tranny question

Guest ekvh

My 88 will sometimes lurch forward as much as the park lock will let it upon start up. The other day I started it, put it in neutral and it went 10-15 feet forward. It was -24 f. Sometimes when I come to a stop the engine will almost die and the car will seem like it wants to go forward as I hold on the brake. Any tranny experts that can tell me if I have significant problems (torque converter) or is this a sticking modulator valve? I have had the car but a few months and the previous owner said he'd just had a new tranny put in. I need a new crt so I can't read the info there yet. It shows no codes in the aldl. Any advice is appreciated, this is a great site.

The car has an device in the converter to lock it when the car get around 40-50mph... this stop the slippage of the converter.

It sounds like your converter is either sticking or has stuck at some time and is dragging.

I quickly looked at the manual to find a wire that you might unplug to check the operation but could not find it...maybe someone else

In the transmission section under "Converter clutch does not relaese" it says to check ECM, Control Valve Asm, TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) Orificed Screen.

Guest campolojr

Maybe try hooking a stwitch to wire f and a of the aldl on the emergecy brake just get a switch lying around or even two wires put one wir in f one in a drive down the road in regular drive (Not low gears or od)and touch the wires or flip the switch if you feel the tcc lock up then its not that try unlocking and locking a couple times maybe its stuck. aldl_connector.gif

The transmission does go in and out of lockup, in my opinion too easily. When I am in the main drive position, the first one past neutral, it locks in at 45 mph or so, but if I am traveling 60 and let off the gas at all, it uncouples and the rpm goes up for a bit before re-engaging. Does that sound normal? None of my other cars would disengage that easily. I would think it should stay locked in until I go below 45 or push the accelerator hard enough to have it shift down.

A second thought here is regarding my cruise control. It pulsates quite a bit. The speedometer doesn't show a change in speed, but you can feel it constantly surging and coasting. I end up resting my foot on the gas pedal to keep it from that. When I take my foot off the gas I can see the pedal going down and up to maintain speed. Could I have a vacuum leak that would be affecting both? I will examine hoses tonight, if I can get it inside.

Guest steveskyhawk

Mine acted similar after a major pressure wash. As it worked out I had flooded the the throttle position sensor which sent bad info to the tranny and cruise. How does it idle? My idle was erratic. Sometimes it was fine.

Mine idles great and started right up this morning at -28F. It has a slight miss when idling which is likely plugs or wires. Mine has these crazy four-pronged spark plugs. Anyone else seen these? They must be a bear to have all four prongs gapped the same, and if not close to the same, wouldn't the other prongs be dead weight?

I am considering the above post but was wondering if it will go into OD when the aldl connector isn't in place.

Guest campolojr

Yes I agree, stseve when you did that did the ses light come and ekvh do you have the ses light on. Also pull the line off the modulator to see is you have fluid. Also From the sounds of it, if your cruise stays at one speed then i would say its good maybe the noise means its going out never heard that on mine. I think autozone has a loaner tool vacuum tester maybe they could test that there also check the tranny fluid examine it well smell it, color. Where are you located.

Sounds like JCW "Fire Injectors" - I had a set once for almost ten minutes before taking them out. Prolly still in a toolbox at home.

Have seen mention that if the TCC sticks it can stall the engine at a stop. Keep in mind that when the oil is really thick there is some tendancy to lock the planetary gears even in neutral. Have seen unloaded wheels spin a bit but sounds like your case is extreme.

AFAIR the TCC is asserted by a +5v signal from the ECM and should release when there is no voltage.

One of the oddities of the TCC is that it automatically disengages when the TPS drops under 2% (foot off gas)for freewheeling but the DFCO will keep the revs up for a bit so it may jump.

ps the Teves diagnostic pin is G for 88 and H for 89-90 on the ALDL.

Sounds like the fire injector plugs are going to leave. I am beginning to wonder about the tps and perhaps that is what is causing the up and down fluctuation when the cruise is set. I talked with a friend with a different car that did the same thing and they replaced the tps. Is the tps adjustable at all?

I am in NW Minnesota. Last weekend I spun it into the ditch at 50 mph or so. You know these Reattas slide across hard snow really nice. The only thing that kept coming into my head was, "Damn, I wish I had the '89 with an airbag!"

Guest campolojr

Yes I do hope your ok and sorry I didnt answer you about your plugs. I believe those were manufactured for high compression engines or boosted. I just use ngk v-cut and they work wonders sorry to hear she took you into the ditch but man I have never had a front wheel drive car sideways like these reattas

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am beginning to wonder about the tps and perhaps that is what is causing the up and down fluctuation when the cruise is set. </div></div>

Have you checked the cable and linkage between the cruise servo unit and the throttle? Excessive slack in the cable can cause the fluctuation you describe. The cable is adjustable at the servo end.