Name: r0ck / Car: 1966 Buick Riviera GS

r0ckstarr

My father was deer hunting near Kurbyville, Tx. Said that he got lost in the woods and was confused about where he should be hunting, so he started walking in the direction he thought he should go. Turns out he was headed the wrong way, ended up on somebody elses land, and found an old barn that was collapsing.

While walking passed the barn, he seen what looked like a car hiding inside. Upon closer inspection, he noticed that it was an old Buick. Knowing that I had been wanting a Riviera since I was 14 (I am 28 now), he found the owners of the barn. They said that the car had been sitting in the barn since about 1987. The registration sticker on the windshield confirmed that by its expiration date.

The owners agreed to sell the car, and my father called me and told me about it. I drove up there, trailor in tow and had a look at it.

We used the owners tractor to drag it out of the barn. Curious to see if it would even turn over, we pulled the battery out of the truck and stuck it in the Buick. Bumped the key, and it turned over. We disconnected the fuel line so not to get any of that old gas into the carb.

Using a coke can, we poured gas down the carb while turning the car over. After a few seconds, she fired up. As long as we kept a steady stream of gas going into the carb, it would idle.

The car only had 26k miles on it when we found it, and has a detailed list of service records confirming the mileage up until 1987.

Moments later we had the car loaded up on the trailer and was on our way home with it.

Since then, I rebuilt the transmission, all 4 drums brakes, and alternator. Got lucky and found a NOS 1966 carb on eBay. Gave it a full tune up and a fresh set of tires along with other miscelaneous things, and it was ready to roll.

Since then, I have been slowly restoring it for the passed 4 years. The suspension is about 80% rebuilt, and the paint is peeling off in alot of places, exposing the brown primer underneath, but that soon will all be taken care of.

100_4671.jpg

100_4672.jpg

100_4675.jpg

6d67f772.jpg

30e80904.jpg

4fb1b7ec.jpg

394e78d0.jpg

100_0901.jpg

ac2b3646.jpg

100_97602copy.jpg

And here is a parts car that me and a friend got off of eBay.

9150838f.jpg

a30dbf22.jpg

This is another 425 that we are rebuilding for my friends Riviera.

100_3644.jpg