radio works intermittently

Guest gtwassociates

Guest gtwassociates

1991 Reatta: Symptom is that sometimes radio will not play (also the antenna will not rise) when the power button is pushed.

The audio level appears but will not respond to up or down commands. None of the other buttons work when this happens ... for favorate stations or to scan etc. Another symptom is that when the power button is pusehd again ... the time appears ... but the time is fixed at 1038 am. and does not change. Also the set function will not work to change the time. One time the radio played a station and even the power button would not turn off the radio.

Someone has had this problem I hope. It is like a gamble going in to the car ... am I going to have radio this time or not?

I believe there are two power lines to the radio. One is hot all the time to keep the clock and memory alive. The other is hot when the ignition is on so the radio will work. If one of these is intermittent, you can have the problems you describe. Check for loose wires or fuses. Might be a fuse that has a bad link in it. So replacing the radio fuse would be a easy start.

Guest gtwassociates

Thanks, found both fuses and both were ok. I beleive the Radio is dead. The time never changes on the display. What radio replacement to select? Found no "reatta radios" on ebay, just wiring harnesses. What radio replacements have members found work well?

Guest jcc3inc

Sir,

I'll bet Jim Finn has a radio for your car. jfinn@cpinternet.com

Also, if you do get another radio, do you know if your tape player on the radio in question works(worked)? My 91's tape player doesn't and I'd like to get a replacement.You can reach me: jccinc-at-owc-dot-net

Regards,

Jack C.

Guest gtwassociates

thanks for suggestions. The 91 does not have the radio module in the console ... just the box in the dash

I am going to pull the radio today to see if there are any obvious component failures

I agree with 63viking. I used to repair car stereos for a living, and your problem sounds like it is the connection that feeds power to the radio continuously. That is the circuit that runs the clock and the CPU. When it starts working again does the clock have the correct time?