Removing instument pod cover

Guest FILBERT

Guest FILBERT

How do I remove the dark instrument pod cover? I found the two phillips screws underneath, but nothing budged. Where are the hidden screws I can't find? I'd like to get it re-covered without having to take in the whole car.

Guest Joe F. O'Neill

Hi Filbert,

I used to have a link to a web site that showed how to remove the pod cover, but the link doesn't seem to work anymore.

Anyway, there is another screw under the small triangular piece of leather on the left top side of the pod. That can be "popped-up" with a wide/flat screwdriver, it's only clipped in. There is another screw on the right top side, under the long flat leather strip on top of the dash. Just need to pry up the end closest to the pod. I've done it several times, so can guide you through removal/replacement.

Joe

Guest FILBERT

Okay, today I popped up the triangular piece and removed (and lost down the hole!) the third screw, but I'm afraid to pry up the long flat leather strip. Does anyone have a manual that shows the proper process before I destroy my otherwise nice dash? I know the parts are old and brittle, so I'm trying not to force anything up or out!

Filbert, the long flat leather strip is actually a piece of sheet metal covered in leather, which has about 6 plastic snap-in clips. You won't break the metal piece. I started at the passenger side with the single clip at the pointed end and worked my way to the left from there. I used the opportunity to clean out the debris that accumulated under the strip, clean and condition the leather and reattached.