Are 4 dr.sedans worth restoring?

Twitch

Anyone who dismisses an old car because it's a four door does himself an immense disservice. That outlook overlooks better than half of all the rich automotive history represented in that body style.

For those who primarily equate 'worth' with return on dollars invested, I'd recommend they look elsewhere for a more satisfactorily remunerative hobby........ and leave the old cars alone for those who truly understand and appreciate their intrinsic value.

I NEED a four door for every day use, my toys are optional and I don't need two extra doors. I don't need my hobby cars to haul plywood, groceries, or people. Even if I needed a four door for hobby use, I would not even consider restoring one. The selection of nice ones that are turn key drivers for 1/4 of the cost of the restoration of a project are around. It might not be about money at the start, but a project will cost money........ a lot of it! So in the long run it still comes back to money

Edited by Biscayne John (see edit history)

Guest Skyking
I NEED a four door for every day use, my toys are optional and I don't need two extra doors. I don't need my hobby cars to haul plywood, groceries, or people. Even if I needed a four door for hobby use, I would not even consider restoring one. The selection of nice ones that are turn key drivers for 1/4 of the cost of the restoration of a project are around. It might not be about money at the start, but a project will cost money........ a lot of it! So in the long run it still comes back to money

John, I totally agree............This post made the most sense so far!!!

John, I remember Barrett-Jackson auction about ten or so years back when a 1948 Cadillac 60S ( one of my favorites) went across the block. The car was a stunner and a fresh restoration. That car got about half of what a Sedanette or the next years first Coupe de Ville (also my favorites) would bring. Interesting that those price differences while more extreme reflect the same trend in new cars today. Today's new four door cost less money than a two door equivalent, while in production cost the four door cost more to make labor and material than a two door.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

I was surprised that the 2 door CTS was few grand less with the same equipment then the four door, again it might be a regional price structure. Years ago that was very true, for some reason there is a change in that pricing

I guess I was basing my assumption on the products (brands made by the same parent company) I am most familiar with. I worked for that manufacturer for 34 years. Still, I couldn't see why they priced the 4 dr's lower on both brands.

john I just went to the Cadillac web site. The base 2014 CTS Coupe starts at $39,495.00 and the base CTS 4 dr sedan base is $45,100.00

A Nissan Altima 4 dr sedan base is $22,300.00 while a Altima coupe is based at $25,230

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

With modern cars, the 2 door versions are based off the 4, thus they are terribly designed. The CTS 2 door car and Altima Coupe are far less attractive when compared to the 4 door versions. BMW seems to be the only manufacturer who can currently successfully pull off 2 and 4 door versions of the same car.

A four door car can be a great and economical way to break into the hobby. Is it worth restoring? Well, I think out of a hundred people, you will get a hundred different answers as to the definition of "restoring". That being said, a restoration of every nut and bolt will not likely yield a profit on most any car, the exception being a milestone, or historically significant vehicle. Thankfully, of the people I have restored cars for, they wanted the car more than the money. Similar to the way I wanted a large flat screen. I could have bought one on Craigslist for half price, but I wanted a "fresh" one, and know exactly what I have from day one.

The trick, however, is to not bury yourself. Realize that you have to budget the cost of the car, what you are going to do to it, and the realistic amount of value the car will have after improvements have been made. Concentrate on things that have the highest perceived value. Good straight sheet metal, clean functioning wiring of lighting and accessories, and mostly complete and functional drivetrain. Notice the use of the word "functional" as opposed to "restored". If you play your cards right, don't make foolish investments, and have a plan, you can actually come out OK in the end. You may not make a killing, but it could be a sort of hobby savings account in which you get some of your money back to put towards the next , nicer car.

I do believe some of you on here do not need a car at all. No kids and a half ton of stuff to haul. It is a no brainer. Buy a vintage Pickup truck. It is two doors, and can haul plenty. ;) Dandy Dave!

Need? Buying the fifth car was a no brainer for me, or was it the fouth, no maybe the third.

You know, if I had half a mind to by a sixth at least half a mind will elevate me from no brainers.

Bernie

Define 'Restore'. Are we talking a concours level restoration, with every nut and bolt removed, polished, primed, painted etc? Mirror-like plating, and a $30K paint job that looks like the car was dipped in plastic??

Or, are we talking about putting the OP's photographed car on the road with a nicer paintjob, enjoying the car with some new tires if needed and a good going over for safety and reliability ??

One of my first 'collector' cars was a '57 4dr post Belair. bought it in '99 for $4500, drove it every spring, summer and fall for over 10 years and sold it for $9000. I did nothing to the car but change oil, check the points, and air the tires..

This 4door car was the car of choice to take friends out for dinner, or to go 'antiquing' or whatever. Who want's to crawl into the back seat of a 2 door car? Easy in and easy out, lots of legroom and a low purchase price.

