPING BRAKE LINES NOT BLOWN..WHEEL CYLINDERS FROZEN, TIE RODS READY TO POP..GREAT...

LOOK AT FLOORS..FRAME FOR NO RUST (HARD TO BELIEVE)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twitch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

4 doors aren't worth anything except for parts.

You can't restore a car for just 12K.

</div></div>

1. NOT TRUE

2. TRUE. CHROME PLATING ALONE WILL COST THAT

3. OF COURSE NOT

Guest rickomo1

My take is if you like the car,want to work on it because you enjoy it. then buy it. the cars i have are in different phases of reconditioning of restoration depending on what its to be used for. As for money i asked the wife to bury me in my 1942 lincoln zephyr 3 pass coupe and her reply was can it be smashed first so it will fit in a grave, so i guess the kids get the cars.

Time was I'd have turned up my nose at a 4-door, but now I find them affordable and just as interesting. I especially like 4-door hardtops, since they are generally as highly styled and appointed as the 2-door versions- sometimes nicer. They also tended to be pretty high in model hierarchy for most carmakers, usually second only to converts and high-line wagons.

Another way to look at it is, most of the restorations have been the flashy models, and people unfortunately tend to option them out in ways no contemporary car of the time would have been. I like seeing the bread-and-butter cars on a showfield or cruise night, and even in daily service. It's a truer picture of what people were actually driving when the cars were new.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4 doors aren't worth anything except for parts</div></div>

That mentality caused the demise of a nice 1967 Caprice Sport Sedan here. It was triple plum (very rare color), had a 396 and was fully loaded. The elderly owner could no longer drive and her out-of-town family sold it, and a yahoo with a 6-cylinder Nova bought it just to get the big block and TH400. He then hauled it to the scrapyard where it was soon crushed. mad.gifcry.gif

This was a car that with a little detailing, could have garnered a 2nd place award on any judged showfield in the country. It was complete, clean and unmolested. I know this because the last few years she drove, I would wash and wax it, and take it to get it inspected every year for her. But, her heirs didn't tell me they were going to sell the car till after the fact.

Then the Nova guy showed up at the cruise night yapping about the big block he'd scored and how he just junked that ol' four door car it came from cause they ain't worth nothing. I told him to his face and in front of a crowd that I ought to smack the dogsh*t out of him. mad.gif

And he says "I don't know why he got so mad, it was just a ol' four door". Some of the others enlightened him about my views on old cars.

I don't have any use for that cretin to this day. I'll turn my back and walk away if he comes close.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Restorer32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where did that silly idea ever get started that you can make money buying and restoring old cars? I am usually somewhat cynical but there likely is a reason that car can be bought for only 2 grand. </div></div>

Jeff

It's kind of like the silly statement I hear a lot from non car friends who comment about how much money a 1972 Dreil-Sprayel is worth.

"We had a 1972 Dreil Sprayel. I hear they're worth $50,000 now. I sure wish we would have kept ours now."

If I ask them if their Dreil-Sprayel looked like it had just been driven off the show-room floor when they sold it, they say, "Noooo, we drove that thing 80,000 miles. Finally sold it when the transmission started failing." I bring them back down to earth a little when I tell them that the $50,000 Dreil-Sprayel just came out of the restoration shop and the owners spent $75,000 getting it into that condition.

There's no one size fits all answer to this question. If he really likes the car and it's as described, it's a good buy. If he's able and likes to do his own mechanical/minor body work, it's a good buy. If he thinks he's going to make a killing on the car, it's not a good buy. If he has to pay for all his mechanical/body work it's a bad buy. If he pays to have it restored to very nice driver state, it's a real bad buy. If he pays for a body off 400 point restoration, it will be the worst buy he ever makes.......Bob

Too many variables. Cars that were STYLED as four door models, such as the 38-41 Cadillac Sixty Specials, are very collectible. Cars STYLED as 2 door moedls, then s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d to be four doors have more ungainly proportions and don't draw the interest.

Grocery getter four door sedans are just fine as long as you are OK with it. The dashes, old car feel-ness is about the same for 4 door models. But no, they are not as collectible as a category, but it's just too broad a brush to paint with.

it is only worth something if someone else is willing to pay the price for it. put 100k in it and if your only offer is $1 then its worth $1. if you want to invest in something look at utilities, if you want to enjoy the work you do and the feeling of the ride, buy the dang car!!!

