1922 cleveland

old car fan

Guest 1929Chandler

Hi Tim, They did not have a lot of power back then . But you might start by checking the exhaust system . Make sure it is not closed off by a bend or somthing inside the system . If plenty of exhaust is comming out the tailpipe check timing next . Good Luck Roger

Do a compression check. if good and you can tap the vacuum put a vacuum gauge on it and see what it tells. Please tell us how you are sure the exhaust is fine. Try retarding and advancing the timing and see what happens. Are the brakes free or draging? try a different carb maybe the idle circut is ok but but otherwise not giving enough when running.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFranklin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Carbking, do you have any good recomendations for replacing the die-cast stromberg on my 1928 Hupmobile 6 cyl? Thank you, J Franklin </div></div>

The Stromberg T-2 may be replaced with a bunch of different carbs, depending on a bunch of different criteria.

Give me a call (no obligation), and then if you wish to type up the answer here, you get to do all the typing! wink.gif

Jon.

Checked the carb today.It has the proper carb.I did try to advance and retard the timing,not muc changes.It doesnt even make a difference when starting.We hardly ever drive this car because of this problem,to nice of a car to sit and look good.Hope we can solve the problem.

How about looking for a vacuum leak? that could cause problems. Still would like to know how you determined the exhaust was not the problem. one more thing, you could jack up the back wheels and remove the plugs and use the hand crank to see if there is any drag or binding in the drive train. btw what is the HP of your car?

Enclosed is a few shots of my 1922 Nash. Good luck

post-44363-143137963994_thumb.jpg

post-44363-143137964004_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...
How about looking for a vacuum leak? that could cause problems. Still would like to know how you determined the exhaust was not the problem. one more thing, you could jack up the back wheels and remove the plugs and use the hand crank to see if there is any drag or binding in the drive train. btw what is the HP of your car?

Enclosed is a few shots of my 1922 Nash. Good luck

----------

I know this is old...

But try replacing points and condenser....Had a car that would just bogg down, no power when it had points/condenser problems.

Hmmm, did they resolve this? Always good to hear the final results.

Guest PIKESPEAKING

I KNOW CHANDLERS WERE POSITIVE GROUND. IF CONNECTED BACKWARDS THEY WILL RUN BUT WITH LITTLE POWER. NOT SURE IF CLEVELANDS WERE POSITIVE GROUND OR NOT. GOOD LUCK

Guest fossiltin62

Whether chain or gear, cam timing could be out a tooth or so. Car will then start and run but will be lazy.

• 1 year later...

If the timing is correct, the engine should fight back against the starter if the timing is fully advanced when trying to start the car.

An old coil can run fine at low rpm, and not be able to create enough spark to run at higher rpm, it acts almost like a governor, limiting rpm and power. Try another 6v coil to see if there is any difference.

GLong