Restore it? no, it costs the same or more to fully restore a 4 door. But the OP's pictured car doesn't 'need' a restoration, just a new owner and a quicky paint job to be a fun car for a decade.

GLong

If you look at the mechanical and performance aspects, a four-door is the same as a two-door car, especially on 1950's and 1960's Chevrolets. Regardless of the body style, a 1957 Chevy is a cool old car. If you can get it for $2000, buy it and have fun refurbishing and driving it.

I had as much fun driving my 1970 Chevelle Malibu six-cylinder, four-door sedan as I did my 1964 Corvair Monza convertible. My four-door 1972 Nova drove the same as my 1963 Nova SS coupe. I've moved on and now I have four-door hardtops, a 1961 Bel Air and 1965 Impala.

For a lower purchase price, you'll get as much, if not more car when you buy a four-door collector car. Don't worry about other's opinions.

If you look at the mechanical and performance aspects, a four-door is the same as a two-door car, especially on 1950's and 1960's Chevrolets. Regardless of the body style, a 1957 Chevy is a cool old car. If you can get it for $2000, buy it and have fun refurbishing and driving it.

I had as much fun driving my 1970 Chevelle Malibu six-cylinder, four-door sedan as I did my 1964 Corvair Monza convertible. My four-door 1972 Nova drove the same as my 1963 Nova SS coupe. I've moved on and now I have four-door hardtops, a 1961 Bel Air and 1965 Impala.

For a lower purchase price, you'll get as much, if not more car when you buy a four-door collector car. Don't worry about other's opinions.

You are wrong on the performance aspect. A 2dr has a reduce weight advantage and the heavier 4dr won't go around corners as well as a 2 dr. When you compare GM intermediates from 1968 you realize the 2 dr. has 112" wheelbase and the 4dr has a 116" wheelbase. This exasperates the cornering difference between the two models. Plus, because the car was styled as a 2dr. the stretched wheelbase not only makes the car longer, but makes the shape look out of proportioned especially compared to the 2 dr.

p1020752.jpg

pontiac-le-mans-4dr-04.jpg

You are wrong on the performance aspect. A 2dr has a reduce weight advantage and the heavier 4dr won't go around corners as well as a 2 dr. When you compare GM intermediates from 1968 you realize the 2 dr. has 112" wheelbase and the 4dr has a 116" wheelbase. This exasperates the cornering difference between the two models. Plus, because the car was styled as a 2dr. the stretched wheelbase not only makes the car longer, but makes the shape look out of proportioned especially compared to the 2 dr.

p1020752.jpg

pontiac-le-mans-4dr-04.jpg

Helfen is correct with regard to the performance aspect, and with his specification regarding the 112" vs. 116" wheelbase of the 1969 Tempest/CustomS/LeMans models.

When they were new, I considered buying the 2-door hardtop, but my impending marriage made the 4-door sedan a better choice for me. I also chose my options to keep the car "FUN" to drive by selecting the Pontiac (not Chevy) 350ci V8 and the 3-speed Turbo-Hydramatic M400 tranny, front disc brakes, F-41 suspension package, and other items important to me and my wife.

Yes, this combination may have given up a bit of performance/handling with regard to the extra weight associated with the 4" longer wheelbase. On the other hand, for the purpose of towing our 22ft boat, I believe that the additional wheelbase length added a measure of stability. For the ease of belting in the infant seats when GM first released their "Safety Seat", for the convenience of transporting aging parents with the additional 4" - presumably increasing rear legroom along with the convenience of a 4-door, the 4-door sedan was the right car at the right time, at least for me.

Did I give up some performance, acceleration, and maybe even some economy of purchase and operation with the added weight and length of a 4-door model? Statistically I'm sure I did, but life is a series of decisions. What was right for me in buying a 2-door convertible in 1959, and a 4-door sedan in 1969, and a 2-door convertible in 2009, - may or may not be right for me in 2015, and may or may not be right for you tomorrow. Do I want performance, handling, comfort, economy, style, value for my dollars, or some combination of those factors? Choices - choices - choices -- we all make them !

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Helfen is correct with regard to the performance aspect, and with his specification regarding the 112" vs. 116" wheelbase of the 1969 Tempest/CustomS/LeMans models.

When they were new, I considered buying the 2-door hardtop, but my impending marriage made the 4-door sedan a better choice for me. I also chose my options to keep the car "FUN" to drive by selecting the Pontiac (not Chevy) 350ci V8 and the 3-speed Turbo-Hydramatic M400 tranny, front disc brakes, F-41 suspension package, and other items important to me and my wife.

Yes, this combination may have given up a bit of performance/handling with regard to the extra weight associated with the 4" longer wheelbase. On the other hand, for the purpose of towing our 22ft boat, I believe that the additional wheelbase length added a measure of stability. For the ease of belting in the infant seats when GM first released their "Safety Seat", for the convenience of transporting aging parents with the additional 4" - presumably increasing rear legroom along with the convenience of a 4-door, the 4-door sedan was the right car at the right time, at least for me.