I've restored more 4-door sedans in 46 years then anything else. I think the knock on 4-door sedans is overblown. Most of us had 4-door sedans in our family background, and old cars bring back good memories. Restoring old cars has to be about your own personal enjoyment, not what somebody else tells you. You have to find it affordable, too. There is far too much emphasis on the dollar these days in old car collecting. Just because prospective buyers have learned that they must pay more money for convertibles, that doesn't make a convertible bring YOU more personal satisfaction. Our 4-door sedan has been with us now for 45 years while various convertibles have come and gone. Yet, I do have convertibles. I have four '39 Buicks, one a convertible coupe, one a convertible sedan, one my original sidemounted, leather upholstered 4-door sedan, and one a plain black 4-door sedan, with plad seat covers, just like the one my parents had from 1941-1951. Actually, it is the one with the most memories of my childhood. I was born in 1938 and got my first '39 Buick, a sidemounted 4-door sedan in 1955. Of all my cars I've ever had, my wife and I love that old sidemounter the most.

I once told my wife that I wanted to build a 3 window coupe. Know what she said?

<span style="color: #3333FF">"Face it. We have 6 boys. When all of them grow up, we`ll have grandkids. There will ALWAYS be kids in our cars....a 2 seater or a coupe just won`t work for us." </span>

Pretty smart girl, huh? So for a family that enjoys the old car hobby together, a 4 door, a coach, or a wagon makes PERFECT sence!

As BJM states, there are certainly four door cars with great lines. Consider the '61- 63 Lincoln, nearly perfectly porportioned, and the subsequent restyles were pretty good also.

Four door sedans have become increasingly desirable with Model A people. They find the coupes, pick ups and roadsters, while pretty enough, are not the most practical especially if you like to tour a lot. These cars are a bit bigger inside, more comfortable, seem to ride well and sound nice and solid when shutting the doors. They are heavier though - more body wood for Briggs & Murray bodies - a big issue, though, if the wood is bad.

55-57 Chevys are another matter though. The four door sedan will always be the least desirable - if he knows that, then fine. There is no real practicality advantage or specific style built around four doors here. I have seen many very nice examples. I had a nice '56 two door sedan and I think even a four door pillarless hardtop is more desirable now, a real clean looking car. Personally, if I buy another it will probably be a wagon - those are a bit more already, and I think will appreciate faster as wagons grow in popularity.

Bottom line, he should base it on condition and if the car appeals to him. Didn't look too bad in your picture, Twitch.

I have a slew of 2 doors, the 1941 Dodge, 1948 Lincoln, 1966 Mustang and 1978 Lincoln Mark V ('21 chevy is a 4 door, but, I don't drive it for everyday use) 2 doors are such a hastle! When you want to move stuff or people (except my '41 which has a massive trunk!). The knock on the 4 doors is stupid, I have seen man 4 doors which are more stylish than the 2 doors of the same era. I love the Cadillac Seville from 1977, it looks classic and it has the modern ammenities and gets better gas mileage than the other caddies and Lincolns of the era and you get the luxury! I would love to get a brown 1977 Seville, if I had the room and the money! Also, look at the old 1960's Continentals they were 4 doors! and look at all of the pre-1950's cars with the suicide 4 doors, those are the coolest cars, I think that the gripe with 4 doors should not apply to anything pre-1950!

We have a '57 4-door 210 Sedan and is valued at $17,000, a price which is achievable here in the UK and Europe. To say they're not worth anything is perhaps forgetting the export opportunities that many companies both American and European have taken importing thousands of "valueless" Tri-Fives across to this side of the world.

And I won't even get into what a convertible can sell for over here!

Argyll. wink.gif

Wes,

You are correct, and others. It all depends on whether the car was designed as a four door model. let's face it, most modern transportation is designed as a four door. Will these be classics someday, hard to say.

It also has a lot to do with bodystyles. I can't imagine a four door Camaro or Mustang.

The 61-66 Lincolns were obviously intended to only be four door models, and looked great. When they came around to making a two door version in the late 60's, it was easily adaptable. Not so with the ungainly typical 50's grocery getter. For the fifties, except for the rare Cadillac 60 Special (with added wheelbase) I'll take a two door model anyday. Sorry, just my opinion.

I think the older the car, the more we can appreciate four door models. One of my favorites, the 34-37 Chrysler Airflows, need the long wheelbase of their four door models to gain correct proportion. The two door models look lik ersatz Volkswagon Beetles.

In my teens in the early 1980s four doors were far less desirable than a 2 door, especially to young drivers and barely of interest to most collectors, but I think that has changed for the better. During the late 1980s and 1990s most new cars only came in 4 doors as did SUVs as they rose in sales. Thus for most people younger than me 2 doors have been the exception rather than the rule for their whole driving life and to their eyes a 2 door hardtop 1957 Chevy does not look that much different than a 4 door (and in fact the mainstream public does not even know what "hardtop" means).

