Hershey Show NOT family friendly

Steve & Linda

News flash for whomever was in charge of providing restroom facilities on Saturday, 10/12 at the Hershey meet: the vast majority of us women in attendance consider portable toilets UNACCEPTABLE!. You can't change the baby's diaper in one of them, for starters. On 11 am Saturday, I walked from the show field to the Giant Center and was turned away from there by security because the Center was not due to open until 1 pm.

Get real, show organizers. If you want to see me back at the show, supporting my husband and bringing the kids (future of your hobby) along, make more family friendly arrangements.

Linda

AACA Life Member

'47 Studebaker Champion Starlight Coupe

'49 Nash Ambassador Brogham

'50 Studebaker Commander

'51 Hudson Pacemaker Sedan

'67 Ford Ranchero

'03 Ford Thunderbird

RE: Portable Toilets - I personally didn't like feeling that I must "pay" every time nature calls either.....can't we have some "un-manned" portalets?

This was also the first time I noticed Giant Center not being open to use the bathrooms....but it was also just my third trip to Hershey.

Those porta-johns are gross for men too! It's a really long walk from the show field, but there are permanent facilities under the bleachers at the Stadium. I second the vote to open the Giant Center to the public for Saturday morning.

Guest ClassicCarGal

I saw two older ladies get turned away very rudely by security at the Giant Center. One even went as far as to say she couldn't make it if she had to walk any further. Come on guards, have some common courtesy!

The worst part was he didn't even refer them to any nearby port-a-johns!

Oops, I forgot there are closer permanent restrooms on the other side of the bridge past the food concessions going toward the Stadium. Still a walk though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ncgirl05</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RE: Portable Toilets - I personally didn't like feeling that I must "pay" every time nature calls either.....can't we have some "un-manned" portalets?</div></div>

Trust me, I am more than willing to drop a quarter in the tip pan on each visit. Those folks are there all day every day keeping those porta-johns clean, stocked and provide moist wipes and alcohol gel for visitors.

I do think that providing a few private baby changing stations would be a good idea, along with an area for nursing mothers and their babies. We went to the Crab Carnival in West Point, Va. and one of the churches there opened their doors to the mothers with infants.

Diaper changing is a problem I hadn't thought of, wonder if they make bigger out houses with a changing table. Paying to use the port-a-johns, I consider the people directing traffic at the toilets as beggars and don't contribute to there game. They add nothing to keeping the facility clean or any thing else other than pointing to doors with green flags showing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim Bollman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

They add nothing to keeping the facility clean or any thing else other than pointing to doors with green flags showing. </div></div>

Then you might have seen one lazy person. I have seen many that are on their feet all the time. Checking the condition of each "john" before someone goes in and cleaning/restocking it if necessary. They keep the toilet paper stocked so that all the johns are available for use so there isn't a long wait for the one or two that still have some. Gee, forget your hand wipes or alcohol gel at home on in your car? They have some there for you to use.

Folks with kids want clean toilets to take their kids into.

Go to one NASCAR race, use a porta-john there, and you will change your attitude about the folks that will do a job that I bet you wouldn't do....for any amount of money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shop Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ncgirl05</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RE: Portable Toilets - I personally didn't like feeling that I must "pay" every time nature calls either.....can't we have some "un-manned" portalets?</div></div>

Trust me, I am more than willing to drop a quarter in the tip pan on each visit. Those folks are there all day every day keeping those porta-johns clean, stocked and provide moist wipes and alcohol gel for visitors. </div></div>

If they are there to keep the porta-johns clean - fine - that's what they get paid for by their employers. What I don't like is the TIP jar in front. I don't keep a tip jar on my desk at work.

Guest my3buicks

It's service industry, just like a waiter/waitress, cleaning person fo your hotel room, etc.

I was impressed by the cleanliness of the port-o-johns this year(and I own a commercial cleaning co and notice such things)

How much are you paying for the whole hershey experience and your griping about a .25?? Probably the same venders that had their items marked 10 times what they are worth

are the ones complaining (just kidding)

I also heard on more than one occassion the attendant directing females into the toilet he had most recetly wiped down.

