Buick 38 - Empire of the Sun

Beama

hello

a friend of mine bought a 1938 Buick that featured in the film Empire of the sun - http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_25947-McLaughlin-Buick-1939.html

i have been taking some shots for him and thought you may be interested, we would also love to hear from anyone who has more information on this wonderful car.

1461499067_e64f1ee8d7.jpg

1461496957_f8bd8fbbd4.jpg

1462353050_a6615d1cae.jpg

you can find more photos here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbeama/sets/72157602206323440/

many thanks

Guest ZondaC12

Yup '39. Cool though! And imdcb says it was "used by a character or in a car chase" Nice. Makes me wanna see the movie just to see your car runnin around!!! 7/10 on imdb, guess its a good movie too!

Post up some more pictures, like some other angles on the other sides of the car, and the interior and stuff!

Guest imported_Thriller

Keep in mind that the production year and calendar year have not been equivalent since the very early days of automobile manufacture. In those days, I believe the new model year started October of the previous year (so the 1939 model year was introduced in October of 1938). So, if your car was built in December 1938, it would be one of the earlier 1939 models.

1939 saw big changes, from larger window areas to the more easily identifiable grille. Since your car has this grille, it is definitively a 1939 model and is why everyone has been so adamant about it being a '39.

I hope this helps your understanding a bit. It's a great car with a great history. I really hope you enjoy it.

My 1938 Buick has a build date of September 1937 for the engine and a little later for the body. But its a 38!

Now If you watch the movie this car gets into some serious action on the airstrip.. [for me at least its heart in mouth stuff].

I'm not brave enough to do that with mine but it did look good on the big screen.

It was this very movie that rekindled my affection for these cars leading to my current affliction. Earlier in the movie you'll notice there is a Black Packard as well used by the family. Fantastic.

You have a great car there! Enjoy it.

Regards

• 2 months later...