Steering wheel removal

cortica

I'm trying to remove the banjo steering wheel on my old Champion. I have made a yoke that fits around the back of the wheel hub and am using a drum puller to apply pressure on the steering shaft. Even after applying substantial load the wheel will not budge. The problem appears to be corrosion due to dissimilar metals at the splined connection between the pot metal (aluminum?) steering wheel hub and the steel steering shaft. Does anyone know of a way to break this bond short of destroying the works? Will heat work or is there some chemical that will loosen this bond? Thanks

Cork - Mpls, MN

Hi there, went through this with our 34 dictator , soaked it with inox penitrating fluid every day for a month as I had already tried the same method as you. after that time I applied the pressure and warmed the centre of the wheel with a heat gun, we then gave it a firm hit on the back with a soft hammer and it finally released its grip on the shaft

Good Luck, Geoff

Thanks, Guys,

I got it off. I used some penetrating fluid and, using a big socket over the shaft, gave the hub a couple of good whacks hoping to break the bond. I reinstalled my homemade puller and applied a fair amount of tensile force. It broke loose with a big bang and then slipped right off. Thanks again. Good forum - nice to talk to owners that have faced these problems.

Cork, Mpls, MN