Teves anti-stop brakes

Guest steakneggs

Guest steakneggs

I found out why my Teves pump has no pressure. It's not getting any fluid. I replaced the return hose but the problem is the reservoir. Fluid would not come out unless I poked a piece of wire up through the outlet and pushed up on some spring-loaded valve. What is that thing anyway? I drained all the fluid through there while I held it open to clean it out but it barely dribbles out when I take the wire out. What should I do? Get a new reservoir? Steak&eggs

I don't know if it was you or someone else that called me with a similar problem. For the benefit of all, I will give my take on what you might do.

There is a filter in the bottom of the resevoir. I suspect that over time it could get plugged. You can attempt to clean it. I would remove the resevoir from the car and plug the holes in the bottom. Buy 3-4 bottles of rubbing alcohol and start with one bottle and let it set a few hours to work. Then shake and agitate the alcohol then drain it out one of the holes in the bottom that go to the master cylinder, I would not drain it through the extreme bottom hole, this would just further clog the filter.

Put a second bottle of alcohol in and shake, if possible attach compressed air to the extreme bottom connection and allow about 2-5 psi of air to blow back through the filter.

I am not sure how you might do it, but it would be ideal to force the alcohol through the filter via the extreme lower outlet, this would backflush the filter.

Finally with another bottle of alcohol, allow it to drain out through the filter via the extreme bottom opening.

If you get good flow, you can probably use the resevoir.

Otherwise you will need to find a good replacement or see if you can find an original, which is no longer available

from GM ...the part number is 1646522