power antenna repair

Scottydog

Go to the nearest Chevy dealer and buy the kit. I recently repaired the antenna in my 98 Olds Aurora. They don't list that car, so I bought the kit they listed for Chevy and it works fine.

The part I bought was #22038195. It lists for $37.63, and I got it for $30.10 + tax with my discount, in June of this year.

I moved to a new area and the dealer insisted there was no such part, so I had to call the Dealer in the town I moved from to get the part number.

Have fun.........

I couldn't tell you how long it was, I didn't measure it. I do know the Chevy Parts books books don't list them for a Chevy that year either, but I have replaced many over the years and know they will work, so I bought it for the earlier year and it worked fine. My bet would be if you have a GM vehicle with a factory antenna, it will work.

If you can find a GM dealer in your area that stocks the kit, perhaps you can talk him into letting you measure it. It comes in a plastic bag and there isn't much to it, just a cable with the top section of the antenna attached. I understand it's a $30 gamble if you are not sure, but I have yet to do a GM antenna that it won't work in, even though the book doesn't say so.

Most parts people don't want to screw with it, they would much rather sell you a $300 antenna assembly that a $30 repair kit. It's an easy fix, just drill out the rivets and remove the snap clips that hold it together. You have to unscrew the little knob off the top of the antenna so the top link can slide out. The nylon cable comes connected to the top link. Slide the new top antenna link back up the center of the antenna and wind the cable around the spool. You don't need to rivet the case back together, just use the snap clips that come with it.

Guest kevinshea

Rocket

I am repairing a power antenna for a 1954 buick.. your explanation is consistent regarding the assembly of the nylon cord to the tip piece. Does the kit come with black insulators?

I found the part # cheaper, at gmpartsdirect.com but with shipping it is about 30$. going to the part dept and measuring/looking at cross section is a good idea.

I tried weedwacker cord and it doesn't work - too round. I tried zip-ties and the shape is right but it doesn't pull.. maybe more testing there. For mine, it looks to be all about the cross section.

WOW..! You really smacked me across the head with that one..! A '54??

I know the kit I used fits a lot of years, but way back to "54? I don't know about that.

It's not real accruate, but measure your antenna in the up position. I'll check mine. I'll open the trunk and try to get an overall measurement. Obviously that is just a "Sorta" measurement, but better than nothing for now.

I don't recall that it came with rubber insulators, but then, in my experience, the vehicles were much newer, so the rubber was still in great shape.

Anyone who is so desperate as to have tried weedeater line and zip ties, is a man ready to experiment...!

WOW..! You really smacked me across the head with that one..! A '54??

I know the kit I used fits a lot of years, but way back to "54? I don't know about that.

It's not real accruate, but measure your antenna in the up position. I'll check mine. I'll open the trunk and try to get an overall measurement. Obviously that is just a "Sorta" measurement, but better than nothing for now.

I don't recall that it came with rubber insulators, but then, in my experience, the vehicles were much newer, so the rubber was still in great shape.

Anyone who is so desperate as to have tried weedeater line and zip ties, is a man ready to experiment...!