That said, a 4 door cannot justify the cost of a full body off professional restoration, but neither can most other collector cars except price-inflated musclecars or convertibles. But if you can find a clean original that needs a little TLC, maybe a little DIY, maybe a paint job without lots of rust repair, then this can be a great entry into the hobby. Especially in the case of a 1955-57 Chevy with lots of reproduction parts available.

A nice cross section of logic chaps! The other site has a few hard car car people but mostly vintage "other stuff" collectors and fans.

The guy wondering if the car was worth 2K wants a vehicle he can make nice enough to use for cruise-ins. Sure I see 4 dr. 57s till I'm sick at amateur auto functions.

The chrome is probably good enough that it would buff up enough to be useable on a driver. The car was running when parked so it is in a general sense roadworthy once the engine is restarted and brakes gone through. Interior needs complete work. Of course it needs paint.

My point is I can't see him investing the required money to make a decent little cruiser and losing out later.

While my friends took an in-the-family-since-new Bel Air 4 dr. and spent 12K on it this guy may not even spend that much. My friend's car spent every night of its life in a garage and had no rust- NO rust. I talked to a guy at a cruise in with a similar car who thought it was worth fixing up.

They put a 350 in place of the 283 and will rebuild that later. The factory air works once again! Interior was done with one of the accurate repro kits and all the emblems were replaced and chrome re-done. There was no reason to remove the body from the chassis. And no where does it say that a "High retail" or "#1 car" require such labor to command high appraisal.

Sure the stainless repro rear fender sweeps cost my friend $485 each but the guy thinking about the 2K may use his as is.

If it was a 2 dr. HT in this shape for 2K there'd be no question at being worth it. But since most all those are long gone or people know that unrestored they're worth at least 12-13K this car ain't bad.

It is worth about 4.5K in the guides in this shape so 2 grand isn't much. And perhaps he can get it for even less.

Anyhow I thought the topic would be worth some virtual ink in discussion since I feel it's a bit elitist to tell the guy that the car is worthless unless it's a HT or convertible. Tell that to the folks with Hudsons, Studebakers, Lincolns, Nashs and Kaisers.

And unless something weird happens tri 5 Chevies will continue to escalate in value- the HTs taking the sedans with them.

All the guy wonders is if he can come out with a decent car for cruise-ins without spending more than it is worth- that's 17K for "average retail" NADA 28K for "high retail." I figure in 5 more years his average car will be in the high 20Ks while convertibles will be headed to a quarter million. Can't see why for 15K plus purchase he can't make a decent cruiser.

But if this guy or anyone put more into any car is technically worth at the moment that's prety universal. It's not as though no has ever done that because they wanted a certain car, huh?

As a guy with a 51 Chevy 4 dr. said, "you take what you can get." He admits being biased cause he is restoring his 4 dr.

I wouldn't care if a Stude, Hudson or whatever was a 4 door. I figured at this point in time whatever you can find is fortunate.

Twitch says in 1957 Chevys hardtops will take sedans up in value with them and I think that is absolutely right, not at the high end of the market but in the middle class, local cruiser world. As I said earlier the younger would-be collector often does not have the 4 door stigma we have had and is only interested in an attractive old car that he(she) can work on and enjoy. A 4 door is more convenient for shows and cruises anyway and at maybe half the price of a 2 door hardtop it makes a lot of sense for enjoying the hobby. That is, of course, with a car that is not a basket case requiring lots of work but a solid example.

QUOTE(and in fact the mainstream public does not even know what "hardtop" means).

That said, a 4 door cannot justify the cost of a full body off professional restoration, but neither can most other collector cars UNQUOTE

It is amazing but true, the public today actually doesn't know the difference between a 2-door hardtop and a 2-door post. In fact, in my time a 2-door post was more undesirable than a 4-door sedan. It was a "coach" and just an old ladies car. The 2-door "Hardtop convertible" as it was first called was all the rage, and if you couldn't have a convertible, only a 2-door hardtop would do. As for the fellow who was talking about a 57 Chevy 4-door hardtop. I personally thought of any 4-door hardtop in the 50's as a step above a 2-door hardtop. That is because as an old car lover before I could drive, I thought the 4-door convertible was "classic" and the 2-door convertible was merely "sporty".

Finally, can a 4-door sedan be justified for a full and major (possibly body off) restoration. I contend with a big yes. As I said before, I own both a 39 Buick 4-door and 2-door convertible. They're worth more, and cost me more, but that was because of other people's tastes. When I was National President, it was my favorite car, a 4-door sedan '39 Buick on the cover. It was at one time, (1981) I believe, the best restored 1939 Buick in the World. I spared nothing. Money doesn't mean much when it's all hobby, and a lot of love.