Did I give up some performance, acceleration, and maybe even some economy of purchase and operation with the added weight and length of a 4-door model? Statistically I'm sure I did, but life is a series of decisions. What was right for me in buying a 2-door convertible in 1959, and a 4-door sedan in 1969, and a 2-door convertible in 2009, - may or may not be right for me in 2015, and may or may not be right for you tomorrow. Do I want performance, handling, comfort, economy, style, value for my dollars, or some combination of those factors? Choices - choices - choices -- we all make them !

Marty, remember when the GM family of intermediates switched to the Colonnade style.....There was even more difference between two and four doors!

goodreardriverview.jpg

th?id=HN.608023067205895614&pid=1.7

Helfen,

I do remember that era, but not as fondly as the earlier stuff. THey were moderately decent, but just didn't serve to excite me. When they (the Colonnade style) were new, we were enjoying our '17 Franklin, '27 Chevy Roadster, '58 Bel-air 4-door sedan, and collection of the varied (wierd and wonderful?) Citroen vehicles - some as everyday drivers, and we were still driving our '69 Pontiac Custom-S. Sometimes I think I'm "Lost in the Fifties", or maybe even the '30s...

Thanks for your response.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Doesn't matter what the ride is, as long as the owner feel good in it. One of my favorite cars out of the ones I have owned was a run of the mill 1967 Sedan Deville that was about 30 years old, beautiful light blue with a dark blue cloth interior. Most people would not give it a second thought but it felt just right to me and my family for a few years. It ran great, had all the comforts including AC. I still regret selling it and still look at the mid 60's Caddies every time I see one..

I totally agree, if you look at the above thread # 111 you can see that I went from that black 69 355 H-O LeMans to a four door Omega Brougham! Fortunately I still have them both.

I prefer 2 doors because of the larger door opening to get in and out of

John that depends on how and where your car is parked. When my back let go I had just parked a G-35 coupe in the engineering garage. The parking spaces were very tight. When in a very tight space a shorter door from a 4 dr. will let you open the door a little wider and closer opening to the driver. In a tight space, the opening of a coupe is way behind the driver, so in a tight space you are doing a spine twist out of a coupe to get out, and in my case a vertebrae disc let go. That effectively ended 50+ years of surfing.

On another forum I visited a guy had a question about whether he should buy a 57 Bel Air 283CID 4 dr. sedan for $2000. Pictures show the car without surface rust and in fact primered where little dents and dings had been fixed. The chrome looks good enough that it might buff up good enough to use on a driver car. It is all there. No floor and trunk rust.

Whaddya think? Here is one of the pics

57.jpg

I said just look at NADA, Gold Book, Collector Car Market Review for a idea of how prices are. I know 2 people who each spent about 12K on restoring Bel Air 4 doors.

There was a wide range of opinions-

4 doors aren't worth anything except for parts

You can't restore a car for just 12K

There's no guarantee it'll be worth more in 5 years.

What do you guys think?

This is my 57 Bel Air Sports Sedan. Check out my post. Car still available.

http://forums.aaca.org/showthread.php?t=378729&p=1354002#post1354002

post-71470-143142901513_thumb.jpg

Agree 100%. Looking for a car as a hobby, found this. Gets as much if not more attention at car shows than the "All chromed 600 H.P.muscle cars." And it's really a lot of fun to drive!!

"post-31862-143142913351_thumb.jpg

Doesn't matter what the ride is, as long as the owner feel good in it. One of my favorite cars out of the ones I have owned was a run of the mill 1967 Sedan Deville that was about 30 years old, beautiful light blue with a dark blue cloth interior. Most people would not give it a second thought but it felt just right to me and my family for a few years. It ran great, had all the comforts including AC. I still regret selling it and still look at the mid 60's Caddies every time I see one..

post-31862-143142913339_thumb.jpg

post-31862-143142913345_thumb.jpg

post-31862-14314291335_thumb.jpg

Let's just say that big black New Yorker has "presence" :cool:. To be honest anything looks that intimidating will always draw a crowd. It looks like it wants Honda for breakfast.

The 413 and the two bumpers weigh more than the average Honda.:D

If you get the chance to bet a 1962 Chrysler is lighter than a Honda, take the bet.

1962 Chrysler - 3950 lbs

2014 Honda Pilot - 4306 lbs

If you want to compare 4 door sedans it would be closer to a photo finish

2014 Honda Accord V6 Touring - 3559 lbs.

Park the Chrysler between the 2 Hondas and it doesn't seem possible but it is.

Great looking car. I have had several Chrysler products and enjoyed them all. There is something for everyone out there and it would be a very dull hobby if everyone collected the same thing. I enjoy seeing them all even if I am not interested in owning some of them.