searching across Craigslist, Hemmings, Collector Car Trader...

A few months ago I created some scripts to help me find a new Corvair. I wanted something to search nationwide and quickly. When I shared this with other Corvair people as a web site, they loved it and I was asked to add more vehicle makes. I've added just about everything you can imagine, and I add more daily. GM, Ford, MGs, Porsche, Triumph, on and on...

Fast forward to today, and I have a rather large "site mash" that goes out to Craigslist, eBay, cars.com, Hemmings, etc etc.. in search of Vehicles for sale. I've done all this for fun, and since people seem to like it I share it.

Long story short, if you are looking to buy something.. it might be listed here:

http://jaxed.com/cgi-bin/ms.cgi

--jaXed

jaXed,

What you have done can only be described as the most AWESOME and disturbing tool for locating a certain car that I have ever seen.

My wife will soon be banning me from entry to your site, as it means several more non running project cars will be added to my limited back yard.

You are my KING! You ROCK!

Guest VeloMan

A super idea. Would it be possible to configure it so other names could be entered manually instead of selecting from the list?

Phil Jamison

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VeloMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A super idea. Would it be possible to configure it so other names could be entered manually instead of selecting from the list?</div></div>

The searches are "canned" because each one takes a few minutes to complete. The best I can do is add what people request.... so if you have a suggestion, let me know.

--jaXed

Guest Noel Adams

HELLO JAXED, THIS IS A BRILLIANT IDEA, CAN IT BE USED FOR SEARCHING PARTS LISTED FOR PARTICULAR MAKES OR JUST COMPLETE CARS FOR SALE???..........NOEL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Noel Adams</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

HELLO JAXED, THIS IS A BRILLIANT IDEA, CAN IT BE USED FOR SEARCHING PARTS LISTED FOR PARTICULAR MAKES OR JUST COMPLETE CARS FOR SALE???..........NOEL </div></div>

It can do parts too. The [p] indicates parts for that make. I don't have parts for everything, but.. as I said.. just ask.

I've also just added Packard and Cord as well.

Guest Leonard Shepherd

Wonderful site but...

I see Studebaker Avanti but not regular Studebakers

I posted it on the Studebaker Drivers Club forum. Hope you don't mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leonard Shepherd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wonderful site but...

I posted it on the Studebaker Drivers Club forum. Hope you don't mind. </div></div>

I've added Studebaker in general.

Guest Leonard Shepherd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jaXed</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leonard Shepherd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wonderful site but...

I posted it on the Studebaker Drivers Club forum. Hope you don't mind. </div></div>

I've added Studebaker in general. </div></div>

Thank you very much!

Indeed. Tried it last night for 5 minutes and came across a pretty rare Packard convertible sedan right here in CT. I would consider it a "barn find" even if it is not a "barn price, but still an pretty good deal I think. Well, I can't take on a third right now, especially if it is a project so I sent the info on over to the Packard forum..

Would it be possible to add a year range feature? Often, many of us brass people are as interested in a year range, (say 1900 to 1915) as particular make/model (and could it not require a make/model, since there were hundreds in earlier years).

Great list, Thanks and Merry Christmas.

This is cool! Thanks!

I ran across something similar for searching across multiple or all Craig's List sites in the country. It is totally free format and the search fields directly mirror all of the Craig's List fields. If you are familiar with searching Craig's List, this will seem a very natural extension to you.

http://www.crazedlist.org/

Your search is more broad, jaXed, across more places with cars/parts for sale. This "Crazed List" search will search for anything at all, but only on Craig's Lists.

Shut this thing down before it adapts to satellite spying in all the barns, or listings for every garage sale, auction, estate sale and church bazaar worldwide. Just as Ebay has nearly extinguished a real live swap meet, your program is about to break the barrier of "some day" finding the car of ones dreams. Dangerous. I nearly bought 2 more cars the first time I did a search. Talk about playing with fire....

• Haha 1

This is a great little tool

is there any way to add a year search?

I agree that a search for year and make would be a nice addition.

One thing I like about this search tool (in addition to it searching multiple sources) is that it searches across the country. Always wished I could search Craigslist in all areas with one search. With Craigslist broken up into specific geographical areas within each state, you have to do multiple searches just to cover one state entirely and many more if you want to cover surrounding states (unless I am overlooking something on Craigslist). Sometimes I amlooking for something I need want or bad enough that I don't care were it may be.

Thanks for sharing your search tool JaXed.

IMO this should be made permanent at the top of the forum. Or the Business ads forum. It's a great fun way to search all of the modern options for locating a car.

Hey all, I've been following this thread... and the requests keep coming in I see! I will be getting to them.

I've recently overhauled the parts mash to support free-form searches. This means you can search for "67 mustang" and come back with the parts for that year of Mustang.

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/sd.cgi

Some of you may not like is as much as the original (no more pretty pictures), but give it a try. I will be working on sorting and adding state matching as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BruceW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing I like about this search tool (in addition to it searching multiple sources) is that it searches across the country. Always wished I could search Craigslist in all areas with one search. With Craigslist broken up into specific geographical areas within each state, you have to do multiple searches just to cover one state entirely and many more if you want to cover surrounding states (unless I am overlooking something on Craigslist). Sometimes I am looking for something I need want or bad enough that I don't care were it may be. </div></div>

Bruce-

See my earlier reply where I tell about "Crazedlist".

Jim,

I appreciate you pointing out your previous post.

I guess one of the times that I skipped over the previously read posts to read the newest ones, I must have skipped down too far and completely missed your post on the crazedlist.

Thanks.