Somewhere on the site there is a thread on auctions. Auctions have really made a difference in our hobby, but any comments I might have on that, are not part of this thread.

Guest ZondaC12

Just to kind of respond to the comment about the younger generation not having the "2dr only stigma" I gotta say I like the 2dr hardtops the best, I probably see them the same way as everyone else here does (did?). However, using the 57 chevy as an example, I actually would rank my preference as follows: 2 door HT, 2 door post, 4 door post, 4 dr HT.

That's part of my reaction I think to that first picture. I still would have gone nuts but it wouldn't have hit me *exactly* the same way if it were a HT. This is just me, but I feel like that idea of a "stretched" 2 door comes out in a 4 dr HT, whereas the post 4 doors look like they WERE meant to be that way! It's the borders and that freakin' 3rd side window!!!!! It just all flows a lot better for me. And yeah maybe I'm biased because of my own car, technically it is a 4dr post even though there was no other option at the time laugh.gif

At the same time....the comments are right I think at least in my case. Obviously 2 doors looks sportier. However if I'm looking at something thats 1930s-1950s, not about 1970ish, Im not thinking "man gonna see some SPORTY mean pavement-pounders here!" Im thinking "alright gonna see some big long cruisers that you can fit all your friends/family into". I actually am glad my '38 is a sedan and not a coupe. The stuff in those two decades is pretty notable for how big it looks. They really aren't overall very big (I was shocked to find the '38 weighs in at only 3500 lbs!!) but theyre TALL. No matter, all of my friends say DUDE YOUR CAR'S HUUUUUGE and it being a 4 door adds to that. One universal truth John Q. Public might first think of when thinking of an "old car" is the "thicker steel" and all of the addages that go with that and I think maybe that can be fit into the same category as the size of these vehicles relative to new stuff (and I do realize that my 38 IS indeed fairly large, at least now in the 21st century mid-size isnt what mid-size was 30 years ago). I guess what I'm trying to say is maybe 4-doors have more "old-car-ness" to them, at least if you look at them from this perspective. I don't mean to belittle 2-door vehicles as a whole and wipe them all clean off the slate as if they don't matter. Again just talking about the comment made re: people roughly my age who never saw these in their own time. Maybe it can help more younger people get into the hobby, if something they like equally as much happens to be within the reach of their bank account also. Perhaps my first comment made this whole crazy ramble unnecessary "A <span style="font-weight: bold">50 year old car</span> for $2k".

post, no post, 2 doors, 4 doors, 5 doors..oops that's a gate Doesn't matter to me. As long as I like the car, and want to preserve/resotre it, I'm going too.

My collection:

4dr - HPOF drivable car - trying my best to keep from restoring- only orginal once.

St Wgn - 11 years in restoration, painted, need to put back together and a few details parts.

2dr HT - 19 years in restoration, engine compartment done.

Dad has the convertible to go with my cars. The only '63 Chevy II body style we're missing is a 2dr post.

One additional comment here. A body shop (not restoration shop) one town over has recently had a couple of 57 Chev 4 door sedans for sale. My theory is they are finding these cars and making decent drivers out of them. Buffed more than replaced chrome, nice new pro paint & body in popular choices - red & white and turquise & white, not sure what mechanical attention they get - then selling them. To get 10-12 for them, they are probably buying in the 2-3K range. Assume they are making a fair profit and there must be a good enough market for them.

When I bought my '56 (around 1983) I could have had a nearly rust free 4-door 57 for $400. Paid a grand for the 2-door (had to have a 2 door then) with a much worse body and spent thousands. hmmm...

Zonda you have a grasp on it all real well. I like that you can appreciate 2 dr. HTs in vintage cars all the while we've been geting force fed 4 dr. sedans for 25 years with a few coupes.

As we talk about a stigma of the 4 dr. vintage sedan today and things like Tauruses as classics in 25 more years, I see this-

besides the really old 38 Buicks that will still be around, danged near everything from the 90s on will be 4 dr. sedans! What are Tauruses anyhow? If there is any stigma it will lessen but HTs will still be rare.

I read somewhere a statement to the effect that HTs were tried and seen as lacking and sedans became the popular layout. I've never stopped loving HTs but can't believe that people actually prefered sedans from the 60s on.

Unibody design probably had an affect on the hardtop cars. Without the B post at the rear of the driver's door, there is nothing tying the roof and floor pan together plus the floor pan would now have a longer span to reach without any support. It is amazing how vital the roof is on a modern car. If you could cut it off in one swipe, the bottom of the car would become a V.

