sitting a long time

Guest ricko1

Guest rickomo1

ok the v12 in the sedan has been sitting quite a while and i dont know how long. the motor was rebuilt professionally not long before the car was retired. I have put good penetrating oil in the cylinders and have drained the oil and thats all. i want opinions on what to do before i try to turn it over by hand, other words engine lubrication or any other ideas like how should i turn it over or what has worked or not worked for you guys. thanks ricko

Hopefully the penentrating oil will do it's thing on the pistons and rings. I would remove the distributor and coil assembly and grip the area between the belt pulley and front damper with a good size pipe wrench and try to work the engine free. It might come "loose" right away but if it doesn't work the wrench back and forth and hopefully it will start to turn. It doesn't do much good to put anything in the crankcase until the engine will turn over. After the engine turns over you can put some light oil or kerosine in the crankcase and roll the engine over with the starter. Do this with the spark plugs removed. You can add more penetrating oil or Marvel Mystery oil to the cylinders and roll the engine over with the starter. This will pump some of the oil in around the valve stems. Once you get it freed up you might want to check the compression to make sure you don't have valves stuck open. I think I'd drain the kerosine before trying to start it and use regular oil. Turning it over several times with the starter will get oil thru the system and displace most of the kerosine. Good luck

If the engine is still stuck after using Marvel Mystery Oil, you might try using some KROIL or SILIKROIL (Kroil with silicone added). KROIL is by far the best penetrating oil I have ever used. It's not available for regular sale to the general public but it can be ordered from Kano Labs in Tennessee. Check out: http://www.kanolabs.com/ You'll need a company name to order the stuff.

Guest rickomo1

Thanks for the input, the oil i am using now is Marvel mystery oil so it sounds like i have my weekend filled with fun and frolic.

Guest rickomo1

well had time this afternoon to play with the engine so i hit it again with oil and for grins i thought i would try to turn the motor over with the fan blade. No problem she seems real smooth so step one done before it starts raining here for 6 months.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rickomo1

I may be slow but i am going to get there. She turns over good, compression is good, but as always theres a but. no spark so i had to pull the distributor and coil, points were burnt slightly, one side of the coil is open so i had to borrow from my crated motor. what is the gap on the points? And i know if i searched previous post i would find out who would you suggest to rebuild the bad coil so i can remain lazy. I also love it when you learn after doing it the hard way, i was using a wire for a remote starter when a man saw me working and came over to talk about the v-12, in doing so he said why are you using the wire when ther is a button for the plunger on the backside of the starter i thanked him and all he could do is grin, i bet he will be back.

Rick, you might save yourself a heck of a lot of grief by just shooting the whole distributor and coil to Jake, he will check and adjust everything, rebuild your coil and properly synch the dist, trying to set the points is usually a can of worms, and the engine will seldom run right. Jake has a very fast turn around time, and the few bucks and a short wait will be well worth it, maybe beers all around after the exertion of arm-wrestling with Jim over all that '41 stuff, see ya