Hershey Finds

Steve_Mack_CT

I figured I would throw out a different Hershey related thread. (heard enough complaining..) Anyone care to share any unusual or outstanding finds? Did you get a great buy or miss something you wish you found??

Besides a rebuilt Model A trans and some other parts, I also added to my gas and oil stuff. Small find but I bought four Texaco ashtrays - late 40s I think, with vintage "pin up" or calendar girls on them. Neat but not too risque - even my wife liked them! I understand there were 12, so I have something else to work on for the Texaco case. Never seen these anywhere else, total investment under $50 for all four. If anyone can date these I would like to know that - thanks.

Anyone find anything unusual or interesting that they want to share?

Guest Leonard Shepherd

I have seen these before, but I would really like to have one of these red translucent steering wheels for my 52 Studebaker. They are made by Shrock Brothers. A little too pricey for me though.

post-52673-143137952012_thumb.jpg

Steve, What is wrong with you? How could you have a good time at Hershey when it was all screwed up, don't you read anything around here? It was horrable this year, all my Hot Rod buddies were buying stuff in the flea market while everyone was stuck on line at the car show. I made a deposit on a Frontenac overhead valve head for a Model T Ford, something I've wanted for 40 years or so. The fact that it belonged to a friend who offered it to me first makes it a bit more special, accepting time payments is a big plus. Spending time with true friends is what made Hershey special this year, Best Hershey Ever for me!

Bob I missed your spot - I had it marked as I wanted to stop and say hello - did meet Novaman & Restorer32 -both nice guys. Was having dinner at the CCRAACA spaces not far from your spot in the Choc. field and re-checked my list it was late by then, sorry I missed you. We left Saturday AM but will try to hook up another time, as we are both in CT!

Ohv head sounds pretty cool! (I also admit to snapping a couple pix of the A-V8 dry lake style cars that were built by a 25 year old in the Choc. field also!)

Yes, a good year, even Thursday AM rain - beats the office!

Had a great time at Hershey. Did not make it around to see everybody even though I wrote down all of the DF'ers space numbers.

Still looking for a semi-reasonably priced correct Owen-Dyneto OD-01, OD-02, or OD-03 wiper motor.

So I could say I bought something (other than all of the chocolate the family bought in Chocolate World) I bought a 2008 AACA Calendar.

I was contemplating the fact that this was our 40th year in the flea market and realized that 40 years X average of 3 and 1/2 days per year equals 140 days which means that<span style="font-weight: bold">4 and 2/3 months of my life have been spent in the flea market at Hershey! </span> I also realized that in 1979 when we started restoring professionally '55 Chevs were still 1 year away from qualifying to be shown in AACA competition.

Hershey is mostly a social occasion for us, and pretty much always has been--and this year was certainly among the best--though I could probably also say that for every year out of the past 20+ that we've been attending. My happiest "find" was a nice supply of very reasonably-priced metal valve stem caps--these are the nice dull-looking ones, with knurls, and a slight "cone" shape at the top (helpful for actuating the tire valve). I have noticed that they are *nowhere* to be found in local stores these days (absolutely including "car" stores like Autozone, Pepboys, etc.), and I've actually taken to purchasing some over the internet in recent years, which is a killer, both due to price and shipping charges. So, anyway, I'm well fixed for nice metal valve caps for a while now, thanks to a vendor somewhere in, I think, the Chocolate field.

Guest imported_kingsting

I got to see a bunch of old friends that I only see once a year at this show. The real reason I spend all week there.

I did pick up a very nice Raleigh bicycle for a good price early in the week. It's a model I've been after for a long time but the ones I had found in the past were always overpriced or in bad condition.

I found a E3 Beverly shear and got it for $80, I wasn't looking for one but I couldn't pass it up.

After carring the 56 LB shear a mile back to the car I questioned my judgement.

As far as cars on the field.

http://159.218.3.3/10-12-2007%20Hershey/10/PICT3827.JPG

http://159.218.3.3/10-12-2007%20Hershey/10/PICT3822.JPG

http://159.218.3.3/10-12-2007%20Hershey/10/PICT3824.JPG

They did that when it was new. The new front-drive Ruxton was extremely low, and five of them were painted in this "rainbow" fashion for the bigger auto shows. Four still exist. Whether complimentary to the car or not, it was done to attract even more attention than just being lower than anything else in the show.

Ruxton did paint cars with those horizontal stripes. I have no idea whether or not this particular Ruxton was originally those colors but it certainly was not outside the realm of possibility. The car is owned by the Nethercutt ( Merle Norman Cosmetics) Collection. Very, very well restored car.

Guest Debby Soucia

Well we are still looking for the 1926-27 Hupmobile horn, did find tubes and flaps for Humphrey. Also our big find was a 6 volt bull horn. My husband seen that and could not leave it there. He had to have it. I was hoping he would get it on the car for our last show this weekend.

I found a sweat shirt that has a wreck type old car on it and say's "Hershey (the car is here)the finest junk". I can't wait to use that next year. We found greese fittings for the old cars that we have been having a hard time finding. A car cover for our junk car. Good parts catalogs for the Ranchero and some parts for that.

All I can say it was three carts full for 3 days. Not bad!

Parts and stuff! Got everything I was looking for for the brass T, and added some spark plugs to the collection too. Found a couple of other trinkets for the early automobilia collection and even a nice early auto print. I'll try and post some pics on the Collectables forum later.

Terry

Guest myfirstbuick

I got all the Packard parts I went there to get, and even a couple for my Buick. But the one thing that was my best find was an original 1940 Chevrolet Accessory booklet. That is why I just love going to Hershey - I always come across stuff that I can't find anywhere else, and once I find it I realize I can't live without it. Last year it was a rear bumper for my '40 Chev Sedan Delivery. They only made 800+ of these cars so to find a bumper in excellent condition was just the best.

I always find stuff to buy, nothing really rare or hard to find this year.

It is good to see old friends and such. It is interesting how the hobby works sometimes. Friday afternoon my neighbors of many years asked if I knew anyone with a 53-54 Chevy. I said I did and he gave me a new tailpipe for one. He said he didn't want to haul it home. I dropped it off at the fellows house (80 year old youngster that is in our cruiser group) on Monday. He was delight that I thought of him and offered me some parts to take to Hershey next year. He said I could have them for free, but I told him we would sort them out next Summer and I would split any profits we made. So more parts were found to recycle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awe, geez, Wayne.

How about removing one of those people photos! Or at least crop it. sick.gif </div></div>

Is that a contest? What do we win if we can ID who the clebrities are? This is going to be tough for the "Young Members" everyone it talking about.

It would be interesting to know names to match the portraits, Wayne. One of my friends about 20 minutes from here bought an early water-pump T Ford at the auction. (It is a shame that I dont have a stray 125"wb Twin Six Packard frame lined up to come here underneath it in the same container).

Regards, Ivan

The weather look great in all the photos,

i follow Hershey weather all year long, and have my Calander marked for next year, hopefully this time mmy Boss will not decide to take a course in Scotland during Hershey week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ivan_Saxton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would be interesting to know names to match the portraits, Wayne. One of my friends about 20 minutes from here bought an early water-pump T Ford at the auction. (It is a shame that I dont have a stray 125"wb Twin Six Packard frame lined up to come here underneath it in the same container).

Regards, Ivan </div></div>

That looked like a great car, just did a quick walkabout they were turning out the lights at the time. I know it's a three didget car but forgot to see if it was two pedal two lever or upgraded to the standard setup. Australia's gain, our loss, but my guess is that it will have great stable mates.