WTB. New Gas tanks 1950 Olds, 1957 Olds

Guest oldmobile1

Guest oldmobile1

Any one know if anyone sells new tanks for 1950 Oldsmobiles, or 1957 Oldsmobiles?? Will the 57 chevy tank fit the 57 Olds?? Thanks Doug

Guest BobOlds

Tanks, Inc. sells a version of a Buick tank (#B-1c) that appears to have the dimensions of the '50 Olds tank. The filler is at the right place. I can't confirm the rest of the dimensions since they don't show them and you'd need to contact them for those dimensions. Try their web site. I'm hoping to use this tank for my '50 but I'm nowhere close to that stage yet. Don't know anything in the '57 tank.

Bob

Found the Buick tank dimensions that look like they'd work on the '50. 31.5" long, 27.5" wide, 7.5" deep.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
Guest Golden Rocket
Any one know if anyone sells new tanks for 1950 Oldsmobiles, or 1957 Oldsmobiles?? Will the 57 chevy tank fit the 57 Olds?? Thanks Doug

Fusick is now selling fuel tanks for the 1950 Oldsmobiles. Check their catalog# 70

Fusick is now selling fuel tanks for the 1950 Oldsmobiles. Check their catalog# 70

Following the advise of the 1950 Olds guru Bill Ersham I purchased a new tank Oct 2014 from Fusick for my 50 Olds 88 hardtop. I was skeptical but soon became Very Pleased with the authenticity and the entire transaction with Fusick. I had to cut and remove the left dual exhaust pipe in order to drop the old tank.

I would recommend buying a new sending unit and straps so everything goes together easily, works and looks right when finished. Why spend money on restoring the old unit when the new one is so good? The original sending unit screws were 10-24 (coarse thread) with copper sealing washers. The replacement tank is prepped for 10-32 (fine thread). I used button head screws simply because I had them on hand. This would be an opportunity for Fusick to offer an installation kit. I forget if a gasket was included but I had several on hand anyhow.

I had to modify the sending unit slightly by relieving the spot welded reinforcement pads with a Blair spot weld cutter to install the sealing washers. I left my tank unpainted. My straps were in excellent condition so I painted them silver galvanized after searching for and finding an 'of the era' Olds factory photo to verify the color. One might count on a preliminary fit of the tank to the car in order to see if the sending unit tube aligns reasonably with the chassis tube; I had to pull the tank and rebend mine.

Finally, I installed a new fuel pump bowl gasket ( NAPA 5019 ) and a new fuel line hose (Weatherhead 11205). Good luck

post-31787-143142851946_thumb.jpg

post-31787-143142851953_thumb.jpg

post-31787-14314285196_thumb.jpg

post-31787-143142851967_thumb.jpg

post-31787-143142851973_thumb.jpg

Edited by dep5 (see edit history)