Wood graining on '41 Buick interior window trim & dash.

DAVES_BUICKS

I am having the interior of my '41 Buick Model 46S (2-dr sedanette) restored (along with the exterior), and am looking for a source that can properly refinish the dash and window trim with the correct two tone colors and wood grain pattern. Does anyone have experience with a source that has refinished '41 trim or any suggestions on a good source that I could contact? I've seen some that have been refinished that didn't look correct. Thanks

Dave

Dave,

Welcome to the forum. Doug Seybold of Westlake, OH does full and part restorations of 40-41 Buicks, so I am sure he can help you, You can reach him at 440.835-1193. He also specializes in the engine turned dashs, if you want to redo that.

Good Luck.

John

Guest imported_Thriller

Welcome aboard...listen to John. Doug Seybold is THE MAN for the '41s. He and I have been playing a bit of phone tag over the last little while.

Now how about sharing some photos in the "Me and My Buick" forum? I'm always happy to see more '41s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've seen some that have been refinished that didn't look correct. </div></div>

I feel the same way. I don't think I've ever seen a wood grain restoration that really looked right. Many times the process used is fine, but the grain seems busy or disarrayed.

From what I've been told the woodgrain was a decal that Buick laid on a flat piece of sheet metal. This metal was then stamped into the shape of the dashboard. That would cause the grain to travel all the way across the dash and not 'clash' from one side of an opening to the other. Most reproductions seem to miss that concept.

I doubt I've ever seen Doug Seybold's work, so he very well be a virtual Michaelangelo of wood graining. I hope so. He certainly has his supporters, which is a good sign. But they could also be old and blind. grin.gif

Seeing a sample or two of his work might make your mind up for you.

Guest imported_Thriller

That may very well be...I can't say that I've seen Doug's work, but he does it and he deals with 40 & 41 Buicks. I've heard enough good about the man to be able to recommend at least talking to him.

Guys, thanks for the input. I'll check out his work. Derek, if you go to the Buicktown chapter website, you can see a picture of the car under the heading "members cars". It's the black and pearl grey 2-door. It was also used in the 1978 75th anniversary Buick catalog. I've owned it since 1963

Dave