Allow me to introduce myself...

Tony T.

My name is Tony and I'm a long time Mopar nut, turbo dodge fan and a new TC owner.

I recently purchased a yellow '89 from the original owner, TII with a black soft top and ginger interior. The car is really in pretty good shape, considering it was a midwestern car it's entire life. With over 200k miles however, it does have some 'issues'.

Most important of these are the brakes. The amber 'anti lock' warning light is on at all times and it has a very soft pedal (varies between soft to scary soft). Occasionally, the 'brake' warning light also comes on. The fluid level is good.

The car had been sitting for a while when I came across it. Naturally with the amber warning light, I suspect the antilock computer. I'm planning on having the system repaired by a shop I trust, but I'd like to go in with a idea of what replacement parts to plan on and where to find them!

Also, does anyone use Hagerty Insurance for their TC? I've got a '72 Demon 340 listed with them, and they say they "may" be able to add the TC, but would like to see some photos. I was a bit taken aback when the lady asked me "what makes this car collectable?"

Any input welcome,

TT

Bienvenue. I finally got a quote from Hagarty after hagelling but never took the policy.

Do a search in here for brakes and you'll be quietly reading for hours.

Guest mtworkshop

Replace the accumulator and flush the brake system. IMMERDIATLY!!!! You will need to bleed the brakes a whole lot to get all the nitrogen from the broken accumulator bladder out of the system. If you do not have a manual get one. There is one on e-bay for less than 100 bucks. Remimber even with a vacuum brake bleader thingy, you must depress the peddel when bleeding the rear brakes.

Guest mtworkshop

Replace the accumulator and flush the brake system. IMMERDIATLY!!!! You will need to bleed the brakes a whole lot to get all the nitrogen from the broken accumulator bladder out of the system. If you do not have a manual get one. There is one on e-bay for less than 100 bucks. Remimber even with a vacuum brake bleader thingy, you must depress the peddel when bleeding the rear brakes. a far as insurance goes - I have 1000 deductable for full coverage on my TC. They value the car at 7500 and damage must exceed half of that to total the car. All I need is a hood to fix my number one car. Also need to straighten the front wall where the radiator bolts in - aany ideas?

Hi Tony,

Buick Reatta has the same brakes the TC has, and they have a better Computer Brake Page so,go to www.reatta.net/brakes click on brake troubleshooting print out the 4 or 5 pages and take the 15 min. to run the diagnostics .

then ask..

The guys are correct.. Replace the accumulator (They are supposed to be replaced about every 5 years..

Bleed and flush the brakes with DOT-3 fluid (some have used DOT-4 )the brakes should be flushed every 2-3 years.

Remove rear wheels, Check condition of brake pads, replace if neccessary, break loose rear bleeders, then close them again. pump brake pedal 20-25 times, check fluid level (fill to mark on reservior..Close cap tightly, Use something or someone to push and hold down brake pedal, turn on key, open bleeder let fluid run till clear close bleeder. turn off key pump pedal 20-25 times fill reservior, tighten cap, turn key, push pedal down & hold down open other bleeder, run till fluid runs clear. close bleeder, put on rear wheels, go to front, pull wheels, check pads and replace if necessary, open & close bleeders, bleed front wheels as a normal car 1 side at a time till fluid runs clear. remember to pump pedal 20-25 times before opening fluid reservior, and close cap tightly.

Now run the Buick Reatta Tests again.

I have regular insurance on mine. Ask the insurance company if they value it based on Blue Book or Fair Market.

I had a discussion with the insurance company about my Jeep that was "totalled" in an accident. They told me it was worth $1800 and were prepared to give me a check for $1400 and change. I asked if they used fair market (replacement) value or blue book. They told me Fair Market. I said, "Ok, find me a Cherokee for less than $3000.00". They couldn't (which I already knew) and they gave me a check for $2600. Oh, and I still drive my "totalled" jeep every day.