1948 dodge fluid drive

thegenerallee

Hello,

I have a 1948 dodge deluxe with the fluid drive transmission. I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of fluid to use?? The service manual says to use Mopar fluid drive fluid, but I can't get it at any part store I have been to and no one knows an equivalent fluid to use. Any help would be great...

Thanks.

I restored a 1950 Chrysler Windsor C48 Club Coupe with a fluid drive transmission almost 30 years ago. It seems to me that I used a standard weight ND motor oil but it's been so long - I can't be sure.

Go to the Walter P.Chrysler Club web site and ask this same question. I'm sure you will get a response.

Good Luck.

Guest Hinckley

Check out Destoland, a really cool site with an active message board. One fellow, Jon Robinson, is very knowledgable and is quick to respond.

He has a '50 Desoto with fluid drive he has driven more than 200,000 miles in the past twelve years. As an added plus he works at Napa.

This subject has been covered in depth on the Chrysler and Dodge sections of this board. Look back a few pages for "fluid drive" and the like.

I use tractor fluid, called THD for transmission, hydraulic and differential oil. ISO 32 grade.

Complete directions for servicing and operating your trans are here but frankly I don't feel like typing it all out again.

The fluid drive is an excellent, durable trans but needs a little TLC and special treatment, meaning a slightly different driving technique than what you are used to.

So check out a couple of the old threads you will be glad you did.

I got a related Fluid Drive question:

I got a 49 Chrylser Windsor with three floor board fluid holes: One for brake fluid, one large one for transmission fluid and the last one I'm not sure about. It is located on the left hand of the passenger side. Would that be the opening for the fluid drive fluid?

Thanks for a reply