1976 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Crown Landau - Help

Michelle 76 Olds

I am looking for any information/value for my 76 Olds. My dad ordered this car when I was 10 years old and would show it in local car shows. He passed away several years ago, I would like to know anything about his car. I do know, it has a Rocket 350 V8 and is fully loaded (including Option Y-61 crown landau package - Hurst appearance package) This one option alone was $598. The car has 44,004 original miles and is black with maroon interior. The reason I am having trouble finding information, is because the car is rare due to the high cost it carried in 1976. The car is currently at my mom's house, but I would like to know more about it. I would appreciate any and all help - thanks for reading my post.

Michelle

Malvern, Ohio

You already know more about the Crown Landau than most hardcore Olds people. It kinda chaps the Hurst/Olds crowd to learn that, technically, the Landau was THE 1976 Hurst/Olds. The landau roof conversion was in fact done at the same Hurst shops who converted the A-body Hurst/Oldses. I have some warranty info stuff in the 1976 Service Guilds & Tech Bulletins; other than that and the sales literature, there's not a lot of specific info on the Landau since it was a regular production option for the Royale coupe. I've never even seen a production breakout, though I'm sure Hurst has the records somewhere. Visit www.hurstolds.com and see if they may have the CL records. I know they got a lot of other Hurst/Olds records from Demmer.

Black/maroon, huh? Bet that's a looker- what color roof? There was a gorgeous dark blue one with white interior and roof here for many years, along with a silver/black. I've seen a lot of Persimmon (metallic orange) with white ones too. It's rare to find one in nice shape now, since most of them led hard lives after the original owner and just faded away. The last few I've seen on auto trader sites were advertised as demo derby cars. mad.gif Yup- I'd like to own one, since to me they are the best-looking of the 74-76 88s.

The OCA is very active in Ohio and the Canton area is very active old-car-wise. My green Starfire came from Massillon.

Glenn,

Thanks for the information!! Would you have ANY guess what the value would be? The car looks like it just came off the showroom floor and being 31 years old I didn't think many would be around - but derby cars (that's just wrong)!!! When I asked the Hurst/Olds Club of America, they said it was not badged a HURST. The roof is the brushed metal band with padded maroon vinyl.

Thanks again,

Michelle

Well- a 1974 Delta 88 convertible Indy 500 Pace Car replica isn't badged as a Hurst/Olds either, but they accept those, and to my knowledge the 1974 88 pacers never passed thru the Hurst shops as the Crown Landau did. But... their club, they can do what they want. I've held H/OCA membership for years, but some in that group can be very cliquish.

Michelle, in all honesty, the Hurst package doesn't add much to the value of these cars. As I said earlier, most hardcore Olds people don't know what it is, and all the interest in Olds right now seems to be concentrated on 50s cars and musclecars. I know of several outstanding 70s big Oldsmobiles that are reasonably priced ($5-6000) and no takers, which is a shame because they were as nice a car as Olds ever built. frown.gif

Since the car is a one-family-owned 44,000 mile car, a professional appraisal might be in order. Contact these folks http://www.cantonclassiccar.org/ and they should be able to steer you to a qualified appraiser.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Joe_Varley

There is a Lime Green '76 88 Royale Crown Landau here in the Phoenix area. The guy is not a club member, but he took it on a 225 mile trip (one way) the club made 4 weeks ago. You don't see them anymore for the exact reasons Glen said. The roof band won't add much to the value. The value in yours is the miles, condition, and great color combo.

Joe Varley

AZ

• 6 years later...
Guest Kansasdon

I ordered mine in spring of 76-Lt.metalic blue w/royal blue landau top(to cover those UGLY rear side windows on the reg. models). Also ordered the wire wheel covers rather than the regular ones that matched the body color. I ordered the blue cloth interior and elec antenna. Several of my friends said it was the most beautiful car they had ever seen. From what I have seen (on Mec... auctions on TV) you may be able to get in the mid to high teens And perhaps more due to low miles, original car & the sheer beauty of your factory modified car.

Wow- hadn't thought about this thread in a while! Maybe it'll bring out some other Landau owners.

I bet that light blue w/ dark blue VT was sharp (same colors as my 76 Ninety Eight so I might be a bit biased). Always thought Olds should have resurrected the Super Stock IV Polycast wheels for the RCLs. Those would have been the perfect wheel for them.

The 74-76 Buick-Olds-Pontiac B-body coupe rear windows were downright stylish compared to the ones Chevrolet and the Ninety Eight coupes used. Always thought GM Styling could have done better than that.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow- hadn't thought about this thread in a while! Maybe it'll bring out some other Landau owners.

I bet that light blue w/ dark blue VT was sharp (same colors as my 76 Ninety Eight so I might be a bit biased). Always thought Olds should have resurrected the Super Stock IV Polycast wheels for the RCLs. Those would have been the perfect wheel for them.

The 74-76 Buick-Olds-Pontiac B-body coupe rear windows were downright stylish compared to the ones Chevrolet and the Ninety Eight coupes used. Always thought GM Styling could have done better than that.

Any photos of the cars? Can't say I've seen one of these.

• 2 years later...
Guest KCDelta

My father has a 1976 old Delta 88 Royale Crown Landau in mint condition. Original owner with 72k miles always kept in garage. Color is burgundy inside and out, with brushed steel band and padded white vinyl top. Any ideas on how to value and possibly list this car?

• 3 weeks later...