Hershey Car Corral

Sharc

Guest Leonard Shepherd

I thought the car corral was excellent. It sure was better that several years ago when you had to take a bus to it.

Prices high were they?

I always wonder about car corral pricing at mixed crowd events like this. It seems like a lot of work to bring an old car by trailer to sell and then price it in such a way that you will end up taking it home.

Or put another way: I wonder what the percentage of sales to offered for sales is? What price does it sell for compared to what it started at.

In real estate market analysis they can do this because most of the information is available but not necessarily in car sales events like the Hershey Car Corral.

From what I could see the layout looked fine, however this was the first year I didn't have time to walk through it. In years past it was a traditional after dinner stroll, cheap window shopping. I can remember when the Car Corral first started, and we stood around an engineless '32 Ford 3Wondow with a $4,500. asking price thinking it was a good deal, that was MANY years ago!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sdbraverman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I liked the linear format. I thought it was an effective use of space, and it made the cars easy to view. The prices were somewhat ridiculous on most of the cars . .</div></div>

Ditto ! I thought it was great walk through easy to view and move through !

I liked the layout and as usual there were a lot of nice and interesting vehicles. Thursday I fell in love with a 71 Rancho Squire with the 429 that was in great condition. The wife also saw it Saturday on the way in to the car show and told me to go get the details as she too likes them, of which I knew better.

True, this years corral was an effcient use of space, but compared to previous years, somewhat inconvienent. I liked it better when the Corral was in the middle like a "hub" and the flea market fields were "spokes" off of it. The corral should be condensed where practical as a square shape offers. Trying to compare two vehicles when they're seperated by a mile in the "linear format" means alot of walking. Also, walking the corral in the morning is a enjoyable way to see whats available while waiting for the vendors to open up shop. At that point, each field is about the same distance away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sharc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From what I been reading most would like to continue the format for the next few years. </div></div>

The Car Corral layout this year did mean a lot more walking that in some previous years. For some of the older or physically challenged AACA members and spectators this will be a issue in future years if the linear layout is continued.

Yes it was an efficient use of space. Hopefully next year the section of the car corral through which the show cars must pass will be restricted to parking ON ONE SIDE ONLY. It would also be a good idea to use some form of barricades, etc. to try to control/protect car corral spectators on Saturday morning. Some of these spectators came very close to being living, bleeding, hood ornaments on several show cars because of their total disregard for show cars moving through the area.

Hershey Region learned the hard way this year that parking on both sides and the spectator crowd caused BIG HEADACHES for show car owners, Hershey Region and the National Club. With some refinements to the layout of the Car Corral, this problem can be resolved.

Guest ClassicCarGal

I had spaces in the car corral and all I heard were complaints! Everyone thought it was too far of a walk! Put us back out in front of the Giant Center in the parking lot! It was great out there 2 years ago. That way people there to buy cars can look through the corral and easily access the auction as well. I would hazard to guess most buyers didn't make it all the way around the corral, way too far to walk!

Also, more signage would be great. In addition to selling my cars I served as directory assistance all day. There needs to be more signs indicating what field is what and where the car show is. I also noticed that some ground marking stickers had washed/worn off by Friday.

I look forward to Hershey every year and can't imagine not going. However, it frustrates me greatly to bring people to Hershey who only end up getting turned off Hershey and or the AACA by crabby security and lack of signage.

We tried are best to provide ample space between cars that spectators and vehicles could pass in the same area. there was 18.5 ft. between the cars front ends.Some sort of barracade may be an option for next year for the show.

Guest myfirstbuick

I'd like to add my $.02 about this years' car corral - I think it was the best arrangement yet. I was able to walk around and investigate all the cars one after another without having to loop all around and backtrack. If it was up to me, I wouldn't change a thing. Hurry up Hershey '08! grin.gif

Guest imported_Packards1

I really liked the layout, plenty of room and right next to one of the fields. Also easy to get to from the parking area for the green field.

I liked the layout. I personally think the car corral is a critical feature to the overall event and should be promoted and nourished. While the swap meet seems to be gradually diminishing, the car corral gets stronger (with the exception of the mud fest last year).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packards1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">plenty of room </div></div>

Did anybody see the poor guy with the white '65 Skylark convertible? He was parallel parked between a huge mid '70s Cadillac and a Dodge conversion van. If for some reason he'd have had to move that car, he'd have had to drag it out sideways. There's no way he would have been to pull that car out of it's space - or put it back in. Parallel parking should be eliminated, or much bigger spaces given.

Paul

Does anyone know the name of the individual selling the late 70's Dodge tradesman custom "party" van? I showed a friend a picture of it (which I got off of someone's page-link from here and now can't find) and he's very interested in the car. Would the AACA car corral organizer have a record of the owners?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrpushbutton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know the name of the individual selling the late 70's Dodge tradesman custom "party" van? I showed a friend a picture of it (which I got off of someone's page-link from here and now can't find) and he's very interested in the car. Would the AACA car corral organizer have a record of the owners? </div></div>

A great idea would be to post pictures and descriptions of the cars prior to the event. Like I said before, this needs to be promoted. Twenty years from now there will be a car corral, some auctions, a greatly diminished swap and a show with lots of chevettes :-). I want a reason to keep going!!!