Guest ZondaC12

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twitch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Zonda you have a grasp on it all real well. I like that you can appreciate 2 dr. HTs in vintage cars all the while we've been geting force fed 4 dr. sedans for 25 years with a few coupes.

</div></div>

And don't get me wrong....I would say if I was looking to buy something from the hardtop era....I would DEFINITELY want a 2dr HT. grin.gif My '87 cougar is a 2 door and I love the looks of that. More than anything I guess I like the 4 dr posts so $$-wise it makes my list of options MUCH larger since the 2dr HTs command so much more $$. I think I'm probably re-hashing my argument yet AGAIN, and yeah I'm going to school for engineering so down the road I probably ought to not have to relegate myself to the bargain-basement of old cars, but I like it very much that OTHERS who might have to do just that, can, and can enjoy the vehicle just the same. If I had to do that and it meant having a 4dr post, not a 2dr HT, I've STILL got myself a really beautfiul old car, and I just find that so fascinating. I think it's probably a stereotype that antique cars are only for the very rich, and it's just not the case. I would want people to know this because some of them might be would-be enthusiasts/owners but they don't know there's cheap stuff out there for them!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There was a wide range of opinions-

4 doors aren't worth anything except for parts

What do you guys think?</div></div>Twitch, if you don't have any cars, and you want to get into one, I'd say go for it. A '57 Chevy will always be a '57 Chevy no matter what it is. Once you get the car, there's nothing saying that you have to keep it until the day that you die, so if you want it, get it.

I myself would rather have a 2-door over a 4-door '57, but you take what you can get. Once you get the car fixed up nice, there's nothing saying that you won't find someone who has a 2-door '57 that isn't as nice that would be willing to trade for a nice '57 4-door. Who knows, once you get the 4-door fixed up, you might like it enough to where you'll want to keep it. If not, you've got a decent car to have fun with until you can afford something else.

When I was a kid, I wanted a Ford Bronco for my first vehicle but was forced to settle for a Mustang. It took me over 20 years, but I did get that Bronco that I always wanted. I'll have to fix it up, but I've got the truck, it's paid for, and it's sitting in my dad's basement. It'll most likely be a driver, but you never know.

2 door, 4door, what makes any difference, if it has a nice design? like I said before, 4 doors are much more useful, as long as they are not an economy car. It is crazy that these crappy economy cars like a Falcon, Comet or Fairlane are now collectable. Those are not good at all, whether a 4 door or 2 door!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1948Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> like I said before, 4 doors are much more useful, ...... </div></div>

You make a very good point - as I mentioned earlier we have a 4-door Sedan, and like many I would have much preferred a 2-door Hardtop, however a 4-door was all we could afford at the time. What did happen was when we first got it I was asked to provide our car as the wedding car for a friend and from there sprung a nice little business.

bobschevydundee3.jpg

Twelve years on we now have a thriving little wedding car hire company, still using the 4-door because a 2-door, we discovered would be too difficult getting brides in and out of the back seats. In a good year the 4-door will earn us roughly $12,000 - $14,000, so to me getting a 2-door now would actually be going backwards as it'll cost me money, not make it for me.

Here is my 64 Belvedere 4 door. I think it is every bit as nice as my 2 door 64's. Besides, it brings back a lot of memories. I had a similar one years ago.

post-30986-143137964686_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is my 64 Belvedere 4 door. I think it is every bit as nice as my 2 door 64's. Besides, it brings back a lot of memories. I had a similar one years ago.</div></div> Forget the Belvedere, show me the wrecker!!!

Guest ZondaC12

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1948Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is crazy that these crappy economy cars like a Falcon, Comet or Fairlane are now collectable. Those are not good at all, whether a 4 door or 2 door! </div></div>

Im REALLY gonna have to disagree with ya there. Falcon, Comet, Fairlane? Have you LOOKED at those? All three of those are totally stunning. I'd LOVE to own any of them. Besides later in the 60s you could have 'em with 302s 390s etc. so they werent just economy cars they became muscle too!

Guest imported_MrEarl

I have no problem with 4 doors. (See signature below) Some 4 door models actually look as if they were designed for 4 doors (ex 42 thru 48 Buicks)

de8dd6f6.jpg

and some look as if a 4th door was just added for convenience and look awkward.(Someone want to add an example)

And to quote a great man and past president of the BCA, Paul Meyer at the 07 Buick Nationals award ceremony, the below car, "just shouts prestige and high society".

5438e37f.jpg

I would have to agree, I think some 4 doors are certainly beautiful in their own right. And if you can recognize those models and buy one at a steal before the owner recognizes well good for you.