COLORS of PEERLESS CARS

jeff_a

I can find no evidence of the factory colors of Peerless cars for these years: 1925, 1927, 1929 and 1930. Does anybody know?

It shouldn't be too hard to find, but I've only found a few hints (what some restored examples are today) and glittering generalities.

---------Jeff Brown

In the original folder of the Peerless SIX-72 FIVE-PASSENGER SEDAN (1926-1927), they give these specifications :

"Standard Colors :

(Closed Cars) - Blue, Drab, Green, and Grey. Two-tone effect on all models except Limousine, which is Blue with Black upper structure.

(Phaetons) - Blue and Grey.

(Roadsters) - Two-tone effects in Brown, Green, Blue and Maroon."

I hope this could help you.

Ph. Mordant

Dear Philippe,

Thank you for the color information on the 1927 6-72. I did not know there were that many color variations. The only color mentioned at the auto color library site that may be for Peerless is "Peerless Deep Blue".

I am interested in buying a condition #5 1927 6-80 Sedan and wondered if the manuals and sales booklets you have desribe the colors available for it. I recently saw a photo of a similar model at a museum in New York which was Turquoise and Black. The famous Peerless Landaulet that was used in a Jeeves & Wooster episode is Primrose Yellow and Black...but I'm not sure if it's a 6-80, or a 6-90 with a Collins-designed Peerless motor like the car you have. Note: it's a 6-80.

Did you ever get to read the investment magazine article comparing the Three P's of Fine Motordom?

All for now, ---Jeff

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

I found some more information on factory colors of Peerless cars. In a September, 1927 magazine ad about the 1928 models, it says that the Model 6-80 colors are Rolls-Royce blue, London smoke and Ohio blue in duo-tone lacquer finish. Cars painted with Rolls-Royce blue have window reveals of Ivory.

The Model 6-60's have color combinations of Killarney gray, Ohio blue, and Pine Grove green. These are arranged in duo-tone with window reveals of a lighter shade.

In another magazine ad, I read that colors for the 1927 Model 6-60 Peerlesses were Midnight Black, Soft Tan, and Rich Wine.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

I agree. It would be kind of like offering a 2009 Chrysler in "Cadillac Black" or "Jaguar Green". The Model 6-60's and 6-80's were Peerless' two least expensive lines. They must have been trying to add a little bit of an "uptown" sound to the names of the paint colors. Who knows, maybe there was an instantly-recognizable shade of blue on Rolls-Royces back then that was popular in the auto world. At least it sounds better than "Hackensack Green" or "Los Angeles Grey"!

• 3 months later...

A new find on Paint colors for 1929!

A set of original paint chips from Acme White Lead and Color Works for Peerless cars is on ebay for about 3 more days:

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Stutz Royal Red [*]Obsidian Blue [*]Ohio Blue [*]Ivory [*]Polo Tan [*]Amber Brown [*]Buckingham Brown [*]Griotte Green [*]Opal Green [*]Mocha Stone Gray

And another use of a competitor's name for a color...

I don't know what Mocha Stone Gray is. Sounds more like what you'd get on a '99 Lexus than a '29 Peerless.

Ohio Blue, however, is when you take a quart of Proxlin Packard Blue, add 14 ounces of Basic Tinting Maroon, and a touch of Proxlin White.