Guest Leonard Shepherd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oldsfan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Packards1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">plenty of room </div></div>

Did anybody see the poor guy with the white '65 Skylark convertible? He was parallel parked between a huge mid '70s Cadillac and a Dodge conversion van. If for some reason he'd have had to move that car, he'd have had to drag it out sideways. There's no way he would have been to pull that car out of it's space - or put it back in. Parallel parking should be eliminated, or much bigger spaces given.

Paul </div></div>

Yes, I saw it.

post-52673-143137952684_thumb.jpg

How about that huge (truck-sized) red sports-racer with the pointy brass nose that was in Hyman Ltd's area of the car corral. I neglected to take a good picture of the card that was in the windshield. Does anyone know what that machine was called or its significance? No, I'm certainly not interested in purchasing it--just curiosity sake. At one point on Thursday afternoon, we were there and a fellow was working to get it started, and boy what a crowd of people that gathered around. Eventually it roared to life and was quite the spectacle! If I can manage it, I'll try to post a picture. It also had a "boat" tail and the nickname "Spartan" painted on it's flanks.

post-34222-143137952795_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1926pack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The license plate says Hyman Ltd. Maybe Hyman has some info on its website. </div></div>

Yes, you're right. I'm hesitant to try contacting them, though, as I definitely would not want them to get the impression that I am interested in purchasing the car (which I am not). I did browse their web site a bit and found no obvious references to this particular vehicle.

Anyway, I just thought if any "civilians" here amongst us might've gleaned any info about the vehicle (perhaps even if it's just a readable photo of what the windshield card said)...

Thanks again!

I really liked the car corral set up the way it was this year. The corral is certainly one of my favorite things at

Hershey and I visit it several times if i can. I too always think the prices are ridiculous but then the next year I think back and say "Boy, I wish I had bought that ----- last year!" This year I really liked a 1954 VW Beetle closed car. It was nicely restored though not in a great color for me. Sort of a drab green. It was priced at 37,500.

Truthfully I felt that was awfully high for a closed car. Then again, come next year it might seem like a buy. However, I forced myself to leave that bargain to the next fellow. A friend sold a 1954 Buick Skylark Conv't he was asking 55,900 for. He took a hair less of course. The car was not without issues but it would be a real pretty driver for someone. I think that was excellent value. I look at the Car Corral like most any type of collectible show. There are good deals and bad deals. If you know what you want and the range you want to pay you'll be real happy. I have purchased several cars over the years at Hershey and taken five to sell in the corral. I never had to take any of those five home. I truly enjoy the car corral.

I agree with you Dave. The Car Corral is always one of our most fun places to browse--fun seeing car after car and visualizing how one might enjoy it if it were part of your own collection.

That '54 Bug, by the way, earned a Senior award at Hershey 2006--it is very nice indeed. We also had a lot of fun looking at that '70s-style Dodge Tradesman van that has been mentioned earlier in this thread--now there's a real "time capsule" for a particular automotive fad!

Here is an overall Car Corral view I snapped on the busy Friday afternoon:

Hershey2007CarCorralFriAftrnn.JPG

Guest Stonefish

I wonder if the buyer knew that the 54 Beetle had an incorrect sunroof? Someone told me the seller was presenting the car as an original...it was originally a hard top car.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stock_steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about that huge (truck-sized) red sports-racer with the pointy brass nose that was in Hyman Ltd's area of the car corral. I neglected to take a good picture of the card that was in the windshield. Does anyone know what that machine was called or its significance? No, I'm certainly not interested in purchasing it--just curiosity sake. At one point on Thursday afternoon, we were there and a fellow was working to get it started, and boy what a crowd of people that gathered around. Eventually it roared to life and was quite the spectacle! If I can manage it, I'll try to post a picture. It also had a "boat" tail and the nickname "Spartan" painted on it's flanks.

</div></div>

Thanks to Mr. McPherson's excellent & well-labeled photos, we now know that this car is called the "1915 Van Blerck Spartan."

I also received a brief note back from Mark Hyman, in response to my inquiry about the car. Quoting: "There is no literature on this unique auto. it was hand built by a friend of mine!"

Doing a bit of internet browsing, it appears the car was also shown at the "'Art Center College of Design - Car Classic '07'," ref last couple of thumbnails on this page: http://www.supercars.net/gallery/143302/1410/6.html

Anyway, very cool!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Restorer32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Van Blerck was a manufacturer of large marine engines exclusively, including an Inline 12. </div></div>

Looks like 12 spare sparkplugs on the firewall? ref:

http://photos.aaca.org/showphoto.php/photo/12476/cat/564

Is this a 12, or a 6 with two plugs per cylinder, perhaps?