water distribution tube on 6 cylinder

Guest austinsailor

Guest austinsailor

My '47 coupe has a 6 cylinder. It's had a problem with overheating for some time. I have the radiator in the shop getting it in top shape, but it may not be the problem.

I understand this motor has a water distribution tube similar to Chrysler products. On a Chrysler, this tube can corrode and cause overheating problems. All the manuals I've found have lots of detail on the V8, but don't mention the 6 cylinder.

Can anyone give me any information on this - anything posted on the web, a source of a manual that has the info on the 6 cylinder, a description of where to look and how to get this tube out or checked?

Guest austinsailor

Well, I found a manual. A 1947 manual specifically for the 6 cylinder. Another benefit of the web. How else would you find a 60 year old manual in a small bookstore in upper NY? Got it today and it shows most things you'd need to know about the 6.

It does show the water distribution tube. It does not tell how to get it out or anything else about it. But, now I know where to look, that it does exist and if the motor still over heats I know to check it out. The radiator has been cleaned by a good shop and I'm only waiting on some brake parts.