1912 Buick Model 36 Where is it now?

I have posted some photos of photos (link to brassauto) http://www.brassauto.com/brass-pages/index.html of a 1912 Model 36 Roadster that I purchased when I was in my late teens and had joined The Navy(1988-89). I purchased this car for $9500.00 and the fellow I boughtit from allowed me to pay out on it. I sold my 1931 Ford A coupe(Which I had restored and was my daily driver) to finish paying for the Buick. I was so proud of this car.I next set about to disassemble

and catalog the parts. The engine had previously been overhauled, but never run. The hood was a reproduction. I had a set of reproduction brass headlamps- they were for Buick but we weren't sure if Brass was correct for the '12. We also weren't sure if this was a '12 or late '11. The radiator shell was painted black. I do not remeber the

frame tag number, I may have it written down but cannot find it now. We also were not sure if the rear lamp was correct. Otherwise the car was original and untouched. the dirver's side suffered moisture damage as you can see because it had been parked along side a stone wall or foundation for some time before the man I bought it from had

purcahsed it. The spring shackle pins had suffered alot of wear,presumably from dusty roads and lack of maintenance. The magneto was a Splitdorf and the coil box was there, but missing the key. I remember under the box cover was list of do's and don'ts and one said "do not dissect the magneto unless you are an expert as we put the right number a wheels in it when we build it". I plugged away slowly and did not have too much time to work on it. In 1993 after I left the Navy I was compelled to sell the car due

to some poor planning, at a ridiculusly low price to Dragone of Brigeport. Later I once called,and the car was apparently sold to an overseas buyer. I wonder if anyone knows the fate after that? Hopefully it found a good home. I recently saw a '12 M36 on e-bay the description stated one of 4 known- can anyone validate that? I would

have thought there were more around, If I remeber from research there were at least a thousand built.

Does anyone know of this car today?

post-31196-14313796524_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Mark,

No, not likely. Was this destroyed in one of the wildfires we out east hear about? Too bad the structural parts would require heat treatment to restore their strength properties (not to mention the straightening). I supposed the cast iron parts are salvagable, as well as the tank. Thanks for showing it I was interested and kind of saddened by it.

Scott

No, it was not burned in the California fires. I got it in Oregon with no explaination of how it got burned.

I salvaged the engine, tranny, rear end, & brakes for spares. The acetylene tank w/straps is now mounted on my 13 Buick touring car. I also got a spare tire mount & a great pattern for a rear mounted tool box for my 15 speedster.

I sold the rest of it to others who needed the frame, steering column, and other misc. parts.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Scott:

There were 1600 Model 36's in 1912. Since the same engine and frame number series was used for Model 34's, model 35's and model 36's, frame numbers ran from 1 to 9050, engine numbers from 1 to 9059. If you ever find the frame number, I'd like to know what it was.

Regards, Dave Corbin

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The burned out 1912 Buick used to belong to a friend of mine here in Oregon. If you need to contact him for more information about the car, I can give you his information if you email me at keiser31@charter.net. The car had just been completely restored and was supposed to be picked up by the owner. There was a shop fire started by a faulty wired tool that destroyed it the day before it was to be picked up by the owner. I bought the 1926 Chevrolet landau coupe that was scorched also. There was also a partially restored Studebaker truck involved in that fire. The Buick was a beautiful gleaming red and brass car and brought tears to my eyes when I saw it after the fire. Everyone who can...PLEASE cover your cars in your garages with fire insurance. Some of these cars are too rare to be totaled by fire. John

• 1 year later...