Changing area's are needed without a doubt.

Guest windjamer

Right on shop rat. For crying out loud people, havent we (my self inc.) trashed the best club in the world enough the past five days?? Now where bit--ing about the port-a pots.?? I watched the attendent at the show field, believe me she earned every nickle and dime she got. I also saw some put there hand in the jar and pretend to drop a quater.Pretty cheep I think. We have had five days to cool of and think, now lets ALL get togather for damage control and support OUR club. My 2 cents . Dick

Thanks windjamer.

And it is quite possible that those folks are not paid at all by anyone other than us. At many events we have found out that port-o-john attendants were there as volunteers raising money for churches and charities.

Maybe someone from the Hershey Region can shed some light on that.

First of all: AACA does NOT have the rights to the GIANT Center! The region nor the national club can force this issue as the entire building is rented by the auction company.

This is a huge event and we could not possibly do it without the rented bathroom facilities. Afterall, this is a once in a year operation. Linda, I wil discuss this with the region as their may be portable toilets that do have diaper changing facilities. Each bank of toilets does have a larger one for handicapped reasons.

As far as the attendants, I would not want their job! I have seen some very concientous attendants keeping the stalls clean, etc. Gald to tip them but as always, that is a person's choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1937hd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always leave a dollar bill in the Port A John tip jar thinking there is a <span style="font-weight: bold">cheap SOB </span>that doesn't leave anything. Thanks for proving me right on than one. That gal directing people to the open stalls on the show field really had that line moving. </div></div>

Wow - that's really not necessary is it?

By the way, I only used the porta-potties once, and I DID leave a big $.25 tip.

Guest Debby Soucia

Well I was very impressed with one lady who saved one " for ladies only". It was great! I told her how happy I was with it and I left $1.00. It was worth it to me!

Not to back peddle to much, but since we have are own Port-a-Poty on our space, I only use the public ones a few times during the week. I never saw anyone do anything other than directing traffic. Now the companies do a good job of keeping them pumped and do clean them well when they come through.

I just knew when I made the posting about the tips I would stir up a bunch of comments.

Jim...

The facilities were the most plentiful that I had ever seen. For porta-potties, I felt that they were quite clean. I brought my cousin as a first-time visitor and he also remarked that the facilities were adequate, well maintained, and the lines were not all that long. Early in the morning, we used one that was unlocked (it was an emergency) and got a dirty look from a guy who immediately snapped a padlock on the door, and just then we realized that they must have been for vendors only. I still think a fine job was done by all involved. Outside of one cranky parking attendant, I had the best time ever! For an event this big, one must expect a few glitches. Keep up the good work.

This show is just not freindly at all. The Portable Toilets

are gross, but I don't see an easy solution. The walking

is what got to me. I'm a health 47 year old who walks 10 miles a day at my job, and this was a trek.

I had limited time there and wanted to cover as much of the show as possible. With the way the

fencing is around the parking, and making two trips back to the car with large parts I never saw a big portion. I know several people who haven't gone to this show in years becasue of this. There are sevaral easy and cheap solution. Make the walk shorter, by sharing the show and parking lots. Organize the vendors a bit, maybe by make(?). Last compress the fields some.

Who is conllecting all the vender space fees? Parking fees? and camping fees? They should put in real

bathrooms.

Eric

Steve,

I appreciate your taking the matter into consideration. As someone who has been attending the fall meet since the early 80's,I know that organizing such an event is a gargantuan task. For years,though, the show field was in close proximity to Chocolate World,the stadium and parking lot facilities. Accessibility has only become an issue since the field was relocated 2 years ago to a more remote spot.

I attended a Concours d'Elegance in Newport, RI where the restroom facility provided was in a portable trailer. Of course the scale of the event was much smaller. Maybe that could be considered.

Lastly, the issue of the folks manning the portable toilets is not one that I brought up; I feel that those folks worked hard at a thankless job. Their gratuity system should not be begrudged.

Linda

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Changing area's are needed without a doubt. </div></div>

As a child care worker myself, I have to say that car shows themselves are (in some repsects) "not family friendly". I would very seriously question the parenting I've seen at many car shows, though rarely at Hershey.

I've been walking swap meets since the late 1970's. I've seen hundreds of dehydrated, sunburnt, neglected babies and toddlers being bounced around in strollers and wagons. Some have been so poorly cared for that I've feared for their saftey and have been tempted on several occasion to call the authorities. Had I had a cell phone in the 1990s I <span style="text-decoration: underline">know</span> I would have. I've <span style="text-decoration: underline">never</span> been angrier at a car show than the several occasions when I've seen toddlers literally passed out from the summer heat, frying ignorred in the back of Radio Flyer.

On that note, I'd like to suggest that <span style="text-decoration: underline">family shelters</span> be provided where the changing tables can then be located, perhaps one in each field. These would just be simple tents where shade, dry shelter, and rest/play areas are provided for little kids. It's rarely hot enough at Hershey that dehydration is a serious issue, but it's frequently cold enough that shelter provided would help vulnerable children aviod exposure and even (on really cold mornings) hypothermia.

Interesting comment:

"First of all: AACA does NOT have the rights to the GIANT Center! The region nor the national club can force this issue as the entire building is rented by the auction company.

This is a huge event and we could not possibly do it without the rented bathroom facilities. Afterall, this is a once in a year operation. Linda, I wil discuss this with the region as their may be portable toilets that do have diaper changing facilities. Each bank of toilets does have a larger one for handicapped reasons."

But the Hershey AACA show is the sum of the whole. Every venue - auctions, security, vendors, organizers, etall are the Fall event. The public perception of how they are treated by the individual venue participants will send a message about how great or how bad the AACA Hershey show is.

A good show, Hershey or any other, is as great as the organizers ability to satisfy the needs of the participants. It is the organizators who need to stress to those of the venues to use common sense-- assist those who need assistance, and attend to the small stuff. No mater how insiginficant.

Unfortunately, the portapotteys are the common denominator of humanity.

Humm....

Not to be argumentative, but if AACA is able to hold the Judges Breakfast in the Giant Center, then possibly some other use of the Giant Center could also be arranged....

But, as I said earlier, while it is fair to offer constructive criticism, we need to also acknowledge the great work that the Hershey Region puts into this monumental task each year. Consideration of some of the ideas offered here could result in an even better Hershey Show, which is what I think we all want.

Matt, what amazes me is that these same types of disagreeable situations happen to all of us during the workday, but hardly ever a word. Just don't let it happen on "my day off". smile.gif

Just the chance to meet you and others that I hadn't seen for a while makes my day. The sore feet, and backed up bladders are now just a forgotten memory. wink.gifsmile.gif

Short term memory loss is a wondrful thing!

Wayne

It was a pleasure meeting you as well. After getting a late start on Hershey (just last year), and with all of the problems that have been mentioned, I don't plan to ever miss Hershey. I plan to do my best to make it there every year until I am physically unable to do so. Next year I have to go earlier so I won't miss as much as I did this year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: humm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It is the organizators who need to stress to those of the venues to use common sense-- assist those who need assistance,....</div></div>

Sadly common sense seems to be sadly lacking these days.

My dad will be ninety-one in Dec. Like many men even younger than he is, he has an enlarged prostate. Even back when he was in better health he "couldn't wait".

Back a few years before my mom died she got a case of food poisoning from a fast food restaurant. They wanted to make sure it wasn't something more serious. So they took her for X-RAYS. She told the two young MALE (I stress that they were male because my mother was in her eighties and a very modest lady) technicians that she had diarrhea and that she needed to go. Rather than take her to the nearby restroom, they made her stand there and go down her legs. My mother was humiliated.

That guard that turned that lady away should have let her in and made a call to his supervisor and explained.